kraut knife (cabbage shredder) [Cooking]

2009 Aug 5
Anyone happen to ever see something like this in their travels? It is like a giant mandoline.

i.e. where to get one? locally, ideally

2009 Aug 5
No. How wide is that? I have no idea of the scale of said device. The reason I ask is because Starfrit makes a cheap handheld slicer and it costs about $10 at Zellers. Very handy for shredding cabbage, but not very wide so I find I have to quarter a medium sized cabbage to make it fit the width of the slicer. Otherwise, I might have a stainless steel mandoline I could trade with you, if you wanted? I need to find the blade kit though.

2009 Aug 5
Oh yeah, should have mentioned that an average head of cabbage fits into the square - though I did mention "giant mandoline"

Though I may still be interested in a mandoline for other stuff

2009 Aug 5
I use my meat slicer for thinly slicing cabbage for coleslaw...is long and super thin okay for sauerkraut? I eat sauerkraut often but i have a hard time imagining the size of the initial shredded cabbage...

2009 Aug 5
LOL - I figured as much with your "giant mandoline" reference. That truly is a giant mandoline, though, my relative sizes of cabbage got blown out of the water this weekend when I saw THE LARGEST CABBAGE I'VE EVER SEEN for sale at Produce Depot. They called it a Lebanese cabbage, extremely flat and wide (oblate?), kind of like a steamroller ran over a cabbage patch. I've seen this type of cabbage before, but not as big as what I saw. I was tempted to buy one. Anyway, I'll PM you with details on the mandoline I have up for grabs, though, I really need to find that blade kit because it's pretty useless without all the extra blades.

2009 Aug 5
There was one posted on used ottawa for months that I just searched for and it is no longer there? Too bad..