True Loaf Bread Company [Food/Vendor]

2009 Mar 14
At 573 Gladstone Ave right next to the Red Apron and Blue Nile

The Ottawa Citizen article that ran this week I can accurately say has whipped up a frenzy in the Grey Beards of Ottawa. Line ups are queuing politely to perilously spilling out the door every time I've gone.

The first day they sold out, the second day they sold out, As of 9:30 this Satuday morning they are well on their way to a sell out.

They have Fougasse which I keep hoping to try, but it's consistently sold out so I can't even tell you if they have a plain Olive one (sans anchovies *phew*)or even if it's any good, as all I have seen thus far is a sign.

So what have I tried, the baguettes are quite good, the kamut baguette is sitting cooling on my counter and the "seed bread" is so hearty that after trying it with a homemade squash soup yesterday I made it through one and a half pieces and then felt gorged.

So are they good?

What I've managed to get so far has been very good and fresh as fresh comes bread; but not so spectacular that I've forgotten the great dinner rolls available down on Preston, or buns from the phenomenal Portuguese Bakery on Nelson Street.

The Seed Bread was great and very filling. The Baguettes which is how I judge a bakery are....... 'very good' but not so great that I'll never look elsewhere.

I'm hoping to get a crack at their Sourdough sometime soon but when I've gone there have only been these enormous $12 loafs that resemble a seat for a small child more than bread.