Twitter [General]

2009 Mar 13
Since a handful of us are on Twitter, would there be merit in creating a Twitter group for OF? I know right now I'm following Momomoto, Pam and Fresh Foodie (as of 11:54). I'm sure there are many more of you...

2009 Mar 14
I could be convinced to throw a hashtag or two around. Anybody interested can follow me @ my name (not saying momomoto should confuse spambots, yes?)

2009 Mar 14
I'm pfqrst and I don't know how to create a group :( (sounds like an Internetaholics anonymous confession!)

2009 Mar 14
Pam, if it makes you feel better, I've been on twitter for two years and didn't know there were groups! Other than of course using hash tags, or someone from a company or group creating an account and tweeting 'as that group'. Guess ya learn something new every day. :)

2009 Mar 16
we could use hashtags to track the ottawafoodies stuff
i created one already for ottawafoodies..so if you follow the steps on this link

www.wildapricot.com

and add the #ottawafoodies hash to applicable tweets ppl should be able to find them using things like tweety or twitterberry or tweetdeck or even by suscribing to the rss feed for that hashtag ( sorry that was alot of "or"s lol)

let me know if anyone needs help!

thanks,

2009 Mar 17
OK, can someone help me here? I just don't get Twitter. It's that status line in facebook with nothing else. So it's like facebook--. Or 1% of facebook.

What am I missing?

2009 Mar 17
It's a way of posting/broadcasting very small updates. Little things like "Had a pint of X from the Clocktower, unique and good". It's blogging on the go typically. I don't use it myself, but there are a ton of users.

2009 Mar 17
To tell you the truth, I didn't get Twitter at first either. But I find that's the case with most new technologies -- they just don't seem like anything new at first glance. When I first heard of RSS, I thought to myself, if people say it's like converting web-browsing into email then I'd rather not use it because I much prefer web browsing to reading email! But then I tried it and only after that could I appreciate its power...

Not to ignite a flame war here, but the same goes for Mac vs. Windows. It's hard to come up with convincing facts as to why MacOS is superior (aside from being Unix-based), but if you're like the majority of people who use both of them extensively you'll feel it in your bones.

That said, I'll take a stab at some convincing facts in support of Twitter. Facebook status lines are unappealing to me because they go to everyone I know. Tweets only go to people who *want* to hear what I have to say. Consequently, I feel more comfortable posting random thoughts on Twitter than I would on Facebook, and people are free to drop my Twitter feed if they find me shallow or annoying. Facebook only allows you to track statuses of people with whom you have a two-way relationship. Twitter allows you to listen in on anybody's tweets, including celebrities or others who have no interest in you. In geek terms, Facebook statuses require full-duplex intimacy while Twitter is more of a broadcast system.

They call Twitter "micro-blogging" and that's the most accurate description I can imagine. But zymurgist, I find the 140-character limit to be quite frustrating myself -- I think it would drive you crazy!! ;-)

2009 Mar 17
fwiw, here's what convinced me to turn a tiny bit of attention toward twitter: twitter.com/cwalken

2009 Mar 18
what???? so. following. mister. walken. thanks itchy feet

2009 Mar 19
Twitter's a pretty flexible medium, but some of the power of it is only really apparent if you're doing it from a mobile platform.

Once you've achieved a critical mass of people (I can't say how many this is, but I'm not sure I've reached it) Twitter becomes a real-time search engine. Like Instant Ottawa Foodies.

For example, I could send out a message saying "I'm in Toronto for the first time, the Harbourfront District. I’m thirsty, and at the corner of Church and Front. What pub should I go to?"

Great if you're doing this on a mobile phone; less-great if you're on your home computer, but still doable.

I quite enjoy the 140-character limit. It turns Twitter from Instant Messaging into Instant Poetry. The constrained medium does me well.

Also: twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH

It's awesome.

2009 Mar 19
Yeah, I think that's my basic problem - I don't have a cell phone so it's fairly limited for me.

2009 Mar 19
When I'm at home I just keep my Twitter application (Tweetdeck, www.tweetdeck.com) open at all times, over on the far edge of my screen, and watch the world go by.

It does have a bit of that news-aggregator, what-have-people-done-today feel to it when used in that fashion.

2009 Mar 19
Momomoto: I agree that is has a news aggregator feeling to it, but I've also seen it used for collecting people, like you mentioned. A friend of mine tweeted "I'm making nachoes. You want in, be here in thirty minutes with a bag of chips". And like twenty people randomly appeared at his door.

I've also seen Levar Burton ask for a good pub last time he was in Toronto via Twitter...

2009 Mar 19
Yeah, Toronto has a HUGE Twitter population. You meet all kinds of people that way. People here are also using it to get news out. There's two twitter accounts you can follow to get TTC (bus/streetcar/subway) closure and delay news, there's the mayor's twitter account, the chair of the TTC has an account, several news sources have accounts...

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and during the recent blackout here (in January, which shut down power to a huge chunk of the west end) Twitter was a huge way that people got information out about who had power restored, who didn't, who was offering a warm place for people to go, who had food to share if someone needed some, etc. Was great. :)

2009 Mar 19
Candice: That's so awesome. I long for the day when I can get OC Transpo and even general traffic updates through Twitter. (Who knows? Maybe such beasts already exist and I just wasn't aware!)

2009 Mar 20
I love twitter. I've been using it to help promote my program's fundraiser.

www.twitter.com/jessicaproulx

and I am also running the one for the fundraiser

www.twitter.com --- yes the "i" in little is supposed to be missing - you are only allowed 15 characters!

Its pretty handy to keep up with what some of the celebs are doing in a non-gossipy way. I have ashton kutcher on twitter, and he sometimes gives some pretty cool updates.

2010 Mar 28
I randomly found this today and thought it would be perfect to post here.

Twitter fans: "A Growing List of Ottawa Eateries on Twitter"

I didn't even know some of these were on Twitter - awesome.

www.foodieprints.com/item/1884