Wedding Menus [General]

2009 Jul 26
So I pick up my copy of today's Ottawa Citizen and there is a front page photo of Jason Spezza (Ottawa Senators beloved golden boy) and his lovely wife Jennifer Snell who celebrated their wedding here in Ottawa yesterday.

There is also a 2 page spread (A6 & A7) with more photos and story inside.

One of the things (as a Foodie) I found interesting was the Menu, which was catered at the National Gallery by Tulips & Maple (tip o' the hat to the folks at T&M, several of them who are OF Members).

WEDDING MENU

Fresh Bread & Butter
Premiere Moisson baguette and eight-grain bread served with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and caramelized brown butter balls.

Seafood Platter
Fresh lobster, king crab, oysters, garlic shrimp, marinated calamari and octopus, served with lemon wedges and three sauces - traditional cocktail, mignonette and remoulade.

Pasta
Ricotta and chard-filled cannelloni with braised wild boar shank and tomato basil or cream sauce.

Entree
Portobello-crusted roast grain-fed veal strip loin with fresh mushrooms served on a bed of roasted vegetables and sweet potatoes.

Salad
Sweet greens with balsamic vinaigrette.

Dessert
Espresso-cardamom creme brulee, chocolate ganache ice cream in a chocolate cup, almond biscotti.

=== === ===

Knowiing how many OF Members have either wed recently, or are about to (Lady Who Brunches got to admit you inspired this post) I thought I'd ask for any feedback, or perhaps some (even oldies like myself) would like to share what was served at your Receptions.

2009 Jul 26
I do so find the wording of the entree amusing... So, was the veal fed roasted grain? Because that's what it sounds like.

I promise to post to this thread once all is said and done. I would hate to jinx it by saying that we're serving corn and then have my mother complain that "corn is too messy and isn't appropriate for a wedding", which for the record is precisely what she did yesterday. Corn decision is pending.

Can't wait to see what others post!

2009 Jul 26
Jason's Wedding Menu sounds absolutely delish (wish I had been there)... and about a million miles away in foodie style from what mine was, LOL.

Feels like my Wedding was about a 100 years ago (the 80s).

Back then mass produced rubber chicken dinners were the order of the day at some local banquet hall, or if one was really lucky a carved roast beef buffet. All Wedding Meals were served with bland veggies and an ice-cream scoop of mashed potatoes.

Lucky for us we went with the "church ladies" and a local caterer who listened to our requests and did a decent job with our menu.

For the time, I went totally against the norm, we went with the roast beef (only because we couldn't get anyone to do steak) but served it up as a seated service (vs buffet) with a baked potatoe and fresh veggies (believe one of our two veggies were corn kernels). And there were actual condiments on the tables... horseradish, mustard and sour cream. We started out with a champagne toast, and a garden salad (no limpy green just lettuce for us... there were actually veggies in our salad). Funny I don't recall what was for dessert.

The only issue we had was with the booze... back then wine wasn't all that popular at Weddings... a full bar was, and people drank "cocktails" (stuff like Rum & Coke or Rye & Ginger all night long). But we loved wine, and wanted a more classy feeling with a white and a red available for each table, and we wanted to pick them. Our bartender assured us that he could get whatever we ordered... in the end he got the right white wine (a German Liebfraumilch... remember this was the 80s, and sweeter wines were in) and although he found us a Valpolicella he never got the right brand. As for the champagne, back then no one knew much about french champagne (or even cared) so the bottles that showed up were good old "Presidents" from Niagara... not the best but it did the trick (and I guess worth the cheaper price... because I believe a lot of folks just took one sip and ditched the rest).

At midnight there was a sandwich & sweets buffet (very country) where all the women from the local Women's Institute (friends of my mom, if I recall correctly my mom was on the executive) had made eats probably madly for the whole week before... my "city" friends couldn't get over how great the finger sandwiches and squares were... think the whole buffet disappeared pretty quickly. LOL

Wedding Cake was a traditional 3 tier fruitcake with royal icing. Very pretty... and froze well... we were still munching on gift wrapped boxes of fruit cake years later. LOL

All this for $ 20 or $ 25 per head... which in those days was really expensive!

