A Taste For Life 2009 [General]

2009 Apr 22
Hi Everyone,

The annual 'A Taste For Life' event is next Wednesday, April 29th. Participating restaurants will donate 25% of the cost of your meal to Bruce House and The Snowy Owl AIDS Foundation - 2 organizations that provide care for those living with AIDS, and also help with prevention programs.

See the list of participating restaurants here:

www.atasteforlife.org,2,0,0,1,0

2009 Apr 28
bump

2009 Apr 28
Monty - Thanks for posting this... Hopefully there will be more OF Participants than last year (only Jules) in 2007 we had a better showing. See www.ottawafoodies.com for discussion from previous years.

2009 Apr 28
Excellent, I will have to try to take the opportunity to dine out, though I wish I had seen the post earlier.

2009 Apr 28
Sorry Foodies,

I do participate every year. I must admit I am a lurker not a poster... sorry I am a bad foodie friend.

Last year we went to Whalesbone. We were going to do Wellington Gastro this year, but thier non compliant City review changed my mind. I know I know people are going to lash out at me for saying that, but I figure the rules are in place for a reason and why should some not comply when others do.

I may have opened a can of worms here. (Hence why I am a lurker and not a poster...)LOL

2009 Apr 28
from da rock, i am surprised you would let a 6-week old non-critical inspection stop you from going to one of the best reviewed restaurants in town. it is a minor infraction and it has absolutely nothing to do with food safety at that restaurant (according to the health inspection FAQ information). infact, the problem may have been fixed weeks ago and the online report not updated to reflect that yet.

2009 Apr 28
From Da Rock - Hi, good to see you again, you need to post more... :-)

Good to hear that you are participating, I am going to rearrange my schedule so we can attend as well... seems to be a rather extensive list of Restaurants this year to choose from.

As for the City's Inspection Reports... I agree with HipFunkyFun's comments, but that is as far as I'm willing to go... I think that the poor horse has had his day, so I'm sure you'll appreciate that I'm all in favour of putting the whip away!

2009 Apr 28
Maybe it's just me, but it looks like From Da Rock wanted to open a can of worms with that comment. The topic is not gastropub, so why even bring it up??

Back on topic, wish I had known about this event before it was (pretty much) too late! Was it well advertised? Am I just out of the loop?

2009 Apr 28
It definitely wasn't an in-your-face campaign. I saw it advertised on the Food Mode magazine website.

2009 Apr 29
Um...no that was not my reasoning, but any how I should have given some more insight in my past experiences with the event.

In most part I have found over the years it is been 25% donation on food only not alcohol. (Too bad as booze usually accounts for 50% of the meal)

For the past few years I have found most places are booked up for the event 3 weeks or more before so maybe that has been the reasoning for light promotional efforts. Although I did not find this so this year. (Is it due to economic times?)

I have known about this event for years, and to be honest can not remember how I found out about it. Maybe Ottawa Magazine??? So I guess I would not notice current promotional campaigns.

In the last two yaers I find there are not as many participating restaurants. Unfortunately most do not do anything special for the event itself. Some do. Some have seatings and set menus. I like to beable to order off the every day menu even for this special event it gives me a chance to try a new place and give back to a good cause.

All in all, hope everyone enjoys thier night of yumminess for a good cause tonight.

2009 Apr 29
First time I participate in this event but I'm sure it won't be the last! I have made reservations at Caffé Italia.

2009 Apr 30
I made my way into Newport Pizza for this and spent far too much money (on a gourmet pizza + a pint) for a good cause. :)

2009 Apr 30
We went to The Glen for Fish & Chips. The food was great. (I will write up a Review) and the place was pretty busy for a Wednesday evening... good turn out for the fundraiser! After being seated by the Hostess, we were welcomed by a lady representing the Charities, she was very pleasant... and told us about the Fundraiser. She also gave us our Draw Tickets to fill out (great prizes this year). At least at The Glen this was a low-key fundraiser, just the welcome and then you were on your own for dinner... we were pleased, and made an additional donation to the cause.

2009 Apr 30
Caffé Italia had a limited menu and the food wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. (I'm wondering if some of it was prepared in advance since they knew they would be very busy). But I won't harp on the negative because the service was excellent and I commend Caffé Italia for participating in this event. I will participate again next year but I will try a different establishment.