influences in canadian cuisine? [General]

2009 Apr 6
so here's the thing, i'm doing a big project at school about the evolution of food. I need to do a essay and do a 45 minunte presentation. I kind of know a lot about food , so i feel comfterble with the subject.

But i wanna know what type of cuisine do canada have? What countries influenced our cuisine. But mainly what do you guys feel on the subject, do we have a cuisine that stands out in the food world?

thx alot if you help me with this project?

2009 Apr 6
We discussed this last fall - check out this thread :

ottawafoodies.com/forum/1333

2009 Apr 6
Maize - Sounds like an interesting project... that said, as a Mom, I believe that although this is a “creative” way to get info it is not in my mind something that should be supported without yourself doing much of the heavy-lifting (called conventional research).

That said, I am willing to point you in the direction of a Ottawa Foodie Forum Topic where we all had an interesting discussion not to long ago... Canadian Cuisine - www.ottawafoodies.com

Remember, to be “above board” with anything you quote from Ottawa Foodies (or the Internet for that matter) statements should be referenced in your bibliography and the info should appear in quotes.

2009 Apr 6
... and never use a reflexive pronoun in a non-reflexive context (cough,cough) more grammar police F&T (cough)

:-P

2009 Apr 6
LOL

Zym - You should get that cough looked at
;-)

2009 Apr 6
Maize as a foodie and Canadian studies/ History student, I feel that this is a marvelous question, full of lots of opportunity to explore what Canadian culture is. I'm sure you've talked in your class about regionalism in Canada (that Quebec is different from BC and how Toronto is different from Halifax), and I think that's something that you could speak to in your report.

Also, I would look at Douglas Coupland's Souvenir of Canada, which talks a bit about Canadian food stereotypes.

2009 Apr 6
interesting suggestion on Douglas Coupland, LWB. I'm gonna look at this myself.

my take on this would be that "conventional research" is useful (and, i guess, necessary) ammunition. Book knowledge is good and all. But nothing tarts up a project / bibliography more than "primary research". Given your "professional" interests and the fact you like to ask questions :-) ... perhaps you might see if you can arrange something like a site-visit or interview w/ a couple selected chefs in town who, in one way or another, are involved in the ongoing "evolution of food"?

You need a bit of focus: don't waste busy peoples' time. So, if you were to do something like this, at the very least, come up w/ a basic script or set of questions that relate to your general theme.

I suggested in your sushi / sashimi thread you think about taking a day off to partake, and now you might have even more reason to do something like this. You're too young to drink (right?), but maybe you could buy a chef a beer (or whatever) in exchange for conversation. The people who work professionally w/ food on a daily basis may help broaden your perspective and also give you whole new sets of questions to think about (and raise in your report).

2009 Apr 7
Couldn't agree more with itchy feet, and to that I would add that you try and talk with a variety of chefs, or sous-chefs for that matter, even if you only have the chance to ask them say one or two questions.

I would consider the "What makes your menu fit into the Canadian scope of cuisine" to be a good starting point. Or, historicizing it if you talk with people who run sugar shacks or say someone at Sweetgrass, which specializes in Aboriginal cuisine.

Don't limit it *just* to restauranteurs, but also look at farmers, butchers, and others in the great food chain of Canada. A good starting point may even be to call the City of Ottawa and find out what they look for when issuing licenses to vendors in the Parkdale and Byward Markets. Or, speak to business owners who have been around for ages, such as Pat Nicastro at La Bottega. Sure, his products are largely Italian, but I think if you were to speak with him, you could see that because of the long historical tradition of the Nicastro family in Ottawa, there have been changes over time and they have had to strive to meet a changing Canadian culture, which really is what the crux of your paper/presentation is about.

What class is this for anyway? I don't remember anything nearly this interesting in high school!

2009 Apr 7
Maybe do a bit on how chefs are trained in Canada. Look at the curriculum of a few different programs and find the common requirements.

I trained at Niagara College and the majority of classes focused on classical French cooking. If you'd like to ask a chef some questions about this or any of the other suggestions above you are welcome to email me. nikola@MyChefAtHome.ca