Airport foodie suggestions? [General]

2009 Jul 15
Hi everybody,

I will be passing through a few airports on my way to India in August and I'd like to get your advice regarding foodie or souvenir suggestions. On my way out I'll be passing through Frankfurt airport (Terminal 1 - arrive 6:30 am, leave at noon) and on the way back I'll be going through the Paris airport (Terminal C - arrive 6:05 am, leave at 10:30).

I only have a few hours in each one so I'd like to be as strategic as possible! I know some deride airport shopping as it is overpriced, but I don't have time to go out into the city (boo hoo!) so this is the only taste of Germany/France I can get.

I know you are all a cosmopolitan bunch - any particular products or shops you recommend?

Merci!

2009 Jul 15
I was in terminal 3 at Charles De Gaulle last week if that is what you mean...it is a wasteland as far as food goes, there is a small canteen and that is it. I was thirsty so I ordered a Sprite (why not a beer? don't ask me) and it was served lukewarm in a plastic cup. Lukewarm Sprite!? I asked for ice and they didn't have any because the drink was "already cold"! The kicker...it was 3.10 Euros. A draft beer (which would have actually been cold) was 3.20! Ughhh.

Anyway, it is but a minor inconvenience in the end. Enjoy your trip!

2009 Jul 15
Look for a Turkish Imbiss in Frankfurt - not sure if they'd have one there or not in the airport.

Have one of these : www.thekitchn.com

2009 Jul 15
I agree with Tracinho, CDH was a total let down!

Hope you have a good trip though.

2009 Jul 16
BTW, if you get yourself a decent layover in Frankfurt, even if they do not have a Turkish Imbiss at the airport, you can grab the train to the main train station where they almost certain will. It's a really quick trip - 10 minutes maybe. I forget - it's been 9 years. At that time I was on my way to Cologne and had about a 4 or 5 hour layover so I went to see a buddy of mine who lives near the train station. Very convenient.

2009 Jul 16
I can second Zymurgist's comment about the Doner Kebab. OMG! I doubt you'll find an Imbiss (it's like a chip wagon here...) in the airport, but the train isn't much more than 15 minutes to the main train station, where you can find one (if that's feasible).

I love how fast the trains are. My 7 hour layover in London three years ago was enough time to go into the city and tour about for a few hours.

2009 Jul 16
"Imbiss" is not a chip wagon by my experience. It does not translate into English but roughly means "Place to get Snacks or Munchies". All the ones I ever went to in Cologne were real storefronts. Though in the train station it is likely to be a cart of wagon of that sorts. Though there are a good number of regular store fronts there too.

2009 Jul 16
Zing. You're very right, Zymurgist. The ones I went to in Koblenz/Frankfurt/Cologne/Berlin were often trucks or wagons, but not like the chip wagons here...

Can I chalk it up to getting back from Montreal at 3 this morning???

2009 Jul 16
In Amsterdam (at the airport and on the plane, in fact) I discovered the Stroopwafel. OMG. Chewy cookie goodness. My hubby liked them so much the airline attendant (is that what you call them these days?) filled his knapsack with the snack-sized version. The man we were sitting next to found this amusing and ended up *purchasing* some in a collector's tin and presenting it to my hubby as a gift "from Holland to Canada." LOL. I love random acts of gourmet kindness.

Here's more about em: en.wikipedia.org

2009 Jul 17
Stroopwafel are really really yummy.

Out of interest, I looked at the compliance rating for vendors in the Ottawa Airport. Not good.

ottawa.ca

2009 Jul 17
You can get Stoopwafel at the Dutch grocer on Merivale Rd. (in the Bleeker Mall). If you microwave them for about 15 sec they are even better.

2009 Jul 17
I just flew back through Philadelphia and brought back a philly cheesesteak for my SO. It heated up quite nicely in the oven!

2009 Jul 17
If you take a stroopwafel and leave it on top of your mug of tea/coffee for two minutes, it warms nicely and goes so well with a hot beverage. Bonus is, it will keep your drink warm in the interim.

/drool

Thanks for the tips on vendors who sell them in Ottawa. Was going to resort to an online purchase :)

2009 Jul 17
I've seen them (i.e. Stroopwafel) at the Ottawa Bagel Shop as well. I think I may have even seen them at Loblaws at some point. The Dutch place on Merivale however, is worth a visit for all the other stuff you can get there.

Airport food almost always seems to be mediocre but occasionally you come across some gems. I remember a Cuban cafeteria-style restaurant at the Miami airport that was really good. Boston has a Legal Seafood that's also pretty good. When passing through O'Hare I have usually got a corned beef sandwich from the Berghoff Cafe in Terminal 1. Also found a place at the Philadelphia Airport recently that has a good selection of local (and not so local) microbrew beer (didn't like the food however).

2009 Jul 17
I had Bojangles fried chicken & biscuit with dirty rice in Charlotte, NC. That was a definite treat! The philly cheesesteak from the philly airport was just ok, not the best I've had.

2009 Jul 17
Orlando, has an abismal food court. We were delayed a couple of winter's ago awaiting take-off (bad weather here back home) and it was a sad case of sitting around for hours with nothing to eat (cept for greasy American Fast Food). I wolfed down the food on the plane (Air Canada - the pre-made stuff, you order, pay for and eat... think it was just a sandwich and had a side of cheese & crackers with an apple... it was a blessing). Who would have ever thought?

2009 Jul 19
Whenever I travel I go to the airport website and print out the terminal map(s) so I know exactly where the various food stations are. It helps because I never know what kind of mood I am in for food. Every airport has them online.