Funny just typing this up, makes me realize that I was a foodie (and a wino) back in the 80s, I just didn't know it.
:-)

2009 Jul 26
Lady Who Brunches - LOL, we wanted steak, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes as our main. My Mom also vetoed the corn on the cob, for the exact same reasons as yours is. We compromised and went with the kernel corn (which is probably why I described the corn as such above... I forgot about the "Great Corn Debate"... but obviously still harbour "feelings" on the subject).

In the end, no complaints, I think now that she was probably right... corn on the cob would have meant more sticky fingers (and ultimately probably butter stains on dresses... mine included). And gosh, I would have had to have provided toothpicks... LOL

Which now some 30 years later, brings up images of a whole lot of guys in suits picking their teeth... Nah, I think she was right and we made the right decision!

2009 Jul 26
F&T your post made me think of our wedding reception. Unlike you the only food I remember was the dessert, a cheesecake with a sour cream topping covered with delicious red currant jelly, our favourite dessert at the time. Ours was in a rural church basement with the dinner (even my dw doesn't remember what we ate but thinks it may have been a turkey dinner (likely with bowls of kernal corn) with all the trimmings, a UCW and, no doubt, all rural church ladies' specialty. Other than the cheesecake the only two things I remember about the dinner was having to ask my dw what was the last thing I had to do at the end of my speech (I think it was to thank her mom?) and the other was the power going out and candles being quickly put out on the tables making it all the more special.

OK the "whole lot of guys in suits picking their teeth" comment totally makes my skin crawl!

2009 Jul 26
Um, I had corn on the cob!

We had a southern style menu...

Coleslaw
Corn on the Cob
Biscuits
Mac N' Cheese
Fried Chicken
Pulled Pork

And that's it! Everyone seemed to like it, although we ordered way way too much and had lots left over.

For dessert, my mom made my hubby and I a little simpsons cake, and she also made cheesecakes for the rest of the crowd. The hubby's mom made 42 (yes 42) miniature two person pies for everyone to eat... and some other relatives made other random desserts - oh and there were chocolate covered strawberries!

That being said, guest attire at our wedding was casual, so there were really no guys in suits at all.

I love wedding menus! more more more!

2009 Jul 26
Was a guest at THE wedding yesterday, ate and danced up a storm. Cant remember seeing a wedding cake as I was to busy looking at all the celebs etc.
The meal was fabulous and I take off my hat to Mark van der Post and his crew, the service was impeccable.
Only strange note, the wedding planner looked like she had been dragged through a couple of bushes and was not even dressed for the occassion. I am sure she was paid a packet and could have looked the part. that all being said she did her job well by co ordinating the guests and staff.
I am not a fan of the Gallery as a wedding venue as they do not close the gallery and you have people wandering about trying to get to the elevators which you have to get to by walking between the guest tables.

2009 Jul 26
One never knows, maybe she was dragged through the bushes.

Curious, kiwiw what the meaning of the Simpsons cake is--is that your/your spouse's last name? Or do you just have a soft spot for the show? Or is a Simpsons cake a type of cake that I know nothing about? Pray tell.

--------

Honestly, reading these makes me all the more excited to share mine. As for the corn on the cob, I figure, it's a garden wedding, and people are not going to be in their finery. It could be worse, I could have gone with a chocolate fountain!

2009 Jul 26
Cake Lady- funny you should mention the wedding planner- I was thinking she looked a little less than polished....

My parents (who live in Manitoba) had their reception at the Chateau Laurier (1967). I'll have to ask what their menu was and the pp.

I recall having fabulous food at an Italian wedding reception in Toronto.

I've had pretty run of the mill food at most receptions in Winnipeg.

2009 Jul 26
Pan Bagnat, I'd be very curious to know the p.p at the Chateau Laurier in the 60s. A friend of ours got married there in May, and it was grand affair (even the kids meals were something special...by which I mean the best chicken fingers *ever*).

I've written a few papers on the topic of the sociology of weddings in the 60s and 70s, and I'm always intrigued to hear more about it.

2009 Jul 26
@lwb - an actual "the simpsons" cake - there was a quote about love from homer in our invitations, my hubby's socks had homer on them, and the cake was made by my mom but they bought us a homer and marge cake topper to round out one of our "mini themes"... my husband is a HUGE simpsons fan, he always wins when we play the simpsons trivia game.

