school me on gift baskets [General]

2009 May 1
Concurrent with my "school me on BBQs" thread, I now require a gift basket for someone who helped immensely with the purchase of my home.

**Criteria:**

$30-$75 or so
Food, Wine, Alcohol related

Any tips on where to pickup a nice one in this fine city? For the record I don't feel like doing a DIY job at the moment.

Much appreciated!

2009 May 1
Farm Boy had nice looking baskets on display but I don't think you'd get wine.

I'd try Bodega di Nicastro in the market.

2009 May 1
how about a box of koko truffles, a bottle of port and a bunch of spring tulips? you would have to buy the three things individually...

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1609

or, contact one of your favourite bakeries or shops and just ask. i am sure thyme and again would put together something nice, or nicastro's, or la bottega.

2009 May 1
Ottawa Bagel shop does nice gift baskets in that range if I recall correctly

2009 May 1
The Byward Market building has a gourmet food shop called Canada in a Basket ( www.canadainabasket.com) with lots of neat Canadian food items - think saskatoon berry jam, Inuit tisanes, smoked salmon, specialty vinegars, etc.

Baskets and Bows at 98 Bank St. (www.basketsandbows.ca/) does a roaring business in gift baskets, with gourmet chocos.

Boushey's Fruit Market at 348 Elgin St. makes fruit baskets, which I am sure would be of good quality.

2009 May 1
Monty - I am definitely a DIY kind of gal, so if it was I, you'd find me running around shopping for the perfect mix of items... HipFunkyFun had a good list with the "box of koko truffles, a bottle of port and a bunch of spring tulips"...

But, seeing as that isn't your thing when it comes to Gift Baskets you might want to check out the longest running company in Ottawa... Kit and Kaboodles, they've been in the Manotick area about 25-30 years... they have set items, but they also do custom baskets, and delivery.

Check them out at www.kitandkaboodlesbaskets.com