Good quality take home food? [Food/Vendor]

2009 Jun 12
Hi folks,

I am looking for a grocery store (not blah blahs) that sells good quality take home food. I've recently returned to work after my maternity leave ended, and am struggling to prepare decent dinners at night. My husband goes off to play sports most evenings during the week, leaving me to to cook dinner, wash dishes, and care for my baby after a long day of work - not fun! I've tried many of the frozen entrees (chicken pot pie, salmon wellington) at Loblaws (blah blahs) and find them expensive, unhealthy and unsatisfying. I have also tried their no-name ravioli and perogies and found them yucky.

I'm sick of take out and delivery so thought I'd try some better quality grocery stores that sell take home food. Any suggestions? I live in the West end and I work downtown, so stores in that area would be best...

Thank you!

2009 Jun 12
Um, you need to have a few words with that husband, if I dare say. Here are a few that I would suggest starting with "listen buddy, this is not 1959 ..."

Parma Ravioli has really great take-home meals (of the pasta and pizza variety). The frozen ones are half-priced, if you can find them (they go quickly)

2009 Jun 12
Well, Farmboy is pretty good but i find it can end up being pretty expensive. I sometimes buy a meat entree (like chicken schnitzel), and cook rice or pasta (I know it is work but boil water and add pasta/rice ), and a purchased salad. a little more work but its more in the waiting then the prep. Try buying some vegetables you can steam instantly. You and your loved ones will feel so much better--top vegs up with lemon or butter.
P.S. How about you get a simple dinner ready, eat, bathe baby and yourself and he can do those dishes when he gets back from his activities--and if he gets back in time you can all do bath/bed duties. It really is so much more enjoyable for all if duties can be shared. It is hard to manage all this and eat well.
Try prepared salads and vegetables--do not scrimp on these. Stay away from the frozen stuff. There is still nothing wrong with a tuna melt or a grilled cheese and a salad. Other prepared foods are often high in sodium and you will probably feel better if you eat simply. Indulge and buy some prepared raw veg's.
I wish you all the best in your new lifestyle.

2009 Jun 12
Farm Boy's take out counter is always amazing, I definitely highly recommend it, but you live in the West End so I feel like you would have tried it already.

Do you have to cook dinner for yourself and your husband, or just yourself? My current favourite dinner is either oven-roasted veggies and a mini baguette, or a huge spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, and goat cheese. These things take like two seconds to prepare, not even as long as throwing frozen lasagna in the oven. I find that they're not really a "man's" dinner but definitely good enough for me!

Sidenote, my family also calls Loblaws "blahblahs" - I didn't know it was so common until I joined OttawaFoodies!

Hmm another thing you could do is cook up a storm on Sundays or whatever weekend day works - I'm thinking lasagnas, soups, casseroles, raviolis etc - stuff that refrigerates or freezes well for easy reheating through the week.

Hope things get easier for you soon - I know almost every woman does it these days but I can't imagine how difficult it must be to go to work all day and then come home to the baby & messy house.

Edit: also seconding what WC says - grilled cheese, tomato soup & a nice simple green salad is an awesome dinner! You can even make it a little fancier by using gruyere or smoked mozz or something instead of cheddar :)

2009 Jun 12
Farm Boy is king for that sort of thing, although it would be a bit out of your way. Parma Ravioli (Parma Ravioli) is also a popular choice for almost-ready-to-eat meals but of course with less variety than Farm Boy.

You could scope out Metro/Loeb -- I can't vouch for the quality but they seem to have quite a bit of ready to go food. Also, the Superstore in Westboro has a lot to offer. Costco is not a terrible choice for better-quality frozen meals (I find the personal-sized Piazza Tomasso lasagna to be strangely satisfying).

Also, for quick weekday meals, a rice cooker can be a nice help. You start the rice and then you have 20 minutes to make a simple stirfry or some other saucy veggy meaty thing. Here's one of our favourites:
* Jasmine rice in the rice cooker
* Frozen peas steamed on the stove or in the microwave (or I guess you could chuck them in with the rice)
* Heat oil in a pan or wok, add a little fresh ginger and a kaffir lime leaf
* Add chilis and/or Thai curry paste
* Season to taste (bouillon cube or paste, wine, fish sauce, white pepper, sugar, whatever excites you)
* Add a can of coconut milk and simmer until the rice is almost ready
* Cube up a 400g'ish package of frozen fish (pollock works well and is healthy and cheap). A cleaver does a fine job.
* Add the fish to the cooking mixture and simmer a few minutes until the fish is thawed and lightly cooked
* Stir in the juice of half a lime if you have it
* Top with minced scallions

It's quicker than it sounds and very tasty! I had the leftovers for lunch today.

2009 Jun 12
Yum, I will try this next week! It sounds way better than Costco.

2009 Jun 13
A couple of other ones that I can think of:

Costco has a cooler section by the meats with pre made salads, pastas and I few other entrees. They also sell pre- marinated meats and some ready to cook fish and meat items.

