IP eh [General]

2009 Apr 22
OK, this is completely shameless self-promotion. But I have precious few claims to fame, and one of my proudest is my coining of "eh" in the name of a beer in the same way that Beau's has done with their new IP eh! So darnit I've got to stake out my turf when some young whipper-snapper comes along like that :-)

It was back in the summer of 2004 as I recall. I searched the archives of the brewers list, and the earliest reference I can find is about then. It was on Canada Day, too! Appropriately.

As I think I've mentioned here before, I'm sort of considered an expert on the Koelsch style of beer, brewed in Cologne, Germany. Having lived there a few years. I actually helped draft the guidelines for the style at www.bjcp.org. Anyway, in Europe the name "Koelsch" is legally protected, so that only brewers in and around Cologne can brew a beer by this name. I've therefore always called my beer brewed to this style "Koelschy", in regards to the desires of the brewmasters in Cologne. Incidentally, Lugtread is a Koelsch-style beer, and I am glad they do not call it "Koelsch" (like the Clocktower so blatantly does - it is not a legally protected name in North America, unfortunately)

Anyway, on Canada Day back in 2004 I was brewing a Koelschy, and drinking a few too as I recall :-), and decided to coin a new term for this style of beer when brewed by a Canadian homebrewer - I proudly declared it Koelsch-eh! And it stuck. It's been used now for some 5 years by the lads on the list.

"Just sayin'" as they say :-) I've got precious few claims to fame, and that happens to be one of them!

EDIT: oh, and certainly no disrespect meant, and I'm not trying to say anyone has stole my term, but one of the owners of Beau's has been an active member of our brewers' list since well before the brewery ever brewed its first batch.

I guess I am saying I would kind of like to be the one who gets credit for the clever use of "eh" :-) Not necessarily by Beau's mind you. That's just silly. Unless they try to trademark it or something maybe.

2009 Apr 23
Zym, I think Beau's owes you at least a case of the IP-eh! Seems like a fair out of court settlement :)

2009 Apr 23
I'd settle for that :-)

2009 Apr 24
Nice job. It'll give me some *other* reason to go to Beau's apart from the zillion empties of theirs I have ;)

2009 Apr 24
I have not tried it yet but judging how authentic Lugtread is as a Koelsch-style beer (a "Koelsch-eh", if you will!), I would expect this to be absolutely fabulous! These guys really know how to brew beer - at very least the very kind that I like to drink! :-)

A lot of the guys on the brewers' list would love to buy more Beau's, actually, but it is so expensive in those flip-top bottles. I'm so glad I have the gear to tap a keg whenever I want one because it is actually pretty priceworthy when you do it that way :-P

2009 Apr 24
Zym - Not being a beer drinker could you crunch me the numbers say for another premium (albeit common place beer, say Corona or such). Cost for a case per ounce, vs Beaus per ounce. Just curious.

2009 Apr 24
F&T - go to the Beer Store and buy anything in the 24 size from Camerons, Brick (I own stock), Wellington, Waterloo (also Brick, I own stock), Mill St, Steam Whistle, Heritage, Seargeant Majors, or just about any Ontario Micro. Even Creemore which is now owned by Molson!

But if you are talking IPA sytle beer, then Wellington would be one of the best examples, or Propellor from Halifax actually even better, or Magnotta who also makes beer kits for homebrewers based on their award-winning beers at available at the Beer Store

2009 Apr 24
Zym - Thanks for the rundown on the beer (I learned alot) but that doesn't answer my per ounce Question... Beaus vs another similar beer, what is the difference in cost per ounce... your complaint was the fact that the 750 ml was "expensive"... just wanted to know how much so when compared to something comparible.

PS... Surely it can't be the 750 ml bottle that freaks you out... a good beer drinking guy like yourself... thats what 2 Beers (standard bottles) or about 1-1/2 Drafts.

2009 Apr 24
One quick comparable: Fin Du Monde -> $5.45 (reg. price) vs. Beau's -> $ 7.65.

lcbo.ca
lcbo.ca

Not saying i wouldn't pick up a Beau's, but it does stand out a bit on its price.

2009 Apr 24
Per 750ml? Hmmm, that's easy. Well, rough.

I think for $30 without deposit you can get a pretty decent Ontario Micro. $35 for sure. But let's say $40 just in case. So that is

341 x 24 = 8184 = 8.184 litres

so divide that by 750 and you get

8184 / 750 = 10.912

So what does Beau's cost per bottle? Multiply that by 10 (11 actually, but 10 is easier) and compare to the cost of a 24 of say Brickmann Pilsener at somewhere around $40 per 24

So is Beau's $8 / bottle? If so, then you are comparing $80 vs $40 (Ok, since I don't really know, lets be generous and say $50 but I am fairly certain that $40 would get you there)

In any case still pretty cheap as you can see.

