Tasty Ottawa noms [General]

2009 Jun 3
Hi everyone!

So, Rich and I will very likely be heading back to Ottawa for a visit in July (most likely the last weekend, but we'll see when we talk to my mother-in-law tomorrow, since we're going up mostly to visit her).

I've been following along here over the past year since I left, so I have read all your reviews and stuff. But, so much has changed on the Ottawa food scene in the last year that I thought I'd just ask you all: where are some of your favourites? We could just return to old haunts, but I'd like to try a new place or two. :)

We've only got a few requirements:

- Relatively inexpensive (so as much as I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to try Atelier, we likely won't)
- Vegetarian Friendly
- Tasty food ;)

2009 Jun 3
re:vegetarian

i ate at the new a'roma meze on wellington and there was a lot of vegetarian options. the prices seemed ok to me and you can govern how much you spend depending on what you choose. they weren't officially open yet, so i didn't see the wine or beer list.

i also ate at le kim chi on preston recently and they had a number of vegetarian options. mid-range price.

and also new on preston is the green earth vegetarian restaurant. mixed reviews, but i've found some things i really like. i would suggest that more as a lunch stop, not a good dinner out. cheap.

2009 Jun 3
By the time you get back, the Grand will have worked out many of its kinks. I would also recommend making a point of visiting Pascale's in Westboro (attached to the Piggy Market) for some ice cream. It's pricey for ice cream, but it's really, really, really figging good.

Raw Sugar is also worth a visit, as is Morning Owl Coffeehouse (I prefer the former to the latter, personally.) Was the Candy Store in Westboro here when you were? If not, go in and pick up some Galler bars, if you even remotely like chocolate.

Yep. Those are my favourite, newer vendors in Ottawa. And that's speaking from a student's budget, so there.

Also always a good plan would be Play. But I can't speak to it, because I'm a poor student type...

2009 Jun 3
Candice, don't know what average meals will cost, but perhaps you might add ZenKitchen to your list of possibilities. They'll have opened in their new digs by the time you visit:

ottawafoodies.com

2009 Jun 3
Green Earth, definitely Le Kim Chi (went here on Friday)...and there'd better be a coffee date with Pam somewhere in there! :D

Morning Owl on Rochester has amazing roasted veggie sandwiches at lunch!

2009 Jun 3
Candice - Don't know when you were last in Ottawa, but if you haven't been to The Moonroom - The Moonroom, I would say it is worth a visit (part of the changing scene of Preston Street). You can go overboard here in the terms of cost, or just drop in for a glass of wine / pint of beer and a quick bite.

2009 Jun 3
thanks everyone so far!

hipfunkyfun: We loved the original a'roma meze so the new one would probably be a good bet, thanks!

LWB: Mmm, ice cream. Unfortunately Rich can't do ice cream but I can! more for me! ;)

itchy: Zen Kitchen looks fantastic. I've been reading about it on the Omnivore's Ottawa blog with lots of interest. :)

Pam: There will be a coffee date with Pam for sure! ;) And Green Earth and Morning Owl both sound yummy.

F&T: We loved Trio when we lived in Ottawa, we used to go there all the time and I'm sure Tracey would recognize us, or at least she might if she has a decent memory, haha. So visiting the Moonroom would be great. :)

2009 Jun 3
morning owl is great (coffee and cupcakes!) it is only open monday - friday from morning to afternoon. like lwb, i like (love) raw sugar. there is no other coffee house like it in ottawa - that i know of. they also serve beer & wine and great desserts, so a nice spot to stop in any time of the day.

2009 Jun 3
Completely OT, but I have to admit that I misread the topic as "Tasty Ottawa moms"... I know, mind in gutter.

Anyway, the more people talk about Raw Sugar, the more I want to go. It sounds a lot like Cafe Wim, if anyone remembers the place from it's glory days in the Market? Also, what's the deal with the hours at Morning Owl?! Why no weekend hours?! I feel slightly burned, as I went by there on the weekend recently only to be left disappointed.

2009 Jun 3
Haha... well Chimi, if you know any tasty Ottawa moms to recommend.... ;)

2009 Jun 4
i remember cafe wim, many afternoons spent playing games and drinking beer and coffee there. raw sugar is similar, but much brighter and more cheerful inside. plus they have great themes days/nights. i went to a sock monkey workshop that was hilarious, and have been to see my friends band play there.

morning owl is catering to the workers around preston, i wish they would open on the weekends, but don't know if they would get enough business or not? maybe we can petition them to at least open in the summer?