Their roast chickens are a good deal- $6.99.

Nicastro's on Merivale have some made up dishes and think they change their menu around.

Thyme and Again has stuff to go but I think you'll end up paying a pretty penny.

There are also those meal making places where you can put together a few meals at a time- I think there is one in Barrhaven. There was one in Merivale Mall that is now closed.

2009 Jun 13
Try the red apron. www.redapron.ca

We met them at the Landsdowne market. Seems like a great idea!

2009 Jun 13
Is it gauche to suggest fellow Ottawa Foodie Oliversrock?

mychefathome.ca/?page=home

Oh, of course it isn't! I do it, so that she won't have to ;)

2009 Jun 13
Ms Foodie - Gosh how I remember the days with young babies... my heart goes out to you... it really is a tough time... lack of sleep, trying to keep it all together at home and the office, and no time to eat.

I agree with the others, I think those new places where someone else does the cooking is the ticket for you in this situation... They seem to offer healthy choices (a lot more than take-out or even pick-up at Loblaws). You should look at getting say a week or two worth of meals to start (pulling them out of the freezer as you need them)... with only the two of you it shouldn't be that expensive per serving. You'll be able to add a soup, salad or dessert on your own, but the major headache of "what's for dinner" will be gone.

And I agree with Momomoto there is our own resident Chef OliversRock - OliversRock I am sure she'd be willing to work with you.

Good Luck... and let us know how it turns out.

2009 Jun 13
Thanks guys, these are very helpful suggestions!

So today I went grocery shopping; I bypassed Loblaws completely and went to Nicastro's on Merivale and then the Produce Depot on Carling. I meant to go to Farm Boy but my baby protested and demanded to be taken home after Nicastro's...(I went to Produce Depot on a separate trip, sans baby!)

Oddly enough, Pam, I don't ever shop at Farm Boy. I will start to now, however! At Nicastro's I got 3 kinds of frozen filled pasta and a fresh eggplant parmigiana. I will be eating pasta all week, but that's ok! I think I also have to change my expectations of dinner, as W.C. says. I would usually turn up my nose at a sandwich for dinner, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I think a tuna sandwich and soup would be a great idea.

And I am working on my husband! Ahem! It is a transition time for all of us...

I will explore some of the other suggestions too.

Muchas gracias!

2009 Jun 13
More weekday meal tips...

The fast-homecooked-dinner of champions: Pasta with a Fried Egg on top!

Make a pot of simple vegetable soup on Sunday and it can provide the vegetable dish for many meals during the week. We do a simple Portuguese style Sopa de Legumes as follows:

* A white or spanish onion
* A potato or two to thicken (we sometimes use lentils instead)
* A large carrot or two
* A very nutritious vegetable (spinach, kale, broccoli, squash, etc) - one big head or bunch does the trick
* A couple bay leaves
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Water (start with enough to cover, but you can always add more)

Chop veggies and boil everything for half an hour or until everything is soft (we pressure cook it for a short time). Add a good glorp of flavourful olive oil. Purée with a hand blender, then add anything you want to make it more interesting (peas, chopped green beans, broccoli florets, etc). Continue to cook until done the way you like it.

2009 Jun 14
FF - add crispy lardons, a stalk or finely diced celery, some rosemary, some white beans &/or garbanzo beans and some tomatoes, and a spare parmesan rind (save those in the freezer), reduce and you've got a good base sauce for pasta e fagioli. Yum.

2009 Jun 15
Another time saver is the slow cooker. I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on slow cooker cooking. It is a great way to have dinner ready when you walk in the door. Does require some prep in the start of the day though.

2009 Jun 15
Ms. Foodie the subject of ready made meals came up around this time last year: ottawafoodies.com/forum/1235

If you have a little time over the weekend slow cookers are fabulous. I also have a rice steamer similar to the one in this picture: www.t-fal.ca

I like my rice steamer because it has three compartments so you can cook several items at a time.

2009 Jun 15
These are all great ideas as we too have a crazy after school/work then soccer schedule. I would love to see more slow cooker suggestions as for some reason haven't found anything really great for the whole family. Our kids do not like anything with a gravy, sauce or liquid so it eliminates a ton of dishes that are stews/soups. They do however both like gorgonzola cheese in sauce (the only one that both will eat) - go figure!

2009 Jun 16
Surprisingly... roast chicken in a slow cooker (I usually do a herbes de Provence one) is quite good! It's quite simple... put the chicken in... rub it with butter, inside and out ... sprinkle herbes de Provence inside and outside... put it in... cook! It's delicious and not sacy.

2009 Jun 16
Gardener Mom Apparently you can also cook ham in the slow cooker the same way you can cook chicken the way snoopy loopy describes. Just place the ham in the slow cooker and cook on low all day.