2009 Jul 26
quote about love from homer: simpson or the author?

2009 Jul 26
LWB - Now you're just being difficult ;)

2009 Jul 26
about what, specifically Momomoto?

2009 Jul 26
*sigh*

2009 Jul 26
Outdoor marquee tent, twinkly lights, perfectly warm and breezy summer day four years ago. We served cheese and fruit platters between the wedding and reception with fizzy glasses of ginger ale with a frozen strawberry dropped in each. We also had a bar.

Dinner was BBQ (skewers) of chicken / strip loin with various fresh picnic-type salads, and rice. It was yummy. We served Jacob's Creek Shiraz and Chardonnay with dinner. Strawberry shortcake for dessert (with wedding cake later on).

It was perfectly dreamy.

2009 Jul 26
Where was it, Smellanie?

And, who catered?

2009 Jul 26
We were catered by Aubrey's for our wedding. Everything was family style, just the way we like it. So the food was all at the table, and people took whatever they wanted.

We had some salad to start, which was good, with two different dressings available at the table.

The entree was whole roasted striploins which were then carved and served au jus. The other entree was roasted chicken served with a honey dijon sauce.

The sides were roasted potatoes, rice! and roasted vegetables (assorted).

Cake was a lemon chiffon buttercream creation that was quite delicious. We also had homemade fruit cake.

At midnight, we brought out:
1) Chocolate fountain
2) Candy bar
3) Nana treats (thousands of treats made by my wife's nana)

All in all, great food.

2009 Jul 27
LWB: My wedding was at Stanley's Olde Maple Lane Farm (www.stanleysfarm.com/). They did everything - planning, decorations, recommended the DJ and the florist, catered, tended bar... They're Better Business Torch Award winners and I know why. My evening was flawless and seamless. Everyone had a wonderful time. I suppose the weather had a *lot* to do with it (given it was an outdoor wedding).

2009 Jul 27
If you're (read: your mother is) worried about corn-on-the-cob being too messy, why not have each cob cut into thirds after being cooked? That way you get convenient, hand-sized servings with far less mess. Stuff can't drip down your arms if you only have a tiny piece.

2009 Jul 27
If you're (read: your mother is) worried about corn-on-the-cob being too messy, why not have each cob cut into thirds after being cooked

Yup. And that's exactly what I told her.

2009 Jul 28
First off LWB "So, was the veal fed roasted grain?" ahhh ya sure.....

Spezza wedding was a great time! F&T forgot to mention that they also had a antipasto as part of there dinner as well. This was a Italian wedding, so there was no shortage of food. They finished there night with a whole roasted suckling pig, fruit platters, lots of chocolate and a a old school dutchcake!

Cake lady- Mark Van Der Pas for the record.
About the wedding planner. I agree she did look like she went through the meat grinder! She was stressed to the bone! lol

2009 Jul 28
I'd be curious to find out who their wedding planner was. It doesn't surprise me that she was stressed out, but I do commend her for keeping it together for the photos that appeared in the Citizen.

Also, Da Butcher, I don't think F&T forgot about the antipasto, so much as it wasn't mentioned in the Citizen article. Nor was the Suckling pig. I'm sure the reporters wouldn't want to portray Ottawa's golden boy as being too rich for the tastes of the plebs. ;)

2009 Jul 28
Wow, the Spezza wedding sounds like it was so cool! A whole roasted pig! I need some rich celebrity friends...

I have a roasted pig story I have to share:

My mother used to attend dinners organized by friends to commemorate the beheading of King Charles 1. The meals were always medieval inspired and she consulted a cookbook with a collection of authentic recipes (her specialty was fried parsnips in beer batter). The year she hosted the dinner was a memorable one: I wandered into our upstairs bathroom and was confronted by a pink corpse floating in the bathtub! After my initial shock I realised it was the suckling pig, thawing. Roasting that sucker was a hassle. (and yes, he got an apple in his mouth)

Anyway, my wedding meal was quite something, cuz it was in India. My in-laws organized the whole thing - I just had to show up and buy clothes (and that was plenty of work!) They sent me the menu a few months in advance - it was all in Kannada (the language of the state of Karnataka). I didn't know what any of it was and I only remember a few items - majige houli (gourd curry), wobattu (sweet pancake with shredded coconut), and masala dosa (spicy crepe). There were dozens of vegetable curries, lentils and rice (it was vegetarian) and banana leaves served as plates (this is very common in India). Bare-chested Brahmin priests prepared the food and served it; they circulated among the tables with buckets, ladling dollops of curry onto each person's banana leaf. I had a few Canadian guests there (female) and they were quite impressed with the priests' physiques (ahem!).

