100 mile meal [General]

2009 May 13
100-Mile Meal to Support Christie Lake Camp
There is a story behind every child who attends Christie Lake Camp just like there is a story behind every food that we consume on a daily basis. The community is invited to hear all these stories at a 100-Mile Meal in support of the kids at Christie Lake Camp on May 29 between 5pm and 8:30pm at Christ Church Cathedral, 420 Sparks St .
The 100-Mile Meal is a strong and growing movement to support the local producers of food, those who devote themselves to growing the freshest and most wholesome foods within 100 miles of our dinner plates. Too often we ignore the fact that many of our food purchases originate far from our homes and often far from our country. Foods that travel vast distances to our homes mark their voyages with a massive carbon footprint. Purchasing locally grown foods not only supports the producers, but carries a strong environmental message. Each local purchase incrementally assists in the fight against global warming and serves as a lesson to us and our children of the need to care for the local environment that sustains our food supply.
Christie Lake Camp was founded in 1922 as an innovative program for assisting youth in developing a sense of responsibility, citizenship through the mechanism of new friendships in the wholesome outdoor environment. This approach represented a revolution in the care and understanding of our youth, not unlike the 100-Mile Meal movement that seeks to create new thinking around our food and environment. It is this union of history and principle that fostered the idea of the Christie Lake 100-Mile Meal fund raiser.
The banquet will feature the culinary exploits of Chef Christine Anderson of Four Sisters Food and musical entertainment by some of the best jazz musicians in Ottawa. The all-local menu will feature many culinary delights including Beef & Dark Ale Pie, Pan Seared Maple Trout, Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with roasted new potatoes, Roasted Asparagus & Mushroom Quiche, served with a seasonal mixed greens salad with goat cheese and balsamic reduction dressing. Dessert will feature a Rhubarb Meringue Pie featuring local rhubarb, eggs and maple syrup. Beverages will include Elderberry Flower Water, Sumac and herbal Algonquin Tea.
Tickets are available by visiting the website www.hundredmilemeal.com.

2009 May 13
Just wondering where I can buy this 100 mile balsamic vinegar. Didn't know anyone made that in Ottawa.

2009 May 13
I just found out about Christie Lake a few weeks ago and was actually considering making a big donation either to it or to a similar program. But I'd prefer to support it directly like that versus indirectly like this. But to each their own - I wish you luck, it is a good cause.

BTW, the address you give here is not the same as that on the website you linked to.