2009 Jun 16
There are other things as well... I cook ribs in the slow cooker as well.

2009 Jun 16
I would also seek out Rachel Ray for some help. She has great meals with 5 things or less, many of which can be made freezer size on weekends. Fine-dining she is not, but it's quick and easy.

2009 Jun 16
Ack, Rachel Ray, queen of chop'n'drop, st-oup, EVOO, self proclaimed queen of the burger... for (disturbing and potentially NSFW) photos: www.dmbosstone.com

Sorry, I think I just tasted lunch for the second time today. I really hate Rachel Ray. Again, I apologize for anyone I just scarred with the above FHM photos of Rachel Ray.

2009 Jun 16
Chicken and ham - great tips! That is always a hit. Thanks

2009 Jun 17
Chimi: If you dislike Rachel Ray, be prepared to cry at the following article under the title "Top 10 Earning Chefs" (sic)

www.canada.com

2009 Jun 17
In terms of good perogies, you can find them over here
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1416

and you can also find some good frozen perogies in various european deli's (inc. the Warsaw Polish Deli in the west). I believe the name is Supreme Perogies.

You can also get various other dumplings easily enough, including at the Dumpling House on Summerset by Bronson.

Sorry, I am a massive fan of dumplings. :P

*edited*

2009 Jun 18
Alrright, I have two pierogie places in my end of town!!

I do love pierogies, but rarely make the trek out to specialty shops to get them. Instead, they are an occasional impulse buy from Loblaws, with predictably dismal results.

Methinks I see a carlingavefoodie blog post in the making!

My mother is a huge fan of the borscht and cabbage rolls at the Ukrainian church bazaar, so she will be thrilled if I bring her some of those items too.

Okay, here's another question - I love fried onions with my pierogies, but they take soo long to make. Any shortcut tips? (but don't suggest buying those readymade crispy fried onions - those look gross)

2009 Jun 18
I believe that both those shops have said items, so you would be in a good place. I don't find fried onions take that long, start sauteeing them in oil when you start up with the perogies and you should be just fine.

2009 Jun 23
That Rachel Ray thing was not good--but at least I didn't have to hear her voice (evoo anyone...arggh).

2009 Jun 24
WC - my most sincere apologies.

2009 Jun 26
Yep, fried onions don't take long. Caramelized onions on the other hand... Let's just say my patience and hunger rarely let me get past fried.

2009 Jun 28
Thanks for the plug Momo! I just switched up my menu to a more summery one.
www.MyChefAtHome.ca

As for quick(er) fried onions. I use a non traditional steam-frying method.

I heat my nonstick frying pan (nonstick because I like to brown my perogies after boiling) on medium high heat. Add veggie oil, olive oil or butter. Allow to melt or heat. Add sliced onions, stir to coat in oil and cover quickly with a tight fitting lid. I like to use the clear lid from my chicken roaster.

Listen to those baby's sizzle. Really listen. When you hear the onions start to dry on the bottom of the pan lift the lid and let the collect steam drip down into the pan. Stir with a silicon spatula to deglaze the pan, transferring the whiter less cooked onions to the bottom of the pan. Cover again and repeat until onions have reached desired doneness. Salt and pepper to taste at this point.

Troubleshooting:
If the onions are steaming rather than frying either turn up the heat or take off the lid for a while. Stir less often.
If they are frying too quickly turn the heat down a bit and add a little salt to the onions to pull out the moisture. Stir more often.
Nice white salad onions have too much moisture and red onion looks gross. Vidalias need less time covered and more time frying.
Generally I just use ordinary yellow cooking onions although occasionally I'll get a big Spanish onion.

Knife work note:
NEVER cut frying onions in Half-moons like for burgers. The texture goes all wrong. Something happens with the way they release moisture and they go mushy and stringy. Cut as for french onion soup, a large 1/2 - 1 inch dice, or wedges.

2009 Jun 28
Hi:

I don't know how much money you have at your disposal, but the Old Ottawa South (OOS) neighbourhood has The Red Apron, where you can pick up excellent stuff for dinner. And Life of Pie, which is also in OOS, does a mean weekday pot pie (as well as others). I'm not really plugging them, I just live here. You might want to check out your work and live and/or traverse neighbourhoods for the like.

I feel your pain, (so we just have a Labrador retriever)!

Cheers, Glinda

2009 Jun 30
Caramelizing onions creates a wonderful savory fragrance and they are just so much tastier than quick fried.

If you use olive oil add a teaspoon of butter.

Allow the sliced onions to cook slowly over a moderate heat while stirring occasionally.

Add 1/2 tsp. of granulated sugar to help bring out the sweetness and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Allow the onions to carmelize without turning up the heat to high.
You may be tempted to hurry them along but don't be impatient.

Before you know it you will have a delicious addition to hamburgers, steaks, cold cut sandwiches and sausages.

When the onions are caramelized allow them to cool.
Put them in a tightly enclosed container or Ziploc bag and they will keep in your refrigerator for 3 days.