A disgusting but entertaining guacamole story [Food/Vendor]

2007 Feb 12
From 'The Economist' --

"Last year Brenda Lifsey of Los Angeles bought a tub of "guacamole" made by Kraft Foods. When she gave it a try, she noticed something amiss. "It just didn't taste avocadoey," she said. The label confirmed her suspicions. Guacamole is mostly mushed avocado. Kraft's version is less than 2% fruit. Instead, it uses modified food starch, oil, corn syrup and dye. On November 29th, Ms Lifsey sued Kraft for fraud."

EW.

More on the topic:

www.organicconsumers.org

Disgusting ingredients:

www.kraftfoods.com

To be fair to Kraft, I read that container as "dip, guac-flavoured," not "guacamole."

Still thoroughly disgusting, though...

2007 Feb 12
I saw that a while ago, but never saw the actual product. To me, that's just like the rest of their dips - flavoured dip. And I guess I just know that real guacamole could probably never be sold like that - it would go bad too fast.

Has anyone ever seen real guacamole in the stores? I think once when I was in a hurry I saw it at Farm Boy (or somewhere), and remember wondering how on earth they made it so it would stay fresh Even if it was half lemon, it would still go bad, yeh?

2007 Feb 12
I've made my own guacamole at home a few different ways and this next recipe is the absolute best by far!! Plus, this one doesn't darken at all, which I've never seen before...so here goes if you'd like to give it a whirl.

Guacamole With Cottage Cheese

1 ripe avacado
2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
2 tbs. fresh lime juice
1 tbs. chopped scallions
3/4 tsp. minced fresh chile (I've used chili flakes)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
S & P to taste

Puree everything in a food processor or blender and eat immediately or chill.
The flavor increases in intensity as it sits.

2007 Feb 12
Nice. It probalby doesn't go brown because of the ratio of lime:avacado, with the cottage cheese mixed in.

Looks interesting and probably a good recipe to use if you're serving it at a party, when it will sit out for a while.

Someone told me that if you leave the pit in the bottom of the bowl of guac, it won't turn brown. I've yet to test that.

2007 Feb 12
hehe.. good story! I doubt she'll win the suit though. After all, nobody expects "BBQ Dip" to actually be barbecued, so why should they expect "Dip - Guacamole" to actually *be* guac. And how many dill pickles are in a tub of dill pickle dip? If the ingredients weren't listed on the container she might have stood a chance...

My only experience with store-bought guacamole was back in 1996, when I dipped baby carrots into a tub of guacamole absent-mindedly while reading. At some point I realized that there was an acrid flavour to the whole mess, but by then the damage was done. An hour later my insides turned out and I spent the next day embracing the bowl and wishing I was dead.

I cannot eat store-bought guacamole to this day. Always looking for a good recipe though -- I like your cottage cheese suggestion, foodlover!

2007 Feb 13
Well, as long as you're looking for guacamole recipes...

1. Slice 1 avocado in half, remove the pit, squish the flesh out into a bowl, scrape the rest of it out of the peel with a spoon.

2. Add about 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Mash. (I used to do it with a potato masher, but I like my guacamole chunky, so now I just use a spoon.)

3. Stir in 1-2 finely chopped green onions, half a finely chopped tomato (seeds removed), a dash of salt, a dash of cumin or ground cilantro, a dash of green tabasco sauce and/or some finely chopped jalapeno to taste. (When The Husband is away, I sub the cumin or cilantro with finely chopped fresh cilantro. He doesn't like fresh cilantro, but I married him anyway.)

In a hurry, I've been known to just mash an avocado in a bowl with lime juice, add a dash of green tabasco, a dash of salt, and call it a day.

And a tip for removing the pit: after you've sliced the avocado lengthwise "around" the pit, holding one half in each hand, turn the halves about a quarter turn. The halves should separate easily. Hold the half with the whole pit in one hand; with the other hand, whack the pit with a chef's knive. The blade of the knife should be lodged about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way through the pit. Make another little quarter turn and the pit will pop right out.

2007 Feb 13
Recipes? They have recipes for that now?

(sorry...)

"Garden Fresh Gourmet" guacamole is pretty good. It comes in a plastic bag -- in a plastic tub -- so no air exposure; no browning.

Ingredients: Hass avocados, tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper*, salt, cilantro, garlic.

* "Zesty" version.

At Hartman's. Their web site gives an idea of the label --

www.gardenfreshsalsa.com

-- but, oddly, not an accurate one of the packaging. It will brown slightly at the open part of the bag after you snip it, but that squeezes out easily. The rest stays fresh for a disturbingly long time.