User Names & Avatars [General]

2009 Jun 9
Something that came up this week in other topics, is how we are associated with our User Names and those cute little Avatars. We've covered the Question here before, how did you choose your Avatar... but this time round I'm looking for the opposite feedback...

Do you associate other Users strongly by their Avatar (or User Name).

For example, try as I might I miss Chimichimi's "dead chickens" (or was it dead ducks).

And things haven't been the same since Monty traded in his "full monty" avatar for something more sedate.

And Pasta Lover recently gave up the "Swedish Chef" for a plate of pasta... but I still think of all the fun we had with the Swedish Chef clips on U-Tube when she chose him as her icon.

Any thoughts?

2009 Jun 9
F&T - for the record, they're actually dead ducks & a HUGE BBQ squid, definitely not available in our Chinatown...

2009 Jun 9
Chimichimi - Your "dead ducks" (lol, there is more than one humourous way to look at that... in light of so many posts here) were eye-catchers for sure... and a sure-fire-way to know when you had made a comment (not so much with the bread... I mean you've already been confused with Sourdough on one occasion).

Missing the ducks!

2009 Jun 9
It's funny you should mention this now. In that last thread regarding OF anonymity, one of the first thoughts that came to mind was, "Hey! I know what Monty looks like! There he is beside Ron Jeremy!"

Made me feel like a grizzled old veteran.

2009 Jun 9
Momomoto - Ya I know what you mean.

As for your icon... pleeeeease don't lose the "puppet guy" he is sooo part your on-line identity... very industrious looking (knowledgeable), but at the same time kind of cute. LOL

2009 Jun 9
F+T, your champagne glasses make you instantly recognisable!

Along with many others I was very sad when Monty retired the "size matters" icon.

LWB and her bouncing orange ball :)

Mark (eep! I mean Fresh Foodie!) and his ever-changing "om nom nom" photos.

zymurgist and his itty-bitty beer.

That's all of them off the top of my head - am interested to see what others think!

2009 Jun 9
Ok, new profile pic so people won't confuse it with Sourdough's.

Edit: I just realized I never added Pam as a favourite foodie of mine! Oops! +1

2009 Jun 9
Definitely F&T champagne glass, and Momomoto's puppet dude come to mind. And really, Fresh Foodie's old avatar. Mousseline I associate with that very pretty, Victorian drawing.

There's also one user who I added as a favourite because of her avatar, Emmazing (ottawafoodies.com/u/1671), who has the prettiest picture of tier platters of cookies.

Also, for the record, my avatar is my favourite cartoon character, Lola (en.wikipedia.org). She has a very adverturous heart and likes pink (strawberry) milk; she reminds me a lot of me when I was younger...

2009 Jun 10
Food&Think Not to fear the Swedish Chef is merely "retired". I still have him squirreled away possibly to make a come back sometime in the future.

I have a few pics saved which I may potentially use on my profile and they are all pasta related since that is my favourite food group-;) (And also because I prefer to participate in this forum incognito.) I found the present one in google images and it is a pasta dish from Mario Batalli's Babbo. As soon as I win the lottery I plan on eating there.

2009 Jun 10
Pam - Agree totally, your's is a standout too... if I recall it is you digging into a great pasta dish on a local patio (but what makes it a great photo is your expression... you just look so like you are saying "I've been waiting all day for this")

Of course Lady Who Brunches bouncing orange ball is a classic now... it just to me signifies her enthusiasm... a characteristic I find in her OF personality.

Fresh Foodie - Of course keeps us on our toes... something new (and interesting) every once in awhile (changing it up, does seem to work for him).

Other ones that are great (that come to mind at this moment... having looked at the Home Page Recent Users)

Tracinho big old cut of red meat

And no list could be complete without FOODisHOT! - Great Avatar

2009 Jun 10
It's Biagio's, isn't, Pam (I still like your Atelier photo...)

Note to self: Never, ever change avatar. Unless I have a sudden aversion to pink milk, and food.

2009 Jun 11
Yes, Biagio's! I miss that place. Many happy memories there :) Kind of inconvenient to get to now that I live downtown, although I guess I can't really complain about the restaurant selection downtown vs restaurant selection in that area of town ;)

I do need a new photo...that one is pretty old. Not sure if the Atelier photo is "the one" though...

2009 Jun 11
I got rid of my old martini one a while back, replacing it with my son playing around in his toy kitchen, which he still loves 18 months later, an amazing lifespan for a toy to an almost 3 year old.

2009 Jun 12
I too am a creature of habit, associate with the old but at the same time appreciate change. Can't change mine until I figure out how to upload all those pics. I've said it before but I am hopelessly backward when it comes to technology. Not only have I kept all my recipes/cookbooks, I still have a typewriter!