Sugar Pie - Freezing? [Cooking]

2009 May 27
Good day foodies!

I have a recipe for a sugar pie that i've made quite a few times and really like.. and the pie never lasts very long, but i was wondering, can you FREEZE a sugar pie? If yes, how and would you just warm it up when you take it out?

Thanks in advance :)

2009 May 27
You mean your sugar pie could make it to the freezer?-;) The crust would definitely freeze. You could always make the crust in advance then add the filling at serving time...

2009 May 27
see the crust is no problem, but it's the filling that i'm wondering about. When i cook the pie, it's a liquid filling that you cook for (i think it's like 45 minutes, i don't have the recipe right at the moment), and then when you take it out of the oven, it's a bit "set", and while cooling it "sets" correctly.

Now i'm imagining that it'd be tough to freeze it and then thaw and still maintain a good pie. :)

2009 May 27
If I am right that sugar pie is like a pecan pie or butter tart I'd say yes. If in doubt try freezing a slice and check. Or make up tarts. I've had butter tarts from the freezer before and they were structurally intact.

2009 May 27
Presidents Choice , years ago had a pecan pie that you cooked from frozen--it looked like it was cooked then frozen and you reheated it directly from frozen. It was pretty good. But if your sugar pie doesn't have nuts the texture might be different. Why don't you make a small tart the next time you make your pie, freeze it and then reheat. I'm thinking if you froze it one of those small aluminum tart pans it might reheat /cook better than a slice.

2009 May 28
What is the recipe? If you share the recipe, then we can possibly develop a method of freezing it thru tasting and error!!! ha ha

2009 May 28
here it is :)) I had gotten that recipe in a class that was given by another poster on here (Bruce) a few years ago.. i liked that recipe. :)

1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp soft butter
1 egg
385ml evaporated milk (not 2%).. no low fat or no name.. i get carnation
one blind baked pie shell

pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
in a bowl mix together the sugar, butter, vanilla and flour
stir in the egg and then the carnation milk
pour into the tart shell and place in the oven on a tray
bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until just firm