Foodies on the Road - Argentina [General]

2009 Apr 19
I am headed to Argentina in two weeks and wondering if anyone has any foodie must do/see for BA and other cities..I ve heard about the steak and wine but anyone have any specific recommendations..I am trying to do this trip on somewhat of a budget but am willing to splurge a bit for quality..

info appreciated,

Thanks,

ps- ill be sure to post back here about food experiences after my trip!

2009 Apr 19
Sharif: Enjoy your trip, I am jealous of you - Argentina is definitely on my short list of places I'd like to visit soon.

From my conversations with Argentinians or people familiar with the country I gather the cuisine is heavily based on meat...even more so than here in Canada. A saying I have heard that I think best describes the attitude is: "In South America there are no vegetarians...we EAT vegetarians!"

The grass-fed beef is world-renowned. There are huge wine and ranching industries. Depending on the region, corn and potatoes are common staples.

The country has significant German, Italian and Spanish roots so a lot of the cuisine is regional variations on classic dishes from these traditions.

Two things that I have tried in what I was led to believe were authentic renditions was dulce de leche (a type of almost caramel made from reduced milk that is used in a lot desserts, fantastic) and locro, a heavy stew based on meat and corn, often with actual chunks of cob in the dish. It reminded me of a Latin American sancocho. I would also make sure to try a simple dish of beans and rice (arroz y frijoles) with a side of roasted or grilled chicken when in a Latin American country...you can't beat that!

Enjoy the trip, I look forward to hearing your reports...

2009 Apr 20
Let me get back to you. My sister was there last year and had a BLAST.

2009 Apr 21
Momomoto that would be great thanks!
looking forward to your post..

2009 Apr 21
tracinho thanks for the food review btw I will definitely give u guys a break down of my meals, and will even try to post from there if i have time.

2009 Apr 30
Bad news! My sister didn't remember any of the places where she ate, because she stumbled upon them quite at random. She did, however, suggest you seek out dulce de leche ice cream. It's fantastic.

Apart from that, I guess her suggestion is just to wander around aimlessly and you'll be bound to find something ;) Sorry I couldn't be more help!