Pad Thai [General]

2009 Mar 31
Does anyone have a killer Pad Thai recipe? I have tried two now and just haven't been satisfied. (I'm also new to Thai cooking so the problem could be me!) My favorite Pad Thai is the one served at the Siam Kitchen on Bank--it's full of flavour and is nicely sauced but not overly so.

2009 Apr 1
ottawafoodies.com/forum/861

Captain Caper has a copy of Savana Cafe's pad thai, which is pretty flavourful and suaced (though I find it a tad sweet). I haven't had Siam's, so I'm not sure how it is sauced..

2009 Apr 1
If you want less sweet, less saucy, use tamarind paste diluted in water, or tamarind sauce with some minced preserved turnip. Another good recipe to follow is this: www.thaitable.com

That is the one I base my recipe from.

2009 Apr 1
Thanks for the suggestions. I did use tamarind paste--but I think the issue was more in the proportions of noodle to sauce. The preserved turnip sounds interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks all.

2009 Apr 2
Pad Thai is one of those simple but tricky dishes--hard to get all of the flavours in balance consistently. My "tricks":

1) I usually use chicken, which I marinate in fish sauce, corn starch, and Shaoxing wine for 30 minutes, then stir fry for the Pad Thai.

2) My secret ingredient is powdered dry shrimp, maybe 1.5 tsp per serving added at the very end: Small, whole dried shrimps are of course traditional in Pad Thai, but I don't fancy their texture. The powdered ones add the flavour without the texture.

3) I like including a bit of pickled mustard greens (traditional, as I understand it). Same idea as the pickled turnip.

4) I used LOTS of tamarind paste. Soak a lump of pulp the size of a golf ball per serving.

5) The most common flaws I find in commercial versions are A) too sweet and B) too saucy. Ick.

2009 Apr 2
Ye gods--powedered dry shrimp! Never heard of such a thing. Where to find, where to find??

2009 Apr 2
HS, you can easily make your own
buy the dried shrimp in chinatown or Grace
dry roast them then pulse them in a clean coffee grinder
neat trick eh?
you can do it with dried wild mushrooms such as porcinis and dust your fave food with it before cooking

2009 Apr 3
Very interesting. Must try. I think all the people on this site are WAAAAAY more experienced/clever cooks than I am.

2009 Apr 4
You can also get powdered/ground dry shrimp at many Asian markets, saving a bit of trouble. I get them at Maniphat on Somerset.

The owner there did say that the non-powdered ones were better quality, though, so maybe Chef Obi's efforts are worthwhile.

One other tip for Pad Thai--I use a lot of oil for sauteing the noodles--probably about 2 or even 3 TB per serving. Without that much oil, the dish ends up being soupy and the noodles are mushy.

2009 Apr 7
Hey! Look what I found:
chezpim.typepad.com

2009 Apr 8
PULLLLLLEEEEASE tell me where I can buy tamarind paste in Ottawa!!! I have been highly unsuccessful in my search. When I make pad thai, the sauce is a mixture of peanut butter, lime juice, ketchup, honey and whatever else I manage to put in trying so desparately to make it edible and taste as it should.

Thx a million!

2009 Apr 8
The chezpim instructions are really good - pretty much the way we make it at home. One of the better points, which I don't think was mentioned previously - cook 1 serving at a time. At home I can't usually use a wok, because of my stinking flat top stove, but we use a really big heavy frying pan (cast iron would be perfect) and get it hot. Not skimping on the oil helps a lot. If the pan isn't hot enough, seasoned enough, or you try to do too big a serving, everything gets clumpy and gross.

For Tamarind sources - I think every Asian grocery has it in a brick. You have to soak it and strain it.

2009 Apr 8
You can buy tamarind sauce & tamarind concentrate at most Indian food stores (Vaishali on Carling definitely has it)

2009 Apr 8
also tamarind paste, sometimes juice and concentrate can be found at Grace on Bank and in Chinatown (Kowloon, WaKiu, Manphong, Lim Bankock) and Uni on Montreal Road

2009 Apr 8
Have experimented with the many incarnations of tamarind and am convinced that making your own paste from the tamarind pulp bricks results in the best flavour. I have even used the fresh pods but they don't seem as flavourful as the prepared pulp bricks.

