Wanted: inexpensive and good restaurant for tonight [General]

2007 Feb 16
I'm stumped at to where to eat dinner tonight for myself and my food bandits of 3. We have spent so much $$$ on really good dinners over the last several months that we need to back off a bit and find some new and inexpensive places.

I'm looking for something different with mains in the $10-19 range (or less if it can be had) with a little atmosphere so I feel like I'm spending more. Is this possible?

I'm tired of Thai and we are going to try Gengi tomorrow night (as a lot of you are raving about it) so we need something non-Asian for tonight. Also, non-pub like as me and my cronies don't drink beer and a good martini or bottle of vino is more our style.

Any suggestions?

2007 Feb 16
Biagio's Italian Kitchen.

Read my review..it might be just what you're looking for!

www.ottawafoodies.com

2007 Feb 16
Been there...several times. It's pretty good I agree but need something new I guess.

This is probably going to prove to be difficult since we've been to so many places. {sigh...} Keep trying though!!

2007 Feb 16
Have you ever been in Aroma?
It's nice!

2007 Feb 16
How about Savana Cafe? It's not entirely asian - it's asian/caribbean fusion. But they have a few dishes that are just carribean. They have a great chicken curry roti, the cubana chicken and the jerk chicken, or they always have an amazing fish of the day special - all are under $20. The atmosphere is funky and casual but still classy and they have great music......

They also have lots of great cocktails and caribbean type drinks. It's very busy so make a reservation. We go here whenever we can't decide where else to go. It's our staple and we have never had a bad meal here.

www.savanacafe.com

2007 Feb 16
How bout Milagro?

www.ottawafoodies.com

What's the prize for the person that suggests the best place?

2007 Feb 16
Wow Savana looks GOOD. I'm going soon.

2007 Feb 16
KSW: you are RIGHT about Savana cafe. Been there many, many times and have turned a lot of people on to it. YES on the Cubana Chicken too!!

Yes mmmfood, you must try it. It's a little quirky kinda place but good. Would like to see some new menu items though.

Have also been to Milagro once for lunch. Was considering that one as have never been there for dinner and in the mood for Mexican-type food.

Have NOT been to Aroma but having trouble with the location feature on the website. Where is this restaurant and what type of food do they serve? Looks like there are two different restaurants: one on Nepean St. and one in Gatineau. Which one are you referring to Mr. Red?

Thanks all for your suggestions and appologies for being wordy/weird....am having a stressful day and am cranky...sorry again...

2007 Feb 16
KSW: you are RIGHT about Savana cafe. Been there many, many times and have turned a lot of people on to it. YES on the Cubana Chicken too!!

Yes mmmfood, you must try it. It's a little quirky kinda place but good. Would like to see some new menu items though.

Have also been to Milagro once for lunch. Was considering that one as have never been there for dinner and in the mood for Mexican-type food.

Have NOT been to Aroma but having trouble with the location feature on the website. Where is this restaurant and what type of food do they serve? Looks like there are two different restaurants: one on Nepean St. and one in Gatineau. Which one are you referring to Mr. Red?

Thanks all for your suggestions and appologies for being wordy/weird....am having a stressful day and am cranky...sorry again...

2007 Feb 16
If you like Sangria or Margeritas, you should try Agave Grill on Wellington. They have Mexican/Southwestern food. The food is decent and well priced and I've had good service every time I've been there.

2007 Feb 16
How about Ahora tonight? It is ranked #1 vendor by all foodies here. So, it got to be good.

2007 Feb 16
I had considered Ahora as the reviews were so good but would like a little more atmosphere tonight. Will try Ahora another time when it's just a jeans and t-shirt night.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I had considered the Agave Grill as well...might be in the running as we've never been there. Do we need a reservation?

2007 Feb 16
Hi Fat Cat,

I'm sorry because I made a mistake: the correct name is A'ROMA Meze. You can read my review. It's a Greek restaurant where you can have delicius dishes to share and a good selection of wines. It's on 239 Nepean Street.

www.aromameze.com