Is my math right? Anyone want to check it for me?

2009 Apr 24
Its Friday. Let's just assume your math is unassailable. :-)

either way, i wouldn't (dare) rant against Beau's. I like / drink it on tap where available, but for bottled take-aways, $7+ catches some pretty interesting selections at Deps like Marché Jovi (for example), just a couple minutes away in Gatineau.

beeradvocate.com

2009 Apr 24
Zym & Itchy Feet - Thanks guys... wow interesting info. So, all this of course goes to say that for those who drink it, Beau's is indeed worth it.

*I've never heard "The Man" complain at either the price of their beer, or the large unique bottle... he seems to like both.
:-)

2009 Apr 25
F&T, perhaps i was a bit too implicit, but as a sometimes-drinker of Beau's, i do find its price and bottle-weight a bit of a deterrent.

I'll give them an extra $1 (or so) for their organic ingredients, but a point in my comparable (La Fin Du Monde) above is to suggest i'd rather my $7-8 go toward what's in the bottle, not the container itself. That bottle (is it called a growler, btw?) is bulky, esp. in biking season, and requires more effort to return. (Being purposively naive on the last point --i just read the "Bottle Return" section of their site, but still...) Anyway, they make good product and i try to turn visitors onto them, but i don't quite agree Beau's is always "worth it" for personal at-home consumption. Give me a 6-pack i can easily drink one at a time and return, and i could easily be swayed, though.

Back to Zym's expertise on Koelsch w/ a question. Wikipedia's entry refers to its main (regional, historical) competitor as Altbier. Skimming the entries for both, an interesting contrast between the two is that Altbier doesn't fall under the "protected designation of origin." Any theories, perhaps historical, as to the difference here (Zym, others)?

Wikipedia doesn't really expand on this, but the Koelsch entry is sort of an amusing read, esp. the section concerning the culture of its consumption:

"... another interesting sociological point concerning Kölsch is that its consumption is deemed acceptable by women to a much greater extent than other beers in Germany, and also that it is often drunk in groups of rather mixed social standing — exclusiveness is frowned upon by the Kölsch drinking culture, and there is a deal between the breweries that no Kölsch will be sold with any extra titles like "Premium", "Special", "Extra high quality" or some such. Karl Marx once famously remarked that his revolution could not work in Cologne, since the bosses went to the same pubs as their workers."

en.wikipedia.org(beer)

haha, maybe w/ its egalitarian roots, Koelsch would be a strong contender as the official beer of Ottawa Foodies? anyhoo, its not even lunchtime, and like Chimi, i'm obsessing about beer!

2009 Apr 25
A couple reasons why kolsch is a protected designation and altbier isn't. The big one is that brewing in Cologne has always been a major industry, and when pilsner came knocking they threw up the barricades. It would have been fairly easy to pass off a pilsner variant as a "kolsch" or to at least market it as such, so by protecting the name they ensured that only their beer would be of the city and keep its stranglehold on the town. The other reason is that kolsch is specific to a city, altbier, while centred in Dusseldorf, is brewed throughout the region.

Mind you, these are reasons, personally I think the protected designation is stupid and entirely unwarranted.

A growler is almost 2L, you can get them at the brewery, the standard Beau's bottles are bombers. Whatever you might think of the price, it has certainly served them well. I imagine we'll see traditional bottles in the not-to-distant future though.

2009 Apr 25
The biggest reason I can see is that Koelsch includes the name of the city in the name. "Koelsch" means "that which hails from Koeln", and the word is not just the beer, it is the people and their language too. "Koelsch" is the name of the local dialect. And while normally someone from Cologne is a "Koelner", some people say that this name applies to anyone living there no matter where you are from. People whose roots are in the city are said to be "Koelsche"

Alt does not have a place name in the name of the beer. Incidentally, both Koelsch and Alt are "barricade beers" in the sense that Brian Mc mentions. When Pilsener came along, brewers all over the continent gave in and started brewing it, replacing their local drink. But Koelsch and Alt brewers keep brewing theirs "the old way" (which is where the name "Alt" comes from "alt" == "old")

And part of the reason is probably as well that they saw what happened to Pils when Plzn did not declare their beer as a protected name.

2009 Apr 25
Itchy Feet - The Growler is the 1.89 Litre Jug (pictured) and is perfect for sharing with friends... we pick these up at the Brewery, and they are ideal during Playoff Seasons... Grey Cup, SuperBowl, World Jr. Hockey, Stanley Cup, and Summer BBQs.