2009 Jul 20
I discovered stroopwafels in Amsterdam airport too! I love the combination of chewy-crunchy textures. What a voluptuous mouthful of sugary-buttery goodness...mmm.

However, I must humbly disagree with F&T's derision for Orlando airport's gastronomic worth. While the food court may be mediocre, I spent a very pleasant few hours at their Chili's (Tex-Mex franchise restaurant) with my rambunctious baby. We had just had a gut-wrenching flight from Miami (my gut was wrenched - my baby was untroubled by people's shrieks everytime the plane lurched) and I needed a place to unwind. I didn't want to go to the food court as running after my baby would have further frayed my jangled nerves, so I splashed out on the restaurant. The restaurant was mostly empty, so my baby was able to run around, overturn water glasses, spill sugar packets, and create general havoc with nothing more than a few frowns from the waitress (I left a good tip). He even made friends with some other kiddies who aided and abetted his frolicking.

I will search out an imbiss. Thanks for the suggestion, Zym. The trip to the main train station sounds fun too, and may give me a few glimpses of the city (I've never been to Germany).

Thanks for the airport map suggestion, MmmJ! I found it online, along with loads of info on Frankfurt airport food and shopping. They even have a section with info on what to do with the kiddies! My son is currently into big noisy vehicles, so I think watching planes taking off will thrill him.

Okee, so my few hours in Frankfurt are covered. Now I just have to plan my itinerary while in India!

2009 Jul 20
thread bookmarked for post-recession period in my life.

and pls keep your India gloating to a minimum, Ms. Foodie. Do post some photos though (if you have a chance).

2009 Jul 21
also, Ms. Foodie: is that your photo?!

2009 Jul 21
Ms Foodie - Gosh how I would have died to have found a Chili`s no such luck for us just some crummy food court... maybe I`m missing something, are there two Terminals? Or was it because we were already past security?

2009 Jul 21
You are on your own at Frankfurt and CDG... Frankfurt airport is at least very close to downtown and there is a train station right in the terminal, so taking a quick trip in is not unreasonable. But at that hour of the morning, I think you will have limited options, and downtown Frankfurt is pretty unprepossessing. At least you can stretch your legs!

If you pass through Heathrow, there is a Chez Gerard in T3, very convenient for the Air Canada flight in the afternoon. Lunch there is a ritual...Chez Gerard is a small chain in London that serves bistro-ish food. It it not creative or anything, but they do a good job with the old standbys (love the onglet!), and the prices are not bad for airport food.

If you pass through Boston or Washington (DCA), both have a Legal Seafoods outlet, which is quite reliable. Great clam chowder, fried clams, etc. Decent value for what you get--I think I giant bowl of clam chowder brimming with heaps of sweet, tender clams in far too much cream is like 7 bucks. Nice (though limited) wine list.

Detroit has a Coney place in the main Northwest terminal--brings back memories.

2009 Jul 21
Great topic!

Can anyone recommend bars at Vegas and Colorado?

2009 Jul 22
Ms. Foodie where in India are you visiting? I have family all over. I also have visited over 5x. My sister just recently moved from Toronto to India and she and her husband travel around the country for his job.

Let me know and I can give you some tips... You can private message me instead of posting it her if you prefer.

Saurian - the only place in Vegas I had time for was a small pizza place and it was actually pretty delicious. I think it is a chain called Uno's from Boston. No time for a bar during my layover. :(

2009 Jul 22
Sweet! Thanks MmmmJ. I've been to the Uno's in Albany and really liked it. Big drinks, hot bar food.

I was perusing the Vegas airport directory and saw that they have a Jose Cuervo tequileria. I don't think I can 'not' stop there...

2009 Jul 22
Uno's may be an off-shoot of Chicago's deep-dish mecca Pizzeria Uno? Maybe?

Aside: we're not headed to India until November, so I'll ask about things closer to the time. Otherwise I'll just forget.

2009 Jul 22
You are right Momomot... It is Uno's from Chicago not Boston. Delicious! Still have never been to Chicago- heard that is the place to try deep dish pizza.

2009 Jul 23
I was in Chicago last year and it was great. Lemme go see if I can find the forum topic . . . there it is!

www.ottawafoodies.com

There's some deep-dish love near the bottom.

2009 Jul 23
UNO Chicago Bar & Grill is a US Family-style Chain Restaurant... I have to say I have only ate at them once (when there was no other choice in the area) and was pleasantly surprised.

Like Saurian we had a great experience (sat at the bar) and would definitely go back / recommend.

2009 Jul 28
Hi Itchy Feet, that was definitely NOT my photo - it was from this hilarious website: www.beans-around-the-world.com

Talk about combining the food and airports theme to a "T"!! If you have a need to procrastinate, do surf around this site - it's awesome! (and do read the story behind the can of beans).

Here's my favourite photo of the beans (my favourite cuz I've also been to Borneo and tried a blowpipe)

www.beans-around-the-world.com

But now I'm TOTALLY inspired to take a can of beans to India and photograph them around some notable sites..so far the India section "only" has Jaipur and the Taj Mahal.

www.beans-around-the-world.com

2009 Jul 28
Here's the pic, if you're too lazy to click on the link...

2009 Jul 28
Huh! Nobody's taken a picture of beans in Ottawa. This sounds like a job for . . . Ottawa Foodies!

2009 Jul 28
I take it these "Bean Photos" are rather specific... as all the photos feature the same brand of beans... Do we even have this brand in Ottawa? (might be why no one has submitted a photo).

2009 Jul 29
No need to buy those beans - you can download the label from their website! I did that, and printed it off using a colour printer. So I will be carrying my label with me to India, to pose with me in various colourful locales!