Quick Eats [General]

2009 Apr 23
I'm new to the area and am curious if there are any "good", quick, cheap places to go for lunch in the Market/Downtown area or even in the Kanata area. Since I'm new to the area, I typically eat alone, and don't really want to spend a bunch of money for a solo lunch meal.

2009 Apr 23
Market - check out the Maroush Schawarma down there.

Marroush

Mmmmmm.

2009 Apr 23
cwilker10 - An idea of your lunch budget might be helpful... under $ 10 or above?

2009 Apr 23
Somewhere around the $10 mark would be good..give or take a couple dollars. I think that Shawarma is going to fit the bill, but with so many around I'm wondering if there is anything else along the same lines.

2009 Apr 23
Maroush is very well known as the best Shawarma in town, just FYI. Though of course there are degrees of perfection because there are a lot of very good ones in town!

2009 Apr 23
You can get an absurd amount of food for less than a tenner at the Sausage Kitchen... or even just a good sausage on a bun for a couple bucks.

2009 Apr 23
Ahora on Dalhousie has good Mexican. Not as fast or as cheap as shawarma but I think it would be a good fit.

2009 Apr 23
lots of street meat vendors and chip trucks out there
esp now that the inclement weather seems to be gone
just follow your nose

2009 Apr 23
cwilker10 - A downtown institution... one of my favourites, and by accounts an OF all-star when it comes to the Quick Lunch, German Town Deli - German Town Deli

As for Kanata, fast food that isn't icky like fast food, two favourites of mine would be Extreme Pita - Extreme Pita or Subway - Subway

There are probably a lot more for both locations (and some hidden gems), can't think of any right off the top of my head... you might want to use the TAGS feature here on OF... it will help you to find Vendors in any area (ie Kanata) and then you'll have a better idea of what is out there.

2009 Apr 24
Sandwiches at La Bottega in The Market is also a good choice. A delicious sandwich, a drink, and maybe even a little piece of torrone for dessert is about ten dollars.

2009 Apr 26
Thanks for all the ideas! I did happen to find La Bottega. I saw so many people coming out, I thought it must be good. I'm looking forward to trying the German Town Deli and the Sausage Kitchen. I also need to find a good chip wagon. Should be a nice adventure to discover these places.

2009 Apr 27
Don't know if its the best roti in town, but Caribbean Sizzler is pretty quick & tasty, imo:

Caribbean Sizzler

2009 Apr 27
cwilker10 - It's been awhile since I worked right downtown, but there used to be a great chip wagon just off of Bank Street, WESTSIDE corner of Gloucester (although it might have been Nepean or Lisgar, can't remember exactly, but it wasn't far from L'Esplanade Laurier). This truck was actually parked in a parking spot on the cross street, and if I remember correctly it was a blue and yellow truck. As I said, it's been awhile, but I know the fries were delish... and evidently he had been there for many years... and was a favourite with many many office workers in the area.

Perhaps someone who lives or works downtown, could confirm whether he's still around.

PS... If you are new to Ottawa, you'll want to know that the preferred street food is sausages on a bun (Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Polish, Italian, etc). And be sure over a period of time to try all the fixin's (and various combinations). Generally thought it is a good idea to stay away from the Hot Dogs and Hamburgers... I don't know why, but most places don't do them well.

2009 May 1
Here are some old favourites (from when I used to work downtown) and a new place that I've heard about since:

Bread and Sons - a bakery that does sandwiches, salads and soups

Cafe Saffron - cafeteria style Thai restaurant that does take out and has a few tables for eating in

LUNCH - haven't actually tried this place, but it was discussed favourably here recently

2009 May 1
There are a few places in Kanata where I can grab something quick, relatively inexpensive and good. Tomaso's pizza in Centrum has very good wood fired pizza (many choices available by the slice), decent daily pasta specials and tasty paninis. They also have small salads. One could easily have pizza, salad and a drink for well under $10. If you like chip wagon fare, Glen's fries at the Canadian Tire has some of the best fries around as well as the usual hotdogs, pogos, sausages and burgers. Shawarma Prince on Hazeldean Road (same plaza as A Buck Or Two) has quite good shawarmas, falafels and donairs. They have good chicken specials and all kinds of sides(I wouldn't say they qualify as "best in Ottawa" but I've always enjoyed my choice). They even have pickled turnip which is a must for me. Good sandwiches and daily pasta specials are available at Pesto's also on Hazeldean Road (in the plaza with Milano's and KFC). And any of the prepared dishes I have tried at Farmboy have been good to very good--though Pesto's would be my choice for a sandwich.
Ox Head in the Centrum Plaza has decent vietnamese food at reasonable prices--lots of choices for 1 under $10.

2009 May 1
I can now speak quite favorably of the German Town Deli, had my first experience there today and it was very tasty, quick, and priced right. I will absolutely go back and so will the 2 coworkers who came with me.

2009 May 6
for Kanata - Pho Moonlight on Hazeldean across from Farm Boy. Good pho -fast, fresh. grilled pork vermicelli bowl and rice paper platters are great.
i agree with w.c., Pesto's on Hazeldean at Castlefrank has excellent sandwiches.

2009 May 7
Inside the Market Mall there are a few places that are okay, there's in particular to my mind, a panini place ensconced at one end of the market building next to rocky mountain treats across the street from Beaver Tails. They have a great selection of sandwiches and pasta salads that I think comes in at around 9 dollars for sandwich and pasta? It's worth checking out, far from a gastronomic revolutionary they're more just the dependable plodding 'good' food served fast.

2009 May 7
Oh and in Kanata there's Uncle Buck's pizza, a sandwich shop and a fish market all in one little cul de sac mall the first left turn past the OPP building on Campeau.