I think they fill a niche market for when one is having a get together, but may not be able to handle a keg (although if I recall Beau's now has kegs in different sizes).

Growlers are "only" available at the Brewery (and returnable to the Brewery... Deposit is $ 4)... and Beau's typically markets "Seasonals" in them.

Downside to a Growler... is once open they have to be consumed... beer goes flat otherwise in a day or two.

2009 Apr 25
Itchy Feet - The standard Beaus 750 ml Ceramic Bottle (pictured) is the one that Zym and I were referring to... (Brian Mc says it is called a Bomber... never knew that).

I agree it is larger than the Industry standard long-neck brown bottle (which is 341 ml / about 12 oz)... coming in at about twice the size. And indeed it is heavier being ceramic vs glass.

We support Beaus because they are local, and most importantly they make a good product... and "The Man" would generally prefer to drink their beer over a mass-produced Canadian (or North American) because he says it tastes better. I agree there is a big diffrence in packaging (and with that a difference in perception)... individual ceramic bottles vs zillions upon zillions of cases of brown buddies that run thru a conveyor filling system... the image just says "mass produced, tasteless".

I think that when Beaus started out they had a vision for producing a beer that not only tasted good, but looked good... they opened the Brewery only selling the Growlers (remember that, it seems so long ago)... then when they went to the LCBO they introduced the swing-top bottle, that bottle in particular has become part of their signature (both positively & negatively). In a good way it made them stand heads and shoulders above the rest (literally at the LCBO on the shelves). But in a negative way, it has caused them grief with The Beer Store / Ontario Bottle Return Program.

Smart folks at Beaus figured out a way to get Consumer Loyalty to stand behind them in fighting the Big Bad Ontario Government... and help a cause at the same time, and hence "Send a Bottle Back... Operation Go Home" was launched.

I haven't been out to the Brewery for awhile... plan to get out there this week to pick up some of the newly launched Beaver River IP Eh? and I'm curious to see if they have changed their plans about "standard bottle" distribution.

I think that a year ago they were planning to go that route for sure... just hoping to get the cash together to buy the equipment (HUGE outlay of cash to go automated), but now I wouldn't be surprised if that whole idea is taking a back burner... I think they probably have discovered that the ceramic bottles is now part of who they are. Branding if you will.

And as already discussed in this topic, they are getting $ 7.50 (rounded) per 750 ml of Beer. If they go with the industry standard bottle, then the Customer may very well have a mental backlash against the price. It is ok, to charge $ 7.50 for the 750 ml, because it is so different, but to charge $ 3.41 for a 341 ml ($ 40.92 for a case of 12) probably won't work... for the reasons that Zym pointed out earlier... it would be twice the price of everyone elses beer in the same packaging... therefore sales will decrease not increase.

So why change something that is obviously working for them, both in sales volume and profits?

Nah, me thinks they will stay the course.

*Downside to all of Beau's products (or maybe an upside, depending on how you look at it), being organic with no preservatives, means the shelf-life is relatively short. 30 Days is the recommended (from bottling to consuming)... In our experience, we have been able to stretch it out to 40 or 45 days, but "The Man" says there is a definite decrease in quality, and somewhere about that range, it just "goes off". So when buying a case of beer, or a bunch of Growlers one has to always be aware of these factors. We "always" check the dates on the bottles if we buy from the LCBO.

2009 Apr 25
Just got back from the brewery. The IPA is pretty bold. IPAs tend to tilt towards malt heavy English versions or hop heavy American versions. Seems to me the IPEh took the two extremes and tossed them together. Huge, ESB-like malt backbone with a heap of piney North American hops. Certainly out there for the Ontario market, I applaud their courage.

Also, I very much doubt the beer in standard bottles would be a factor of the $7.50. That price includes the premium packaging. An automated canning or bottling system would definitely cut down on the price and bring it in line with other Ontario and Quebec craft brews.

2009 Apr 25
Brian Mc - Interesting about the new brew Beaver River IP Eh?, so you liked it? Bought some? "The Man" likes the ESB Beers... so maybe worth a try. Courage is something Beaus certainly seems to have, they continually push things so as to stay different. I admire that. Good old Ottawa Valley Gumption!

As for mass bottling in standard bottles, I too basically was saying that the $ 7.50 calculation wouldn't be possible... agree that the "premium packaging" is currently part of the draw and the expense.

However, Beaus admits that they are aiming for the "premium" market, as Steve has said they could have sold their beer at the same price as everyone else, they chose not too... they wanted to stand out from the crowd.

