what to eat when one has fallen ill... [General]

2009 May 15
So, I know we discussed what to eat when you a cold or the sniffles, but what do you venture into when you have a stomach bug? I had a stomach bug for the past three days (feeling better now and consuming all the veggies I can) and while I used to consume litres of white rice, this bout has left me gagging at the texture.

Strangely, mango gelato was possibly my most favourite thing to eat in the last week, with various plain crackers and cookies as a close second. And never have I ever consumed so much regular soda (notably ginger ale, but nonetheless). Possibly the strangest craving was a Harvey's veggie burger and fries (which didn't stay down, but seemed like a good plan at the time).

What do you eat when you've got a stomach bug that you may not otherwise?

2009 May 15
lady who brunches Sorry to hear about your stomach bug. I am very lucky I haven't had the flu in a decade but the last time I got it I was sick for three days and I couldn't even keep water down so I can imagine how you feel.

On that note what works for me is plain yogurt - any brand will do - just plain old yogurt. Apparently it contains bacteria which is good for your stomach and it may settle your tummy down abit. If you would like rice but can't handle the texture right now there is always rice milk... (I actually enjoy the flavour but I will eat rice in ANY form-;) There is always puréed fruits like applesauce, mashed bananas, etc. Hope you feel better really soon.

2009 May 15
good god how badly I wish I could one link click this

hot liquids = thinning of mucous by expediting its exit (got that from my friend in 3rd year med school if you need a 'source')

but since I'm also unrepentant

www.webmd.com

*edit* I forgot the stomach flu part

you aren't supposed to eat just sip on soups and if that's not enough something base; apple sauce, dry rye toast or a banana

2009 May 15

I just got over a stomach bug too. It was brutal, I couldn't eat for 4 days. However, I forced myself to eat oatmeal in the morning and toast at night. Dairy was the LAST thing I wanted, I had some cereal one day and it was a big mistake due to the milk. BIG MISTAKE.

Like others have suggested, it's called the BRAT diet
Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

My momma made the most delicious smelling roast while I was sick and I wanted to eat it so badly, but couldn't. And now it's gone... :(

2009 May 15
For myself and my family, we always eat rice porridge (or rice congee). We feel better with warm/hot food.

I discussed rice congee a while ago. See the discussion thread at:
www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 May 15
Blue Gatorade and Blue Freezies. At least if you can't keep it down it's a fascinating trip to the loo.

2009 May 15
And that, OliversRock, is exactly how I felt yesterday about the mango gelato...turns out I was right.

On a (somewhat) related note, my fiance loves to tell the tale of the time her ate a dozen green St. Patty's Day cupcakes and then was frightened the next time her went to the washroom.

Ashley, I'll have to keep rice milk in mind for the future. I'm feeling a bit better today, but my appetite still isn't what it usually is, which in the grand scheme is probably healthy for my wedding dress fitting (ha).

2009 May 15
Chicken broth--just like your grandmother made! If you use real broth it is loaded with healthy minerals (especially if you crack the bones befor making the broth). The salt seems to also help with the nausea. My health clinic recommends this for people on chemo, the ultimate nausea. Also popsicles seem to work for me (orange or those white ones if you can send someone out for them).

2009 May 15
tom yum
tom khaa
lemongrass tea
rice congee with tons of ginger
chinese hot and sour soup
anything with ginger
pickled ginger
chrystalized ginger
pho
anything with thai chilis and basil
deepfried thai chilis in golden mountain sauce
tablespoons of vinegar esp sherry or icewine

unlike most people I attack body bugs brutally as I hate being sick
I will stand in front of a blazing grill with my back to it to try to "burn" it out

WASH HANDS FREQUENTLY!!!
take lysol wipes to everything
throw out old toothbrush after the worse has passed

and occasionally when nothing else works:
mi mum's old trick:
take an orange
cut in half
stuff with a bit of rock sugar and a healthy bit of raw ginger
steam 30 mins
when cool enough, eat the whole bloody thing

2009 May 15
Home made chicken soup is a wonderful thing when you are sick!

It helped get me a wife in fact, when I made it for my wife way back when we had only known each other a few weeks. I didn't have a car at the time and sent it 10km to her in a taxi when she was sick.

My recipe for broth is here : urbanhippy.ca/chicken/broth, which of course has links to the videos I did and posted to the site a couple months ago. Chicken carcasses are 3 for $1 at the 168 market ([[vv1106]])

2009 May 15
Definitely pho with lots of sriracha or sambal. Chamomile tea with ginger and lemon sliced into it with honey.

2009 May 15
Second on the Pho!