looking for mac and cheese recipe. [Recipes]

2009 Aug 27
i am looking for an easy mac and cheese recipe. the one i have previously used had 1 1/2 lbs of wonderful cheese and required a lot of work, but this will be lost on my audience of toddlers and parents. i am looking for a simple mac and cheese recipe with a sauce that can be made quickly and doesn't require a special trip to the cheese shop.

2009 Aug 27
Hello hipfunkyfun,

I have tried this recipe once and it was good!

Tom Jefferson's Mac and Cheese

I first thought Thomas Jefferson was cook's name...

2009 Aug 27
I get good results from the Alton Brown recipe. It's probably not the easiest of recipes, as it does involve making a bechamel rather than just throwing it all into a gloopy heap, but it's not difficult.

www.foodnetwork.com

2009 Aug 27
My wife has 2 staple recipes - one takes a long time, and the other is quick and easy. I just emailed her to ask if she has them online.

In the meantime, I just stumbled upon this the other day and it looks interesting

www.thekitchn.com

2009 Aug 27
This is my mom's recipe that I still make today, though I do add a bit more milk after making the cheese sauce because I like a saucier mac - I just add enough extra to get my desired consistency.
And look, hff... no trip to the cheese shop if you have Kraft old!

Macaroni and Cheese

3 cups macaroni
4 Tbs butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 Tbs flour
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
some freshly ground pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 Tbs HP Sauce
a dash or two of Worcestershire Sauce
a dash or two or three... of Tabasco (opt.)
3/4 lb old cheddar cheese

Topping:
2 or 3 slices bread, finely diced
2 Tbs garlic butter (eg Lactantia)
~1/2 tsp rubbed dried basil

Boil a large pot of water; add a Tbs of salt. Add macaroni and stir frequently while cooking to al dente; drain and reserve.
Melt butter in large pot or Dutch oven. Add onions and sauté on low heat until softened (~10 minutes). Add flour and stir until there are no more lumps. Add milk and heat on medium, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, dry mustard, HP Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco (if using). Bring to a gentle boil, stirring more often, and then reduce heat and add cheese; stir until smooth. Add noodles and stir to coat. Add more milk if you want a creamier sauce. Remove from heat.

Topping: Melt garlic butter (such as Lactantia’s) in medium bowl in microwave; add bread and basil (or oregano or thyme) and stir to coat; microwave to warm and distribute the butter. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni.

Bake, uncovered, at 375̊ for ~1/2 hour or until the topping is golden brown.

2009 Aug 27
Easy-
From Cooks Illustrated: I add frozen peas to the boiling noodles for the last couple of minutes. Adds color and a little nutrition.

STOVETOP MACARONI AND CHEESE
2 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard , dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , American cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
mix eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, and mustard mixture in small bowl; set aside.

3. Meanwhile, heat 2 quarts water to boil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender, but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butter; toss to melt.

4. Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with three-quarters of the cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining milk and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes.

2009 Aug 27
Cauliflower and tomato, easy as anything:
www.bbcgoodfood.com

2009 Aug 28
i think i will try the tom j recipe. it is fairly similar to my own, but seems quicker. thanks all.

btw, i have tried a few recipes that call for egg, including the cooking illustrated one. i have found the egg does not incorporate well and it becomes *eggy*. that isn't necesarily bad, but i want a cheesier version (must be the cool weather).

2009 Aug 31
i made the tom jefferson mac & cheese recipe posted above. it was a very easy, creamy sauce. with 1 lb of macaroni, there was about 1/2 cup sauce left over. the topping of panko crumbs, melted butter and cheese was really good. overall, a good, simple, basic recipe. the sauce takes about 15 max, so do it while pasta is cooking, then pop it in the oven for 20 mins. i took mine out a bit early (hungry kids) and it was still good. the flavour of the sauce will totally depend on the quality of your cheese. also i used a generous 4 cups of shredded cheese.

i will make this again and next time i will try a different blend of cheese. also, i got talking and left the mix of the roux and milk bubbling a little longer than i should have (it was sticking to bottom of pan) and the sauce still turned out fine.