Dessert in Ottawa [General]

2009 Jun 1
Are there any places in Ottawa that are mainly dessert places? In Toronto and Montreal, there are some great places you can go to after dinner and until quite late which serve delicious deserts. I have yet to find one such a place in Ottawa. I was particularly surprised to see that I couldn't find any in Westboro where I live. I know of Oh So Good, but have decided not to go there because their desserts are not made in house. I wouldn't even mind driving somewhere if it was worth it... fellow Ottawa foodies... help!!!!

2009 Jun 1
I was looking for a dessert place recently and a few people came up with the following suggestions: ottawafoodies.com/forum/917

Not all the places necessary bake their desserts in house but it might make a good starting point.

2009 Jun 1
Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana on Preston is pretty good: www.pasticceria.ca/

Simply Biscotti, also on Preston, is also excellent.

Pure Gelato on Elgin for Gelato...

Truffle Treasures in Westboro & The Glebe

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, will post again if I can remember more.

2009 Jun 1
Yeah, that's a huge turn off for me about Oh So Good. Easily my biggest pet peeve. I *think* there's a tag for dessert or sweets, and then you can select a second tag by region. I would also check out that forum though...

2009 Jun 1
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Thanks Pam! I've been to Pasticceria, but I find that they used to be be better... unfortunately... Pure so far is our place to go when we're out of ideas.. Do you know the hours for Simply Biscotti and Truffle Treasures? I've yet to see cake and desserty thingies at Truffle Treasures... but I could be looking for love in the wrong places!

update... looked at the link, and didn't find anything... apparently I've carried your search for desserts which started in 2008 over to 2009... Ottawa needs a dessert place!

2009 Jun 1
not strictly dessert places, but...

wellington gastropub has fantastic home made ice cream from pascale. the ice cream is also available at the piggy market and the landsdowne farmer's market.

pascalesicecream.com/

a'roma meze, which is just about to open by gastropub has greek styled desserts that are made inhouse.

2009 Jun 1
I was wondering when they were opening. I often walk by there... I'll have to check them out. Do you know if Pascale still supplies Gastropub? I heard she left there to start Piggy Market with Dave.

2009 Jun 1
On their website, they only list Thyme and Again as a vendor of their ice cream.

Having said that, it should be mentioned that she's only open until 6:30

2009 Jun 1
i haven't been to gastropub in a while, but i *think* she still supplies there. friends went recently just for the ice cream and a drink i didn't hear otherwise from them.

there is also swiss pastries beside bushtukah. not sure how late they are open.

2009 Jun 1
you are right lwb. gastropub still offers homemade ice cream, but maybe they do it inhouse now?

2009 Jun 1
Swiss Pastries is open until 7 (weeknights). The one in Carlingwood has the same hours as the mall itself, as does Billings Bridge.

2009 Jun 1
Swiss Pastries is good if you go around lunch time. By the time dinner hits, they are totally out... I've never gone by there at night so I'm not sure if they are open. I am somewhat disappointed though, that when they are short on pastries and cake slices that they won't slice one of the cakes they have. I've gone in a couple of times when there are 5 pastries left and over 10 cakes, but insisted I buy the whole cake.... =(

2009 Jun 1
Depends upon the location. I find--IMO--that the service at Carlingwood is better, though the selection smaller.

I think I mentioned this in my review of them, but the Westboro location won't give you the time of day and sees it as a huge inconvenience that you're there. Consequently, we go less and less :(

2009 Jun 1
Sorry, forgot to put that I have only gone to the Westboro location. Parents who came to visit us were less than impressed.

2009 Jun 1
I'm a big fan of the Pure nutella crepes... delicious.

Otherwise, I like the Gastropub & Murray St for their desserts.