Looking back now it was all really cool, but I was far too stressed to enjoy any of it, nor did I have time to eat very much!

The other thing I remember about it was that there was a woman washing the dishes at the wedding hall. At the end of it, we gave her a tip of 10 rupees (about 30 cents). She was so grateful! That made me a bit sad.

Back in Canada we had a small reception in our apartment with Lebanese food catered by Boulangerie Beirut (awesome, light Lebanese cuisine) and a Marzipan bombe wedding cake from Swiss Pastries. This party I enjoyed!

On a different note, I went to a wedding this weekend that was quite elegant They served salad with goat cheese, chicken with some tasty sauce, potatoes and vegetables, and lemon sorbet with biscotti for dessert. Now, I have to ask, do you really think that's an adequate dessert? I felt quite unsatisfied with it. I think for a wedding one should have something rich and decadent. But lemon sorbet? That's what they serve at posh restaurants to cleanse the palate! There was a small wedding cake too, but I had to leave before it was served.

2009 Jul 28
About the sorbet: usually, when there is wedding cake the dessert is light and small in portion. Also, it sounds like the whole meal was fairly light and not decadent, which is fine if that's what you want, but I think that the dessert should match the main in that regard.

2009 Jul 28
Yes, the whole meal was light. So light that I had to eat something when I went home :( (and I left right after dinner).

My quibble is with the fact that even the wedding cake was very small (we were about 150 guests) and so even had I stayed for the cake I would have had just a tiny slice.

Anywayz, the bride was on Weight Watchers before the wedding (and she did look fantastic!) so maybe she was trying to send all us gluttonous guests a message. Ha ha!

2009 Jul 28
Lady Who Brunches - Wedding Planner was listed in the Ottawa Citizen as Stacey Price. I would certainly assume she was stressed with such a big event (so much to oversee) and the eyes of Ottawa (and beyond) watching. Don't know Ms. Price (or where her Biz is HQ'd) but I guess this was a huge deal for her... maybe the biggest event of her career so far. By all accounts of "The Wedding" it was stunning, so I can assume the WP did a good job.

Criticisms of Event Planners tend to rub me the wrong way... as most people will admit they could never put on a big event themselves (be that a Dinner Party, Wedding or Gala) and yet people oftentimes comment that the Planner looked "stressed"... no kidding, you are all dressed in your finery and looking at this from a relaxed guest's point of view (which is the whole atmosphere the WP is trying to achieve) all the while the WP is "working". It may look like it is easy and everything happens flawlessly (which it is supposed to) but it entails a ton of preparation, and the ability to work under immense pressure in the moment (and handle any catastrophe). Not an easy job.

Any comments on a WP's appearance cracks me up... I wonder how "photogenic" most of us would look if a press photographer snapped us at work on our most stressfilled day.

As for the menu, you were right on in your comments to Da Butcher I was strictly quoting from the Menu published in the Ottawa Citizen as I wasn't fortunate enough to snag an invite.

2009 Jul 28
The ottawa citzen was not allowed in the building so the shots of the tables etc.. and menu info they got through the windows and from people outside! lol

2009 Jul 28
We also had corn on the cob.

It went well with our Kansas City style ribs and beef brisket, seafood kabobs, jerk chicken breasts, dirty rice, creamed corn, kale, and corn bread muffins.

2009 Jul 28
Porchetta for 'Da Butcher'

2009 Jul 28
hahaha thats awsome ransom! nice pic

2009 Aug 9
I believe I was the cause/inspiration for the original post from Food and Think (it surely wasn't Mr. Spezza, was it?).

So, my husband (/tee hee/) and I wed yesterday. I promise to post a full review of the rehersal dinner, dinner, cake and morning brunch this week, with photos as they come in.

