albert at bay recommendations? [General]

2009 May 5
I know someone staying at this hotel. what is a good restaurant nearby? there is baton rouge, but that's sort of ehh. I don't want to go to the market, necessarily. anything good within a radius of a few blocks?

2009 May 5
Cafe Zucchero is great for lunch or breakfast.

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/131

2009 May 6
Sconewitch (!) is about a block away on Albert:

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/852

It is amazing for breakfast or lunch.

There is also an Indian buffet and a Thai place on Queen between Bay St. and Bank St., but I haven't been there so I can't vouch for them.

2009 May 6
222 Lyon Tapas is not that far...
I have heard good things about Merlot at the Marriott.(pricey though)

Prime 360 is at Minto suites
Hy's is in the Sun life centre.

Darcy McGee's on Sparks/Elgin is OK. A little far from Bay though.

2009 May 6
If they're willing to walk to Kent and Gloucester, there's also Cafe Saffron as a lunch selection.

www.ottawafoodies.com

The Black Bear is a good place to have a drink and eat some pub grub, too:

www.ottawafoodies.com

I can't really speak for any of the other places that are nearby (Merlot, Café Toulouse, Southern Cross, Bay Street Bistro), since I haven't been to any of them for dinner.

If they're looking for something special, they may have to hie themselves to The Market. My little corner of downtown's a bit of a wasteland for dinner selections.

2009 May 6
I would echo Momomoto's recommendation of the Black Bear. They whip up a mean fish and chips and the beer selection is pretty good.

Other restaurants in the area that I have tried and can recommend are: Green Papaya on Queen (perhaps the on Pan Bagnat referred to?), Carmello's on Sparks, and Eggspectatons and Toscoa both in L'Esplanade Laurier and both open for dinner service. I could also recommend the Parliament Pub on Sparks which is open for lunch and dinner. L'Ange Café is also good however they are usually open just for lunch but I "think" they are now open for dinner service on Friday and Saturday evenings but you might want to call first. If they are willing to venture down Bay to Somerset Chinatown is not too far away. Hot Peppers and Royal Treasures are probably closest to Bay but I'm sure there are lots of other places there that they might like.

2009 May 6
The Black Bear is a great little pub - great selection of scotches and a more 'traditional' scottish-style menu. Som Tum on Kent at Nepean is a great Thai place, though it fills up quickly as it's quite small. If you're looking for something a little fancier/pricier, A'roma Meze is on Nepean just east of Kent (Mediterranean-style tapas) with a great wine list.

2009 May 6
All great options listed above. Also close by is Carmello's on Sparks.