Cupcakes [General]

2009 Apr 15
Finally an actual "cupcake" shop in Ottawa. Isobel's on Beechwood. Absolutely fabulous. A friend brought a dozen to Easter dinner the other night. They looked so good we were almost fighting over them.

I managed to get a chocolate with white icing…. But it wasn’t plain old vanilla icing it was a white chocolate butter crème with crème cheese…. OMG…. And the cake part so moist and flavorful.

Needless to say, I had to go check the place out.

1st thing I noticed as I drive up… the pink and white, so welcoming. Then…. The door was opened and the smell that lingered in the air, I’m not even sure how to describe… sweet, fragrant, yummy… that’s it, yummy.

In I went…. Décor, very classy, pink and brown and very clean and the people, professional and friendly and to see them pouring this fresh made lemon curd into the bowl for the cupcake’s, I’m not talking sheriff’s here, the real thing… lemon zest and lots of squeezing J

At first I thought… more than $2 for a cupcake then I used my brain…. Look at the place, look at the ingredients, all nature favors, look at the art… WELL WELL Worth it. Go to the supermarket and get one of their deserts and compare… you’ll be back on Isobel’s doorstep pretty quick.

I settled on the chocolate gonash, lemon, the lime coconut, of course the white chocolate chocolate etc….

I tried the lime coconut for myself last night, I’m not going to try to explain the favor, you have to try. I quickly grab the other one in the box and hid it from my family.

This brings me to the end of my very 1st blog entry…. I’ve just finished my “best hidden secret” lime coconut cupcake and freshly brewed coffee… I’m sitting here with a smile on my face, I used a fork… and it’s been licked clean (I can do that, I’m in the privacy of my own home) it was truly a breakfast of champions.

Til the next time – Welcome to Ottawa Isobel’s, I’m sure glad someone finally had the business sense to make this move to cupcake specially with a retail front!!! I’m not dissin’ the others who operate from home, I’m sure they are good… but to be able to go to New Edinburgh and get a coffee and a truly “gourmet” cupcake can’t be beat by having to order ahead….. wait…. Pick up or wait…. For delivery.

I can’t wait for my next celebration, I’ll be bringing cupcakes from Isobel’s, because there is no doubt in my mind everyone will walk away happy.

Sincerely,
Food Lover Ottawa

2009 Apr 15
Forget the text 4 the love of food?

2009 Apr 15
Sorry, new to this... but cakelady, please read my note, if you a really all about cake... I may change your mind and we'll be calling you "cupcake" next week :) Enjoy.

2009 Apr 15
Hmmm.. looking forward to some other reviews from you Food Aficionado.. Have you been to cupcake shops elsewhere (that you make your comparison?) I hear there are some interesting ones in the USA... Other than that, a good review, but you might want to try to make it sound less like an advertisement...

2009 Apr 15
Hi Pete-In-Ottawa

Good point to do the comparison thing... I've been to one other place in BC, it was ok... notice the lack of interest….

The cupcakes were huge!!! Much like the massive muffins you can get at Costco. The kids got excited… me… not so much. & I remember the sprinkles…. And more sprinkles and thinking my little one is going to take an hour to eat this thing because he picks them off - - - one - - - by - - - one.

It left little impression with me… sorry but not even a name to share.

As for the advertisement comment, point taken, but if you follow me… I am quite expressive, not to mention informative, creative… and sometimes, down right funny… emphasis on the “down” and of course, interesting as in a pied piper sort of way… we’ll have to see. I welcome you to follow me on this blog journey.

Next… a restaurant… which one… stay tuned…

2009 Apr 15
Hi there, is this the same Isobel who makes those pretty sugar cookies? Beautifully decorated in seasonal designs, they used to be sold in many Ottawa gourmet shops (maybe they still are, I just haven't noticed)

2009 Apr 15
Yes, she now has a store front. I've yet to get to that part of the city to try the cupcakes, although I have seen them at The Ottawa Bagel Shop. Her cookies are quite lovely (albeit expensive) so I'm looking forward to trying the cupcakes and anything else on offer while there. I do understand that she only uses quality ingredients so I can see the price but only as a big treat for me.

2009 Apr 15
isobel's has also had some success selling her mini iced sugar cookies in bags to Williams-Sonoma, which is quite a success story for an ottawa vendor. it's great to see her in new digs from their commercial kitchen out off hunt club. here cookies aren't cheap, you're right gardener mom, but they are scrumptious and make a great small gift. i look forward to trying her cupcakes. It will be less expensive to go to my favourite - Petit Gateau on Mont Royal on the plateau. mmmmm!

2009 Apr 16
FA's post made me head on down to Isobel's this morning. I am looking for cupcakes for a special birthday coming up in May and nothing but the best will do. (I should add though that price matters somewhat as I need 4 dozen).

Isobel's has a delightful array of lovely cupcakes. They are all the one size and I would say these are "medium". Not too big, not too small. I bought three cupcakes here (but gave the Chocolate Ganache one to an ailing neighbor).

The Lemon Curd cupcake is a little beauty. It has a light textured cake and then a sweet surprise dollop of lemon curd on the inside. The icing is softly whipped and buttery and doesn't compete with the lemony interior. The Chocolate Orange Cupcake is similarly very nice. The chocolate interior is moist and rich tasting and the orange "curd" on the inside is not too sweet. I have a Lemon Raspberry Cupcake that awaits....it is very pretty to look at with a pale pink icing that is not in any way gaudy.

I then headed to Three Bakers and a Bike. They also sell cupcakes but there is less choice. The Vanilla Cupcake is very good-a moist cake with a rich butter cream icing that they make themselves. The Chocolate cupcake apparently has a commercial icing on it. Unfortuately I did not taste this (since I gave it to the same neighbor). These cupcakes are considerably less expensive than Isobels but are also not as whimsical to look at.

2009 Apr 16
Haughty Sauciness - Sounds delish... I so need to get my hands on a tasty cupcake... it has been way too long... not a big fan of lemon, but the chocolate orange sounds intriguing.

In case you haven't already, you should add these comments to the Review Section for each Vendor. They will have more relevance and longevity there.

2009 Apr 16
Haughty Sauciness thanks for the reminder. We got cupcakes last week from 3BB&aB...I will definitely throw my two sense into the reviews