Looking for Meat! [Food/Vendor]

2009 Aug 24
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to find a local supplier of ethically raised pork and chicken. I've already found a wonderful beef supplier that raises grass fed beef in Aylmer. (www.refordbeef.ca/index.html for all those who are interested.)

But now I am trying to find chicken and pork but finding it difficult. Does anyone know any local producers who use humane methods? Thanks in advance.

Jodi

2009 Aug 24
It really depends on what you mean by "ethically raised". There are chicken shares you can buy at Landsdowne and there is heritage pork that is available as well. I am sure also that there are people on this site... I'm looking at you Greener Acres (IrishGal2) that raise their own animals as well.

2009 Aug 24
What are chicken shares? How does that work??

2009 Aug 24
Because of certain bylaws in Ontario, a farmer cannot commercially sell chickens unless he has over 10000 chickens. When you buy a chicken share, you are buying a share in the farm (the chicken part of the farm). Thus you are considered a part owner in the farm and you are no longer buying chicken (meat form). You own the chickens and when it comes time, you will get the chickens that are yours... in the form of delicious meat.

2009 Aug 24
Use the search box above and search on "localvore", and then start contacting people for details on how they raise their animals

2009 Aug 24
Thanks so much for the help!