Anyway, aside from not bringing the white wine (my fault!) and someone forgetting the 12L of ice cream, it went off without much of a hitch.

2009 Aug 9
Congrats! Lady who Brunches!!

So, to answer the question earlier about my parents 60's Wedding reception at the Laurier-

I found out they actually had a champagne cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres in the Quebec room which was apparently gorgeous.

It turns out their wedding was rather unusual- they had a candle light wedding ceremony at 7pm at Dominion Chalmers church on O'Connor(or is it Metcalfe?)and then everyone went to the Laurier for the Champagne cocktail reception. My parents vacated the reception to leave on their honeymoon to Jamaica and everyone went to a catered affaire at my grandparents home on Wesmar dr off Alta Vista. My mom knows nothing other than she missed the best party according to my father's parents. Everyone drank and sang while my mother's father played the piano- he was a very accomplished pianist.

The overall concept sounds kind of nice to me as I've often wondered how I would last through my own reception if I got married. I tire of situations very quickly and on a whim decide to leave. This is rather difficult if you are the host.

2009 Aug 9
LWB - Congratulations!

Ok, I have to confess I am a weepy romantic type when it comes to L-O-V-E. Truth be told I posted a somewhat similar topic last summer (think it was about Engagements) because there were so many OF Members who were making plans to get married.

As much as I'd love all the "dish" on the culinary aspects of your Wedding... I can wait.

Ahemmm... On behalf of OF, let me say:

We thank you for checking in... but expect you now to return to your day-after cuddling.

;-)

2009 Aug 9
Congrats LWB!

We're doing our tasting menu in a couple of weeks. I hope the beef is good, as most people chose it over the chicken!

2009 Aug 10
Um. Given that there's a meet-up coming up, I may as well direct you all to some lovely photos from embean's friend, Sarah, who was our photog:

www.flickr.com/photos/bagels

Anyway. The food. I plan on doing full reviews of all restaurants, bars and other delicious places that were used this past weekend; this is just to give you a brief idea.

Bachelorette Party
We started off at Raw Sugar, where people feasted on yummy Bread and Roses pastries and drank Beau's. All around a great atmosphere, and wonderful food.

We moved on to the Fox and Feather for more bevvies after we realized that nobody shows up for 90s night at Barrymores before 11:30

Rehersal Dinner
Agave Grill on Wellington. We've known Les for a few years now and I went to summer camp with one of their staff, who was put in charge of our group of 19 or so. Everything was fairly well organized, and we had the basement party room to ourselves. Getting the bills all separated was the only thing that took much time.

Wedding Menu
I'll point out who did what, because I feel like giving credit to amazing friends and family who helped. We had a friend, Sara, who ran the Garden Spot eatery at Carleton for a number of years, do a lot of the on-site work, and we worried about prep.

::appetizers::
from the caterer
summer rolls - i heard they were fabulous, but didn't get to try any.
crudites
salsa - absolutely delicious with lots of veggies in it
from us
roasted red pepper dip
hummous - made at 11 o'clock at night on the wednesday before the wedding with heaps of garlic and lemon. was amazing. everyone raved

::mains::
from the caterer
smoked tofu skewers - very very yummy
corn with lime infused butter - also yum
veggie skewers
caesar salad - zomg. i want her recipe for this. soooooo incredible. capers, bason, anchovies and parmesean, oh my.
from us
chicken skewers with fig and ginger marinade
cucumber, berry and mint salad - a big hit, not to my taste though really.
from friends
three types of potato salad

::dessert::
from girl with the most cake
the cake - four layers; top to bottom: lemon, vanilla, chocolate, lemon. beautiful. i will post pictures and a full review shortly.
from bridgehead
coffee - awesome house blend very yummy.

::bevvies::
beer - red stripe, mill street. a second beer run was made for coronas and keith's (obviously the bride didn't go on the beer run. *sad face*)
lemonade - we had lots of people who don't drink, so for toasts we had homemade mint lemonade. it was really pretty and rustic, and too sweet for my taste in lemonade (more lemon, less ade please), but everyone else loves it.

::oops::
we forgot
12 litres of ice cream.
7 litres of white wine (i'll post details on the red soon)

all in all, it was heaps of fun. and the corn worked out just fine.

