Pollan in NYT [General]

2009 Jul 30
Although I occasionally feel the NYT's food section is slipping (the blog entries about regular people's unremarkable kitchen experiments kill me, I don't want to read that kind of stuff in the food section of one of North America's biggest newspapers) this was a thoroughly excellent read:

www.nytimes.com

I take cooking very seriously, and I have to admit that when I sit down to enjoy a meal I have prepared I am often not all that hungry anymore. Why? I am not so sure, I think it is a result of the physical exertion because I don't snack as I cook. So I definitely buy Pollan's hypothesis that "more time spent cooking" = "lower rates of obesity".

I also found it somewhat surprising that although cooking shows are rather ubiquitous these days, people are spending less time cooking. I guess I figured that people were watching all these shows and becoming inspired. I rarely get the chance to see the Food Network but when I have seen Jamie Oliver cooking vegetables in his kick-ass garden I think to myself..."I want to do that!"

2009 Jul 30
Couch potatoes is what people are. It is like my biggest joke of all time - the "Sports Bar". What a misnomer! It's a bar where fat coach potatoes get together to drink beer and eat incredibly unhealthy food, and get fatter ostensibly while watching other people play sports.

That's what cooking shows are ... same thing.

2009 Jul 30
Tracinho-
There was many a night when I still cooked for a living
"professionally" that I would finish a shift hungry, same with my
colleagues.

Zym - I disagree about the cooking shows, it's true for some but a few do take
the time to discuss/encourage food culture. Certain shows inspire me,
(Jamie Oliver's show set in his garden) other shows are sad (Rachael Ray's
30 minute meals)and just don't really have any value.

2009 Jul 31
Orleansfoodie: I was referring more to the situation where I set out to make dinner feeling ravenous, and after 45 minutes of hustling my hunger has completely subsided. I certainly appreciate that hustling for 8 hours in a resto kitchen is an entirely different animal all-together.

However, this raises an interesting question I have had recently. I can't help notice through articles such as this: www.thestar.com/article/669640 and anecdotes gathered from my friends in the food service industry that many people who cook professionally have minimal interest in cooking for themselves on their own time.

In your experience, is this the case? Did you or your work colleagues find yourself a cringing at the thought of cooking on your off-days?

2009 Jul 31
Orleansfoodie - I disagree with your 'other shows are sad...' comment. I will say that Rachael Ray is very annoying, however, she is letting people know that you can put together a healthy meal quickly.

I know so many people who think cooking is an ordeal (it is, but that's another show! LOL), and are terrified of cooking anything from scratch. Although she is not my favourite, there is a market for talents.

Tracinho - I guess it's how you look at it - is it work when you're at work or do you actually enjoy it?

2009 Jul 31
An interesting take on the Food Network & celebrity chefs, c/o Ron Eade & his interview with chef Michael Smith: communities.canada.com

2009 Jul 31
Trachinho- It used to be the case, I was (we were) younger making modest wages and certainly more concerned with having fun over cooking elaborate meals for ourselves. Sandwiches were quite a staple for me then and still are today actually. I have always loved cooking for others but not quite as much just for myself; that is changing though.

Jojo- I don't know that Rachael Ray's show aim is healthy eating...