2009 Apr 8
markO...you are correct
best tamarind flavour comes from the blocks/paste

2009 Apr 9
Totally OT - those blocks of tamarind make wicked agua de tamarindo. I love tamarindo!

2009 Apr 11
Did someone say shrimp paste ?

Here it is in solid brick form

It's all real shrimp flavour and salt !

I use it in Pad Thai, a well as, stir-fries with oyster sauce (and peanuts from The Sudan) and seafood chowder. Quite versatile and a little goes a;omg way.

Powerful stuff ... when ya smell it. It mellos when cooked,

2010 Apr 21
the new york times has a recipe for pad thai that i thought i would try. i have a question though, it calls for tamarind paste, but doesn't say anything about straining it. what do you suggest i do? it puts the paste, honey, fish sauce and vinegar directly in a pan and heat. what about the seeds and pulpy bits in the tamarind paste?

here is the recipe (i'll be using tofu instead of shrimp).

Pad Thai
Time: 25 minutes

4 ounces fettuccine-width rice stick noodles
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup tamarind paste
1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 eggs
1 small head Napa cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1/2 pound peeled shrimp, pressed tofu or a combination
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 limes, quartered.

1. Put noodles in a large bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let sit until noodles are just tender; check every 5 minutes or so to make sure they do not get too soft. Drain, drizzle with one tablespoon peanut oil to keep from sticking and set aside. Meanwhile, put tamarind paste, fish sauce, honey and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and bring just to a simmer. Stir in red pepper flakes and set aside.

2. Put remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when oil shimmers, add scallions and garlic and cook for about a minute. Add eggs to pan; once they begin to set, scramble them until just done. Add cabbage and bean sprouts and continue to cook until cabbage begins to wilt, then add shrimp or tofu (or both).

3. When shrimp begin to turn pink and tofu begins to brown, add drained noodles to pan along with sauce. Toss everything together to coat with tamarind sauce and combine well. When noodles are warmed through, serve, sprinkling each dish with peanuts and garnishing with cilantro and lime wedges.

Yield: 4 servings.

2010 Apr 21
The package with the seeds is not tamarind paste - it is just tamarind. The paste is the pulpy stuff surrounding the seed and then smoothed to a paste

2010 Apr 21
thanks KMD. i haven't bought it before, so it is good to know there is a difference.

2010 Apr 21
I soak a nice gob of the paste/seed mixture in boiling hot water (to cover) for about 30 minutes, mush it around to get the pulp off the seeds, and strain it.

I love tamarind...I always make some extra so I can slurp some up.

2010 Apr 22
M_O has got it right, soak the tamarind, mush it, strain it - then add it with the other ingredients. Just a note on that recipe, I would substitute brown sugar for the honey - or better yet palm sugar if you can get some. Let us know if it turned out ok.

2010 Apr 22
now, i am getting confused. friday am, i'll be in china town and can stop and pick up the tamarind. will it be a paste (seed free) or a block (with seeds) that i will find? if it is a block, i know to soak and strain. will i then use 1/4 cup of the strained mix? will it be really watery, or thick and pastey?

in my mind, i am going to walk into the store and see both types and easily find a tamarind paste and measure out a 1/4 cup and use straight away - no soaking or straining.

interesting about using brown sugar for the honey. why the substitution?

2010 Apr 22
This may post twice - technical difficulties.

Q1. - 1/4 of strained mix, it will be watery. I'm not sure why they heat it together with the other ingredients, I've never done this or seen it done, but hey why not try something different. 1/4 cup of straight up paste will be very strong. (lots of fibre!). Check the previous link from Poutine to get an idea of the ratios of ingredients.

Q2. In thailand they use palm sugar for sweetening. A reasonable alternative is brown sugar, although you can probably pick up palm sugar in chinatown. Honey may work ok, its not traditional, and depending if you have more buckwheat or clover or whatever the flavor varies wildly.

2010 May 2
finally getting around to making this tonight. i was at T & T on friday and had a hard time finding tamarind in any form. i asked someone stocking shelves and they weren't sure what it was, so they asked someone, who asked someone else. finally after 3 workers, plus myself scouring the shelves we found a bottle of tamarind concentrate.

google tells me that tamarind concentrate is also called tamarind paste. at any rate, i will try it and report back. i will combine this easy recipe with chez pim recipe and instructions.