Can scape pesto be frozen? [General]

2009 Jul 10
I've never frozen it but want to make some extra garlic scape pesto as it's so good but will it freeze alright? Or should I freeze the scapes for making the pesto later? Or should we just continue to pig out nightly on the pesto? I would appreciate some advice if anyone has some.

2009 Jul 10
Someone told me the other day they froze theirs. I canned mine in the pressure canner and it worked fantastically

2009 Jul 14
Andy Garlic scape pesto can in fact be frozen. I usually buy scapes in batches to make pesto and freeze. It sure is nice eating scape pesto late into the summer after the scapes have finished for the season. Although pigging out nightly on pesto sounds like just as much fun-;)

2009 Jul 14
If you are going to freeze it, just drizzle a layer of olive oil on the top surface to seal it away, and bob's your uncle. Further, the recipe will likely preserve better (freezer or otherwise) if it has parsley in it, as the parsley will keep the other stuff fresher ( perhaps someone else could tell us why?)

2009 Jul 14
I freeze the stuff I buy from the garlic festival every year. Does anyone have a recipe to make thier own?

2009 Jul 14
Great! Perfect timing - I have to cut the last of my scapes this afternoon - looks to be another good year for garlic! Thanks for all the answers. Apparently I've been missing out on freezing pesto. I'll try the drizzle as you suggest Pete; I'm already adding the parsley.

Rock here's my "recipe":

Garlic Scape Pesto

10 to 12 garlic scapes
about 1 cup of parsley
1 to 1 1/2 cup walnuts (toasted & cooled)
1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
about 1/4 cup lemon juice
about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Remove seed heads from scapes and discard or save them for decorating. Cut scapes into pieces into a food processor. Add parsely, walnuts, salt and lemon juice. Pulse until finely chopped. With motor running slowly drizzle olive oil in, adding just enough to bring it all together with the texture you want.
Note: you can add about 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan along with the parsley, etc. if you want to.
I often add Parmesan to whatever I've put the pesto in or on, like pasta, crackers, etc. both for it's decorative effect and it's flavour.

2009 Jul 14
Pesto is pretty easy to make. When I use garlic scapes I chop them with my knife as finely as possible, I add a little EVOO enough to thicken, then purée with my immersion blender. Then I add a little more EVOO until it is thin enough for my liking.

Regular pesto is usually made with basil although I have also used Italian parsley and cilantro. I usually use a mortar and pestle when I use basil/parsley/cilantro then add EVOO and garlic.

If you like nuts pine nuts or almonds seem to be popular. Andy's recipe calls for walnuts which I haven't tried yet but it sounds yummy. I usually add them at serving time since nuts are high in oil and apparently they don't freeze well.

When I freeze my pesto I have some tiny Rubbermaid containers I use for freezing. They are small enough for one serving (I live alone so this is handy for me) but some people freeze their pesto in ice cube trays.

2009 Jul 14
Good point, pasta lover, re the nuts - nuts can go rancid even in the freezer, so nuts in my pesto means I'll have to use it up quickly, maybe before Xmas, not that that would be a hardship. Maybe I'll have to try a batch without nuts for use later in the winter/ spring. Thanks again!

2009 Jul 14
No problem! I often have herbs in the fridge for garnish but I also hate throwing things out. So if I have flat leaf herbs in the fridge that have been in there for a few days I make pesto sauce minus the nuts and I just toss the leftovers in the freezer. I usually have nuts handy too (pine nuts and walnuts are my favourites) but I keep them in glass jars in the fridge so they keep a little longer.

2009 Jul 14
Alrighty, I got 3 batches made with the last 40 or so scapes, two with nuts and 1 without, and put the 1 without and half a batch with nuts in the freezer; the rest we'll be eating by the end of the weekend I'm betting. We'll have to have some garlic-loving friends out to help and I've already invited my big seester and her bf for a feed of this (and some pasta made with chanterelles).