Foodies - please help me pick a restaurant :) [General]

2009 Apr 21
Hi everyone!
I have a milestone event coming up this Friday (anniversary) , and am looking for help in picking a restaurant. I was thinking of going the The Wellington Gastropub (we've never been there), but am open to other suggestions.
About us:

We are not "dressy" type people, but I will put on a dress if I have to, and force Mr. RDMS to wear a jacket and tie if need be ;)

Mr. RDMS has some food allergies, so I'd like to go to a place that will take this issue seriously.

We do not generally imbibe at dinner (Mr. RDMS is a bartender, so we imbibe at home - I do not handle alcohol well at all)

Price is not an issue.

Would The Wellington Gastropub fill these requirements??

Thanks for your advice!

rdmsgirl

2009 Apr 21
No need to dress up at the Gastropub! I normally go in jeans and a T. Though you can if you want and would not be out of place either.

I definitely recommend going there if you have never been! Especially if price is not an issue. It is not astronomical by any means, but it is a bit on the pricey side

2009 Apr 21
rdms: I am partial to Whalesbone Oyster House, it is a place which I look forward to visiting again and again. I particularly like the atmosphere, lively and pretty casual. However, I haven't been since they have had their new chef in place.

Murray Street and Domus were good as well and I would recommend them (although I really only know the charcueterie bar at Murray St. - the duck liver mousse is excellent and a must try).

2009 Apr 21
One of the best things about Wellington Gastropub is that you can get great high-end food without having to get all dressed up, as Zymurgis said it's very casual (relative to the prices). Be warned thought, they have a very large selection of alcohol which can be hard to resist:) Also, if this is for an anniversary, I wouldn't describe the atmosphere as "romantic", don't know it this matters to you.

If you're looking for a place that takes allergies seriously I recommend Sweetgrass on Murray, great food and great service, they really go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect for you.

2009 Apr 21
everyone who has tried has loved atelier.
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1560

www.atelierrestaurant.ca/

2009 Apr 22
Looks like Wellington Gastropub is out for now - Mr. RDMS wants a slightly more romantic place :) (He's promised we can go another time)

2009 Apr 22
I vote Domus then. Intimate and terrific food.

2009 Apr 22
Honestly I'm not sure what is not romantic about the gastro pub.

Siam Bistro - that's very unromantic.

Gastropub can IMO be VERY romantic if you get the right corner.

2009 Apr 22
I have to concur with Zym - there are private corners & booths in the Gastropub. It's a fav of mine.

2009 Apr 22
Les Fougeres would be nice if you could get one of the tables in the back overlooking the garden.

2009 Apr 23
Atelier for SURE.
They take food allergies very very seriously (and the substitutions are wonderful) and while the wine pairings are nice they are certainly not necessary for the meal.

I found the dining room to be very nicely lit and intimate. It would be my number one pick for an anniversary dinner (I just went for my birthday in February and my parents are STILL talking about how amazing it was.)

2009 Apr 23
Romance is a funny thing. I remember romantic evenings at a Royal Oak, when the place is jam packed full of regulars, bumping and jostling, the smell of cigarettes wafting back in the windows and doors from outside, but for all I cared, it was just her, and me that mattered....

2009 Apr 23
Pete-In-Ottawa - Couldn't agree more... although a nice setting, is well nice... it really comes down to who you are with, and how much you are enjoying each other's company... Funny to say, but I gotta admit that "The Man" can make a regular old chore like buying groceries romantic... it's all about attitude. LOL.

(My mind is on a grocery track right now due to the "Are We Lazy" topic).

2009 Apr 23
I vote for Les Fougeres (Best canard confit) or Chez Eric, if you are willing to drive that far. For a romantic setting, hummmmm... Social (in the back near the bar), Beckta, Domus and Murray street (Duck liver mousse is to die for). Gastropub can get loud I guess, but the food is worth it.

2009 Apr 23
Murray Street is a great recommendation, and they have a perfect menu of foods to share, etc, if you find that kind of thing romantic.

2009 Apr 24
Thanks everyone for your advice :) Funny, Mr. RDMS changed the plans and thought that a nice lunch and stroll through the Byward Market would be nice, since the weather is going to be warm. I recommended Sweetgrass, but go figure - they are not open for lunch on the weekends... whoever answered the phone at Sweetgrass recommended Domus for lunch - classy move on their part!

2009 Apr 24
Pete-in-Ottawa and Food & Think, I agree that romance can be had in the most unconventional places ;)

2009 Apr 24
Hm, never had lunch at Domus... Murray Street has a fantastic (and relatively cheap) lunch menu too, they also serve a good pint.

2009 Apr 24
Lunch at both Domus and Sweetgrass are really good. I can't comment on lunch at Murray Street, but it's probably great based on how much I enjoy dinner there ;)

2009 Apr 24
Atelier, without a second thought.

www.atelierrestaurant.ca

Seriously, they're absolutely amazing, nothing in the area even compares.

2009 Apr 26
Thanks all - we chose Domus :) It was perfect!!!