Hot Dog Rollers [Cooking]

2009 Apr 28
OK, the big thing seems to be hot dog rollers this year, from what i can tell. I actually could see where one of these would be useful, as long as one unit will last me for a good long time and won't rust out and need replacement in 3-5 years (or even 10 years for that matter)

Anyone have any experience with these things?

They are a simple roller that go on top of a grill - much like the ones at 7/11 or Ikea only made for grill top.

2009 Apr 28
between this and collecting old bbqs i'd say you're rigging up a fleet of hotdog carts to hit the streets of ottawa!

"we have olive juice or mountain dew"

2009 Jun 1
did you ever find one of these?

2009 Jun 1
I think I saw something like this at the Glebe Emporium a couple of weeks ago, near the knife display. Oh look, Canadian Tire has them as well!

www.canadiantire.ca

2009 Jun 1
$20 for THAT? i assume he was looking for one with a motor ie the ones you see at convenience stores with the dogs that have been perpetually rolling for the last year ;P

2009 Jun 1
Yes, $20 for THAT. Will this motorized wiener manipulator make you happy Monty or would you prefer to manually manipulate your wiener over a flamin' ash-hole? (put a Sean Connery accent on that)

www.amazon.com

2009 Jun 1
Huh. A hot dog roller with a handle. I'm surprised that it's designed to roll forward and backward, rather than side to side, given how short the handle looks in the picture. Sure, it's easier to roll across perpendicular to the grating of the grill rather than parallel with it, but isn't your hand going to get hot?

2009 Jun 1
Yes, it looks like you might end up burning your hand in the process. Frankly (pun intended), I enjoy my wieners a little crispy.

2009 Jun 2
Okay, time to digress, veggie dogs...anybody know of any good ones worth trying?

2009 Jun 2
Spud Guy - Yve's or even the President's Choice ones are alright.

BTW - I tried your potato wedges on the weekend with the garlic dipping sauce at the Carp Farmer's market, they were tasty!

2009 Jun 2
Yes, I love Yve's veggie dogs! They have a bit of a funny flavour/texture, but I get over it pretty quickly :)

2009 Jun 3
i like Yve's. i usually buy the spicy ones. they also have veggie sausage style ones.

2009 Jun 3
Interesting BBQ Gadget... although I too would think it more useful if it was an electric model vs the manual one... then again, I won't be buying one as the kids have all left home, and hence "The Man" and I rarely eat hotdogs, we are far more likely to grill steaks, ribs, burgers, chicken & fish.

2009 Jun 3
Well, will you look at that. This just got posted on Uncrate:

www.brookstone.com

$70US, though. At that price, you may as well shell out the extra $15 for the two-year replacement plan ("Extended warranty? How can I lose?")