Farm Boy Kitchen [Food/Vendor]

2007 Feb 19
We have started shopping at the Farm Boy Location at the Blue Heron Mall on Bank Street.

This location was recently renovated and now includes the Farm Boy Kitchen. This is a whole counter of "gourmet" take home meals that are prepared and cooked by Farm Boy and just require heating up at home.

They usually have about 20 choices that include main courses, sides and starters and you can mix and match whatever you want. All are prepared fresh and are changed every two weeks. They even have a take-out menu so you can decide ahead of time what you want and then come in and pick it up. They package everything up in brown chinese food-type cartons and you are meant to just heat up the food in these cartons and then transfer to a plate.

On Saturday we went in and chose the "Chicken Breast with Brie, Sundried tomato and Rosemary", the "Mushroom Risotto Cakes" and the "Steamed Vegetable Medley". We got two breasts (generous sized), two risotto cakes (about the size of a hockey puck but twice as thick), and a small container of veggies - this all came to $19.65. So about $10 each. Same as a pizza but not as fattening :)

I was not able to finish all my chicken and neither of us finished the risotto cakes or the veggies so I am having the rest for lunch today. It was all delicious and $20 for two dinners and a lunch is not bad!

They have an amazing selection of indian food that seems to be a staple at the counter. Last week I saw enormous Spanakopita's that sadly were not there on Saturday. For this weekend we are having a hard time deciding between the indian food and the cornish hens......

According to their web site only the Blue Heron, Barrhaven and Nepean locations have the Farm Boy Kitchen. I am attaching this weeks menu for your perusal.......the menu only shows a selection of what they have.

www.farmboy.ca

Enjoy!

2007 Feb 20
I'll have to check head over there for a look. Thanks for the info.

2007 Feb 22
Ah. I went recently and drooled, but -- beware some sticker shock. A pretty small serving of channa masala ended up being over $5 (and went bad unnervingly quickly).

The rest was quite good, though. They have a nice hand with vegetables; I have no fear of badly-cooked eggplant like I do at most places.

2007 Feb 23
I think Robert Bourassa, former chef/owner of Henri Burger is (or was at least)in charge of the Farm Boy kitchen, so it should definitely be worth trying out.