Foodies in Ottawa Mourn [General]

2009 Apr 19
Sad news today for Ottawa Foodies, Kurt Waldele longtime Executive Chef at the NAC passed away yesterday afternoon (Saturday, April 18, 2009).

For more info, see the article in today's Ottawa Citizen
www.ottawacitizen.com

and Ron Eade's Blog Omnivore's Ottawa
communities.canada.com

This is a huge loss for the Canadian Food Scene which he passionately promoted and our city.

I last saw Kurt at the Ottawa Food & Wine Show back in November, he was sitting at the other end of counter at Merlot's Food & Wine Pairing. He was joined by Johnny Leung of the British High Commission, the two of them were in great spirits and having a good time. While we were enjoying our meal, he joked with Executive Chef Steven Gugelmeier... the mood was light banter and very friendly. During the course of our hour sit-down, Ottawa Citizen writers Gay Cook and Rod Phillips, stopped by the say hi to the two chefs. It looked like it was a great day for Kurt, enjoying food & wine, surrounded by friends.

So sad... feels like just yesterday, can't believe he's gone.

2009 Apr 19
rest in peace friend

2009 Apr 19
He was a mench ( yiddish) for a good person. Helped me a lot when I first came to Canada. Both he and his wife raised a lot of money for the Humane Society of Ottawa. I had the pleasure of working with him as a volenteer at his annual fundraising party. I also mourn the loss of Jack Smith from Jack Smiths kosher catering who passed away on the eve of Passover, in a 2 week period we have lost 2 very respected men in the culinary world, may they both rest in peace.

2009 Apr 20
Cakelady - Jack's passing was sad too... I read about it in The Citizen, and having known the Smiths now for several years and having worked with them on various fundraisers, I can say "that is one H3LL of a family"... sad to see another go. Indeed Ottawa is a lot poorer for it... he's left behind some mighty "big" shoes to fill (pun intended).