The best real Italian restaurant? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Feb 5
Hi all,
I'm struggling to find a nice restaurant for an intimate S. Valentine dinner with my girlfriend. I like the atmosphere of the Italian restaurants but I have never tryed any Italian restaurant here in Ottawa yet. Could anybody help me?

P.S. (I'll appreciate any suggestion about the best wine lists since she's a wine lover!)

2007 Feb 5
I'm not sure if they are the best in the city, but I can say I met my wife at Biagio's and proposed to her after a meal at Mama Grazzi's, so at least there's a romantic connection there. :-) The food is essentially the same (and tasty) at both restaurants. Mamma Grazzi's (Mamma Grazzi's Kitchen) has a more bustling atmosphere, while Biagio's (Biagio's Italian Kitchen) is quieter.

2007 Feb 5
For a romantic dinner, I'd say that Mama Teresa's on Somerset and Roma on Preston would be pretty good bets. They're both slightly upscale and have decent wine lists. Mama Teresa's tends to have a little more of a business/politico crowd, but I don't think that will apply on the 14th.

2007 Feb 5
I personally like Il Piccolino on Preston, however the things I like about it may be drawbacks for you, especially if you're looking to have a special-fancy Valentine's date:

- It's not SUPER fancy like some of the other places on Preston, a little more casual, so I don't feel like me or my date have to be super dressed up (my boyfriend hates jackets and ties and prefers just a casual dress shirt instead, so this is perfect for our dates).

- It's REALLY small. Some people may equate this with "squished", but I personally find it to be cozy and quaint instead.

2007 Feb 5
Pleeease - not mama theresa. the food is very unspectacular. it rides on a reputation that may have been valid 10 years ago but the food - atmosphere - and service don't hold up today.

2007 Feb 6
I enjoy Flying Piggy's on Bank! I love their homade pastas. Here's the link www.flyingpiggys.com/.

2007 Feb 6
My absolute favourite where we go every year for Valentines is Bella's Bistro on the corner of Richmond and Island Park.

It's in an older house. Almost everything is made fresh on the premises and the service is efficient and unobtrusive. They have a signature meal of loster raviloi with a roasted red pepper sauce that I have everytime.

Nice romantic atmosphere for valentines day :)

www.bellas.ca/

2007 Feb 6
My two favourite Italian restaurants are both on Preston. Each has a very different atmosphere.

For a more formal, romantic meal, you could try La Roma. Very reasonable prices, though I can't say anything about their wine menu, as I've never tried anything from it. Nice service, lovely atmosphere and attractive decor.

For something more casual, but really unique, I love Pub Italia, just two or three doors north of La Roma on the same side. Wonderful decor, great beer selection and very good pasta.

You better make your reservations soon!! Let us know where you end up going and give us a review!

2007 Feb 6
Sorry, but I hve to disagree on the food at Bar Italia. Great beer selection, I agree, extensive wines too, sure - yes, but food? No. Not special. No. Don't.

2007 Feb 7
I agree with 'FOOD', that Pub Italia is not very special for food. I even think the food today is not as good as 3 or 4 years ago. I also agree with her evaluation of Il Piccolino... it's a sweet spot. I've also had good luck ( but totally not recently ) with Trattoria Caffe Italia (www.trattoriaitalia.com/) also on Preston.

2007 Feb 7
Hi all,

this topic seems very interesting. Well..... there are a lot of choices. Many of these restaurants offer also special menus for S. Valentines as I can see. About il "Piccolino": I tried to book a table there some months ago but it was full. "Food Is Hot" is right: sometimes this restaurant is "squished", but it looks very picturesque!
Probably Trattoria Italia offers one of the best Italian wine list here in Ottawa.
Anyway.....I'll make a reservation soon (since my girlfriend's pressure for S. Valentine is growing), and I'll let you know where I'll go!

P.S.( Did anybody ever try Fratelli or Vittoria restaurants??)

2007 Feb 7
I've had excellent experience with Fratelli, both the Bank St, and Westboro locations. To be honest I've only had lunch there (several times) but I did order from the full menu when a veal dish caught my eye. Great Food, and great staff.

2007 Feb 7
I've been to Vittoria Trattoria on Riverside once, but didn't order from the menu: it was an event where the organizers had booked the entire restaurant and we ordered from a table d'hôte. I have no idea what things normally cost, since I wasn't paying.

That being said, my experience there was very positive overall: my salad was fresh with a nice amount of tasty vinaigrette, my steak was well prepared and cooked to my request (how do you say that? I ordered medium-rare and it came medium-rare?), and I don't remember what I had for dessert--tiramisu?--but I remember I liked it (then again I'm a cheap date when it comes to dessert and I'd had many glasses of wine at that point, so who knows).

The service left nothing to be desired. The space is surprisingly nice and "urban" for that part of town. The wine cellar is very impressive, visually: it's right there on the main floor behind plexiglass. Makes you drool just sitting next to it.

I'd certainly go back, and the five other people at our table seemed to enjoy themselves as well.

2007 Feb 7
Speaking of Pub Italia...I went a few weeks ago and tried the spinach salad that was recommended on this site, and I got violently ill.

I love the place - the atmosphere and all, but I will never ever eat there again. Boooo