Loblaws buys T&T Supermarket [General]

2009 Jul 24
www.globeinvestor.com

I can't stand Galen Weston (bring back Dave Nichol!) but this was a pretty good move.

Does anyone know the status of the pending Ottawa location on Hunt Club?

2009 Jul 24
Re: Location on Hunt Club.
There's a sign that it's going to be built, but not much else out there at this point. We drive past it a few times a month on route to the fields in Manotick (Ultimate). More I do not know.

2009 Jul 24
T&T should open november-ish. now with loblaws taking control, T&T prices will rise. i enjoy picking up exotic ingredients there when i'm in toronto and glad to have one just a walk away from my workplace.

2009 Jul 25
I heard this news yesterday and I immediately thought the same thing as Pej Daddy. The prices are going to go up once Loblaw takes over. This only means there will still be business for people in Chinatown.

2009 Jul 25
i don't think it will affect chinatown and the market as much. market and downtown shopping is hard for parking.

shopping at T&T is targeted for suburbians and late evening shoppers and the parking lot is huge supposedly for 220 cars. i hear there will be a Moxies maybe going up there as well...

time to load up more on L.TO stock... it is already up 40% since a few months ago.

2009 Jul 26
here's to more mochi@loblaws.com

2009 Jul 26
That just makes me sad....:(

2009 Jul 29
Actually, I've always found T&T pricier to begin with; I only pick up things there that I can't possibly find anywhere else (ie. their in-store buns, fresh soup "packages" etc)

2009 Jul 29
Do they also happen to have those cakes made with fruits like the cakes sold on Somerset Street? I have never been to a T&T supermarket but attended other Asian supermarkets similar to T&T.

2009 Jul 29
from the T&T stores that i go regularly in toronto, if they don't have it, you don't need it!!!!

2009 Jul 30
Hey now, that's a registered trademark of Webb's Superstore in Antigonish!

"If we don't have it, you don't need it"

:-)

2009 Aug 28
According to the news on CBC Ottawa Morning today T&T is due to open at the end of October. In attempt to keep customers in Chinatown Kowloon will be expanding in order to offer non-Asian ingredients, in addition to their regular stock, that customers used to find at the former Loeb in the area.

2009 Aug 28
T&T @ 300 Hunt Club Rd are recruiting today. this site will be gangbusters with parking for 200+ cars with new digs for PC Cyber, Moxie's Bar & Grill, Medical Dental clinics, Shoppers Drug Mart, a Spa and more to come.

most certainly there will be competition with chinatown and T&T fo sho!! i see major distinguishing factors include: vehicle accessibility, store hours and targeting volume shoppers. kowloon caters to the daytime downtown and pedestrian market; whereas T&T will pimp your ride's trunk with large volume of asiatic goodies for the majority of ottawa's population which is surburbian, after-work and late night hour.

oh btw, this intersection is currently the #1 collision prone hotspot in the city. city of ottawa, you're the best.

i do think prices will rise with galen weston buying the chain things will change: T&T until now, like a lot of chinese business "appear" to hire under the table and speak too much engrish will be making labour practices more formal; and do you ever think PC points are free? you pay for them in the price of the goods... and the slow take-over has to cater to shareholders.

competition is healthy. it puts the power in you to choose.

2009 Aug 28
Drove by the location last week (Friday) and from the looks of things they are getting closer to indeed opening (October sure sounds a whole lot better than November). Building looks finished (although I didn't get up close enough to look inside). They seem to be doing some landscaping... will have a huge parking lot.

This store has been in the works for 2 whole years... it will no doubt be an exciting addition to Ottawa (reminds me of when we got our first Costco).

EDIT - LOL, looks like Pej Daddy and I were posting at the exact same moment.

2009 Aug 28
I for one am excited about visiting T&T. CBC did a news story on it last night with shots from the Toronto store. Lots of Asian ingredients, take home dinners and a sushi bar sound appealing. However the draw back for a downtowner like me is the three buses it will take to get there. Chinatown on the other hand is 10 minutes by foot so it will still be my go to place.

2009 Oct 18
It's almost the end of October. Any updates on what's happening? I live nowhere near Hunt Club.

2009 Oct 18
Corneggs - Find the latest OF discussion at the Forum topic entitled "T&T Supermarket Opening Oct 28 2009" = www.ottawafoodies.com