Sundried Tomatoes [General]

2009 Apr 20
I added "sundried tomatoes" as a new food, because I do find distinct variations of them across the city. But, one of comments sparked response, and I kind of feel like it could be discussed in the forums...

Do you rehydrate the sundried tomatoes that are not bottled in oil? The first time I came across the dried tomatoes was in Italy, and they were vacuum packed. We didn't need to rehydrate them but they were as tender or more so than the ones we get in oil. This begs the questions: What is the difference? Where can you get such fine dried (but not bottled) tomatoes? and also, if you do rehydrate them, how do you ensure that any seasoning/flavour doesn't become diluted?

2009 Apr 21
i use a very small amount of boiling water to rehydrate them and then i use the water in the dish. i use sundried tomatoes most regularly in various tapenades for grilled polenta. i don't use them in a tomato sauce whole they way i think you did?

2009 Apr 21
here is a little google info i found on using dried sundried tomatoes:

Sun-dried tomato tips
Unless they are already packing in oil, sun-dried tomatoes will need to be reconstituted before use. Just let them soak in warm water for thirty minutes until soft and pliable, drain (reserve the liquid to add flavor to stocks and sauces), pat dry and use as directed in your recipe. You can also use wine, broth, or other cooking liquid to reconstitute. Once reconstituted, use them within several days or pack in olive oil and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

To reconstitute in oil, simply cover the dried tomatoes with oil and refrigerate for 24 hours. To use oil-packed, drain tomatoes from oil and use. Always be sure that those left in the jar are completely covered with oil, which may mean adding more oil as you use the tomatoes. Don't toss out that oil when you're done with the tomatoes. It will pick up flavor from the tomatoes and be great in salad dressings or used for stir-frys and sauteing.

and, the best sundried tomatoes are the ones you make yourself! i make a huge batch and the end of the summer with all my tomatoes. if you don't grow tomatoes, just buy some at the farmer's market. your own don't need to be rehydrated i find.

2009 Apr 21
Very interesting hipfunkyfun; I hsve been using dried sundried tomatoes without reconstituting them. They provide a very concentrated flavour, but it tends to work out well in my experience though I could certainly see the benefit of reconstituting them in that fashion.

2009 Apr 21
here are some interesting articles from mark bittman (NYT). he uses sun-dried not packed in oil and likes them both rehydrated or left as is and chopped up.

bitten.blogs.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

2009 Apr 21
HipFunkyFun - Never thought of making my own Sundried Tomatoes, could you give some more tips (method info) on how to go about doing that. Thanks

2009 Apr 21
i will have to dig up my recipe, but basically you put them in the oven for a few hours. sometimes i take them out before they are finished and have them with pasta and fresh basil, other times i dose them with garlic before drying them. there are lots of recipes online for 'oven dried tomatoes', and they are all really similar.

i have not tried to do them outdoors in the sun. well, i did try, but gave up and finished them off in the oven.