Swap 'n' Shop [General]

2009 Apr 17
Following up on the matter in the SVdP thread, I created a "Swap 'n' Shop" page in the wiki. It is dirt simple : specify "username", "have" and "want"

2009 Apr 17
Zym - Cool gotta love the OF Wiki... sadly it is an often over-looked under-used resource.

I'll keep watching for new entries.

2009 Apr 17
I am not sure where to actually type in my username, have, want... once I signed in... a little help please....

I would like a used popcorn popper... will trade for some homemade Ciabatta....or some other yummy baking of person's choice.

2009 Apr 17
Well, you have to learn how a wiki works, FnT

If you go to this page : wiki.ottawafoodies.com

And hit "Edit This Page" and cannot figure it out, then hit "Cancel". There may be a tutorial that someone can point you to

2009 Apr 17
FoodnTravel - I know that using the Wiki the first time is confusing, so I'll give you some pointers.

1 - Click on the link Zym has provided, this will bring you the main page of the OF Swap n Shop Wiki

2 - Log In. Click on "log in" and fill in the boxes using your OF Member Name and Password

3 - This will bring you back to the Page in Question

4 - Hit "Edit this Page"

5 - Screen will go to the Editing Format

6 - Make Changes or Additions using the previous coding as reference

7 - Preview your Changes - Click on "Preview" and you'll be able to see what your changes will look like. Not happy, you can go back to the Editing Mode. Happy... Fill in the Edit Summary Box (ie FoodnTravel Additions)

8 - Hit Save... the additions are saved as the latest version

9 - Log Out... click on the "log out" button

Hope this is helpful.

Alternatively, you can always ask another OF Member who is Wikified to make the entries on your behalf.

2009 Apr 18
Thanks F&T. I hope I didn't mess it up. So once I have added you have to click to see the previous person's entry? If you had a minute would you mind having a look. I don't want to upset Z as he started this and I don't want his post to be ruined.

2009 Apr 18
Um, looks like you messed it up - you got rid of mine.

I'll fix it

2009 Apr 18
My apologies zymurgist... and thank you for fixing my mistake.

2009 Apr 18
FoodnTravel - I'm guessing your additions / changes went off the rails at point # 6.

6 - Make Changes or Additions using the previous coding as reference.

You use the previous coding just as a reference point on how to set up your entry (for a new item). If you were making changes to something already written, you'd have to ensure that the coding remained intact.

So in this example for the Shop 'n' Swap Wiki

The original entry for Zym was:

| *User* | *Have* | *Want* |
| zymurgy | 10" Paderno Frying Pan | Waffle Maker, or make me an offer |

You'll notice that the coding (fancy marks) set up the fact that it is a Table. The * coding here sets up the highlighted Table Heading (I've used just one star * here in the Forum example, there are actually two ** in the Wiki).

To make your addition, you needed to just replicate the coding a line below Zym:

| foodntravel | homemade ciabatta or other baking | Used popcorn popper for coffee roasting |

Over at the Travel Recommendations Wiki things are a wee bit more complicated... as there are different tables for different locations, and of course entries are Alphabetical by location. Which is why I prefaced the page by saying that anyone who was unsure of how to make an entry could always send the info to me, and I'd be glad to add it.

Hope this is helpful.

2009 Apr 18
Thanks for your help. You are absolutely correct as to where I went wrong. How do you get the straight up and down lines. I tried adding the ** and what I wanted to add, but didn't know if you add it right below where the previous entry is or down below in the larger white area. I feel like such a dufus but I am sure there are others who are having trouble too:)

2009 Apr 18
The pipe (as the straight up and down line is called) should be right above your ENTER key - shifted.

You could have done this :
- highlight my line
- copy (many different ways to dod this in Windows, if that is what you are using)
- go to end of my line with cursor, hit ENTER
- paste
- change my info to your info

2009 Apr 18
Geez, I looked all over the keyboard for the pipe... thanks Z again for the advice.

2009 Apr 18
FoodnTravel - Glad to be of help.

You should have seen me struggling when I first created the Travel Recommendations Wiki - LOL now that was sad. A whole lot of trial and error. It looks pretty good now, but there are still a ton of stuff I don't know how to do. At some point I am going to have to figure out some of the more complex functions, so that the Wiki will have room to expand overtime in a logical way.