Lowney's Peanut Butter Cups [Food/Vendor]

2009 Apr 6
My significant other and his sister have been debating for months now over how many Lowney's peanut butter cups came in a package, back before Hershey's bought them out. He says three, because he figures when they came to Canada that was when Reese's added a third into their package, but she believes it was only two.

Naturally, at 3 in the morning, there's nothing greater with which I can concern myself (actually, I'm procrastinating on a school assignment). Anyway, does anyone remember exactly how many there were, perhaps? All I can find on the interwebs is that John Cleese starred in a Lowney's commercial (but can't find the commercial itself).

Thanks!

2009 Apr 6
Way back when I was a kid in the 70s there were 2 peanut butter cups. No idea who owned the company at that time. Actually I don't ever recall Lowney owning it. The TV commercials were always Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I still have the jingle in my head. I recall when they changed name from Reese's to just Reese

2009 Apr 6
Lady Who Brunches - The internet is indeed a wonderful thing (I could do Internet Research all day long, it is just that fascinating! --- Anybody know how I could turn this into a part-time job?)

I plunked into GOOGLE "peanut butter cups 1970s" and came up with a link to one of those 1970s commercials, along with (surprise-surprise) and entry for Wikipedia.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese's - Which states that this famous candy was invented in 1928 by a dairy farmer come shipping foreman for the Hershey Co. It wasn't until 1963 that Hershey & Reese's merged.

Wiki also states that the cups have been sold in 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 packs in the USA. In Canada they came in 3 packs (and kingsized 4s). In the UK they came in 2 packs and later in 3 packs imported from Canada.

I didn't click all the way thru the links, but I take it that the aforementioned info comes from the Hershey Archives for which a link is referenced at the bottom of the Wiki page.

Aside - I too thought they came in 2 packs (as that was what I recalled) but it could be just the fact that as Canadians we are so familiar with the US Ads and travel there often enough.

The Wiki page also has info on those 1970s commericials "You got peanut butter in my chocolate, you got chocolate in my peanut butter"... and there is a link for that commercial on You-Tube at the bottom of the Wiki entry.

Anways, the conclusion... Everyone is right. LOL

PS... The photo I used I found on the Website for the American Sweets Co. UK, this illustrates when the UK started importing from Canada and hence the pack went from 2 cups to 3.

2009 Apr 6
I still think they came in 2's in Canada. Wikipedia is great, but it is not always right. Will have to test my google fu :-)

EDIT: the wikipedia page says in Canada the COME in 3's. It does not mention how they CAME in the 70s. It also says that in Canada the name "Reese" is used, and I distinctly recall a change from "Reese's" to "Reese" (and didn't they change back again?)

And there is no mention of Lowney

2009 Apr 6
Two per pack is my recollection as well.

2009 Apr 6
I also remember the two-pack here and the single pack which appeared at Halloween. All of those singles would be taken away by my mother for "inspection" ...never to be seen again.