Downside to standard bottling would be less profit margin... as already stated they are charging currently a cent per ml based on the 750 ml bottle... and BTW, those swing-top bottles although pricey, are not as expensive as we all think they are... Beaus told me that directly when the whole Bottle Return fiasco was underway... there is still lots of room for profit. Going to automated bottling, would cut down on that percentage of profit, but then again they'd probably make up for it in volume.

And come to think of it Brian Mc you maybe right on that whole "automated" call... they may have to make the change over if they want to get into the Quebec market... which is where I am sure they have their eyes set on (as it is like 5 minutes down the road).

Curious though to see if they'll go automated with the standard bottles, or push the envelope yet again, and go with the Bombers. LOL, they do like to keep those that watch them guessing!

2009 Apr 25
I liked it... I think. I have a bottle chilling, it's hard to tell with samplers. It comes in at 5.5% according to the tag, but certainly drinks alot heavier. I bought three bottles. One for me, one for my girlfriend (also for me) and another for trade or if I get really thirsty. Oh, also, they were $9 a bottle.

2009 Apr 25
Okay, take 2. This is a fantastic beer, go buy some. Serve a little cooler than you normally would.

2009 Apr 25
Why cooler? The style would normally be served a bit warmer than normal, no?

2009 Apr 25
Because I think there is a teensy problem with the balance. My sample was warmer than my bottle and I found the sweetness from the malt a little bit off, stylistically it was a bit over the top. Well chilled, the malt is a bit more muted and the hops are able to shine. The sample I had at the brewery and my bottle were like night and day. Of course if you're looking for a bock with a wheel barrow full of American hops that's fine, but I found it a bit odd.

2009 Apr 26
"So why change something that is obviously working for them, both in sales volume and profits?"

Is this fact? If so, good for them.

All I know is I buy a lot of beer per week and a substantial amount of that would go to Beau's if their prices fit within the standard range of Ontario microbrews.

I like Lug Tread, but not enough to pay the premium. Plenty of other great beers out there that seem to be able to offer a fairer price.

2009 Apr 26
They are expanding like crazy and can barely keep up with demand. So evidently there are enough people out there who don't mind (cough,cough,over-)paying the price they are asking. I suspect they'd have to up their volume substantially to sell at a lower price. Because selling the current volume at a lower price would of course be foolish because it would be an overall loss.

I really like Beau's too but never buy it because of this, and I know a lot of guys who are in the same boat. I do from time to time buy Ontario micros.

Though in fairness I have bought a keg or two of Beau's.

2009 Apr 26
Ollie - Zym is absolutely right... it has been unbelievable since day one... they hardly ever seem albe to keep up with demand... pretty much have to work around the clock... and the marketshare seems to be continually growing.

As I said I haven't been out to the Brewery for awhile, but I like to keep up-to-date by reading the Blog, here's the entries for March back when they installed 4 new Fermenters... www.beausbeer.blogspot.com

Anyways, I for one can't fault Beaus for asking a price that the market has decided it can bear. It is the same as any other good or service, either you can afford it (or make a way to) or you can’t. For some it is a day-to-day essential, for others a special treat. Same way as steak can be for some people (I know wierd example).

On a similar note, I guess the cheapest way to get one’s Beaus fix is actually at a Pub on tap… because from what I understand although it is considered a “premium” beer it is in-line pricewise with the rest of the premiums on offer.

2009 Apr 26
If you ignore the $2 deposit on the ceramic bottles, the price is a little bit more in-line with what Ontario craft brewers are charging.

How can I ignore the $2 deposit, you ask? Simple! I return them to the brewery and get the $2 merchandise credit they offer. Usually to buy glasses. One can never have too many glasses.

2009 Apr 26
Brian Mc / Zym, thanks for the historical backgrounder. Have to admit i might find that more interesting than the per ml cost of Beau's vs. xzy. Thanks also for the IP eh review, Brian. Sounds like an interesting brew, will check it out.

F&T: there's a lot that to unpack in your references to "mental backlash", "markets" and "steak", but i think i'd end up restating my earlier points (and those made by Ollie and Zym) -- namely, something about not quite fitting into Beau's current consumer profile. I'm more of a "potential" customer, someone who might be won over w/ tweaks to their model; i'm not a "loyalist". That's my modest (and unsolicited) contribution to their consumer research process (assuming they scan these forums from time to time).

2009 Apr 27
Momomoto - Like you I take my empties to the Brewery... it's easy enough for us to do (plus we always have a couple of Growlers floating around), taking empites to the Brewery is actually more convenient for us than the "intown" options. We are amassing quite a collection of glasses, and of course are looking forward to the new items that I hear "are in the pipe" when it comes to merchandise. So not only we do we drink our Beaus we wear it with pride!
:-)