eating in Burlington Vermont [General]

2009 Jun 28
Heading down soon and wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for a lunch spot, not a chain like Chili's or Applebees please.

2009 Jun 28
Oh man, Burlington... so much good food there and nearby.

If you want a short drive to maybe one of the best meals of your life - go to Waterbury for a dinner at Hen of the Wood @ the Grist Mill. Amazing. Another quick drive to Essex Jct. to the New England Culinary Institute at either Butlers (upscale) or the Tavern (casual/gourmet/pub). The original 3 Tomatoes on Church St is also a typical stop for us. The dumpling cart lady on Church St is always a hit for lunch or a quick snack. The Vermont Pub & Brewery for good sandwiches, burgers, finger food & brew. Ken's Pizza is a good place for a quick slice on the run. The Penny Cluse is a fun spot for breakfast, as is Henry's Diner. Leunig's is always recommended, never been though. Dining at the Inn at Shelburne Farms, or even just stopping by at their shop to buy some of their cloth bound cheddar (it is freakin' mindblowing) and to walk/drive around the property - it's beautiful, situated on Lake Champlain.

Burlington, and VT in general, is a great place if you enjoy microbrew beer.

2009 Jun 28
FoodnTravel - This is one of favourite stops enroute to Cape Cod (as well as many other spots we frequent in Vermont & NH).... check out American Flatbread (115 St Paul Street) and the Vermont Pub & Brewery (144 College Street). The latter serves an especially impressive "Ploughman's Lunch". And "The Man" has enjoyed their beers.

Your trek from Ottawa to Burlington will run you at least 4 Hours... more if you run into Traffic or Construction around Montreal (or a big line up at the Border). Last trip we went via Montreal, we lost over 1 Hour in the Montreal area due to delays (Traffic & Construction). We particularly like going cross country via NY State... crossing in the past at Cornwall (guess this summer we'll be using Ogdensburg). This route is really scenic, and we make a point of scooting thru the Champlain Islands or crossing at the Grand Isle Ferry... normally this runs about 4-1/2 hours and sees us having a nice lunch in Burlington.

2009 Jun 29
Thanks for this thread. I was down on the ny state side of thousand islands park this weekend and began wondering where else I could go across the border for tasty food and microbrewed beers. Burlington sounds like a good overnighter. Does anyone have any suggestions for nearby ny state?

2009 Jun 29
Downtown Diner - I will certainly think of a few others... but the first thought into my head is world famous Dinosaur-Bar-B-Que - www.dinosaurbarbque.com in Syracuse which is a do-able day-trip from Ottawa.

:-)...

(see that BBQ sauce dripping off my chin... this stuff is fingerlickin good BBQ)

2009 Jun 29
Mmmm. That's a great suggestion. Thanks!

2009 Jun 29
We were just down to Syracuse and enjoyed a great meal at the Dinosaur BBQ. Absolutely a must do in Syracuse. We also had a great meal at Pastabilities. (It is just around the corner almost, from Dinosaur) It has been around for years. The first time we went was about 18 or so years ago. They have expanded but are very busy and offer great food, pasta is of course their specialty. Open kitchen very happening spot.

BTW- Thanks for all the great suggestions for Burlington!

2009 Jun 29
Another suggestion for BBQ on the road, there's a BBQ restaurant in Burlington called Big Fatty's, which I recommend: www.maplestreetcatering.com they focus a lot on real down south style BBQ & sides (fried okra, hushpuppies, etc).