2009 Aug 18
I'm a little late to the party, but here it goes...

Our wedding was at Billings Estate. We were fortunate to have beautiful weather and managed an outdoor ceremony and reception (which was catered by Zen Kitchen).

We had champagne (presecco, really) and hors d'oeurves:

Japanese wild mushroom gyoza dumplings - in wonton spoons
Seasonal roasted vegetable skewers with tahini sauce
Homestyle mini savoury scones with caramelized onions and thyme
Slow-roasted heirloom tomatoes and tofu ricotta-pesto tarts with Provencal oil
Fresh tomato bruschetta and pesto on baguette slices
Vietnamese salad rolls with dipping sauce
Ethiopian Injerra bread wrap with spicy miser wat red lentil puree - cut in slices
Shaved roast beef with caramelized onions and horseradish cream on baguette

The last one was to appease my grandmother-in-law who is afraid of vegan food.

Our neighbour made a lovely, three-tier, chocolate cake for us.

Afterward, our family and the wedding party went to Allium for dinner. Here's the menu from that - we offered a choice of one from each category:

Appetizers:
Mushrooms on Toast (White truffle oil, local cultivated mushrooms, fresh herb salad, roasted chili coulis)
Roasted Squash Soup (Local organic squash, green onion salsa, toasted squash seeds, red pepper oil)
Grilled Beef Flat Iron (Green bean salad, marinated shallots, smoked chili aioli, red onion rings)

Entrees:
Beef Tenderloin (Fingerling potato hash, grilled red onion, tomato relish lemon jus,Grilled heirloom tomatoes)
Pepper Rellenos (Quinoa and squash stuffed poblano, carrot and jicama salsa, stewed tomatoes, cornmeal crust AND white bean and mushroom stuffed red pepper, corn relish, panko crust)
Stuffed Salmon Filet (Crab and cilantro stuffing, eggplant and red pepper napoleon, zucchini salsa, Hollandaise, crispy oyster mushrooms)

Dessert:
Chocolate Fondant (Chocolate sauce, chocolate mousse, homemade vanilla ice cream, shaved chocolate)
Crème Bruleen (Shortbread cookie, vanilla bean)
Peach Parfait (Lemon curd, peach confit, candied pecans, raspberry sorbet)

2010 Feb 19
Mers, that sounds wonderful!

Strictly from a shameless self-promotion/"do you know how hard we worked" perspective, one of my favourite wedding bloggers who goes by the name of Mouse asked me to write a guest post on catering (half of) your own wedding. It's published today, for those who are interested. It's something worth considering, for those of us who would like to buy a house sooner rather than later ;)

www.sourismariage.com

/shamelessselfpromotion

2010 Aug 25
July 3, 2010
Catered by Carleton Place Restaurant Ballygiblin's, hosted at our home.

Appetizers: Beet and blue cheese spoon, mango salsa and chips, steak on a potato waffle chip, smoked salmon something or other

Starters: 24 Carrot Soup or Summer Salad Wrap (Ontario green beans, carrots, celery, citrus balsamic dressing, wrapped in cucumber)

Mains: Chateau rib grilled and slow roasted, served with red wine demi glace or grilled rainbow trout with citrus basil butter or chicken with rhubarb barbeque sauce or creole vegetable gumbo

Dessert: Strawberry shortcake

Cake/Cupcakes: Girl with the most cake Belgian Chocolate

Favours: Koko Chocolates Raspberry and white rum

It was all very delicious (though I didn't get much of a chance to try the appetizers), and each of the vendors did a great job.

2010 Aug 25
We got married in Oct 08 at the Crown Plaza here in Ottawa - it was a sun set wedding in their penthouse with a cocktail buffet served afterwards. There was an ice tower with shrimp, baked brie and cranberries, veggie, cheese and fruit platters, a variety of little sandwiches and hot and cold canapés.

Before the wedding hubby and I had room service together in our suit. I had soup - I was so nervous it was all I could handle. He had a chicken or something like that...

Then there was our amazing wedding cake from the Ottawa Cake Lady - 3 tiers (lemon cake with citrus mousse, chocolate cake with mocha mousse and vanilla cake with lemon mousse) and truffles from Crazy 4 Chocolate as a thank you gift to all our guests.

It was a delicious night.