Canadian candy bars [General]

2009 Mar 13
I want to send some candy bars to a friend in South Carolina that she can't get there. I've already sent her a box of Smarties. What else do we have here that isn't available or is a better version than those in the USA?

2009 Mar 13
Coffee Crisp
Aero
Turkish Delight

2009 Mar 13
I think those are all down there now since Hershey bought out Rowntree (iirc)

Though not sure about turkish delight

2009 Mar 13
Tiana I know you suggested chocolate bars but if you want to send her something uniquely Canadian there is always maple candies. Or you could send her some locally made chocolates: ottawafoodies.com/tag/6

I have only tried the Rocky Mountain Chocolates so far but Koko Chocolates, Stubbe, and Truffle Treasures apparently make good chocolates as well.

And with tongue firmly in cheek there is always the "Obama cookie"-;)

2009 Mar 13
Tiana - I believe that the classic Crunchie bar still isn't widely available in the USA see www.en.wikipedia.org

I would think that the "sweetness" that is honeycomb toffee would be a big hit in most of the Southern States.

2009 Mar 13
Turkish delight? I believe it's called 'Big Turk'... hehehe

2009 Mar 13
A friend of mine in Chicago always asks me to send her Crispy Crunch!

2009 Mar 13
Aren't Mars products only available in Canada? Maybe a Mars bar?

2009 Mar 13
Definately agree with Crispy crunch.

2009 Mar 13
I believe Mr. Big is Canada only.

2009 Mar 13
The Captain's originally from the eastcoast, so here is a Canadian Candy Bar from that neck of the woods.

I have seen it at a number of places here in ottawa.

"PAL-O-MINE

Celebrate sweets north of the U.S. border with a Pal-O-Mine. From Ganong’s, this Canadian candy bar has been made the same way since 1920."

From St.Stephen NB

It's two little bars in one wrapper. Fudge with crushed peanuts on top then dark chocolate coated.

Not my fave bar ... but definetly Canadian and definetly unique.

2009 Mar 14
how bout MacKintosh Toffee?

2009 Mar 14
I'm safe in saying that Eatmore bars are a Canadian candy bar, a Lowney's original (I finally found a reference at www.hersheycanada.com), and a long-time fave of mine, so they would be one I'd send along Tiana. And for you or anyone who likes to cook I'll pass along my long-time homemade take on them:

Eatmore Bars

1 cup SS chocolate chips and 1 cup milk choc. chips (or 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips) (~300 g total)
3/4 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 cup corn syrup
2 Tbs molasses (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick cooking oats
1-3/4 cup peanuts, salted or not, chopped
2 Tbs finely chopped dried cherries (optional)

Very lightly butter a 9"x13" pan; set aside.

In a large pot, bring chocolate chips, peanut butter, corn syrup, and molasses (if using) slowly, I repeat, s-l-o-w-l-y, so as not to burn the chocolate, to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil 3 to 5 minutes (*see note) after the first bubbles materialize, stirring gently, constantly; remove from heat and stir in vanilla, mixing well. Add remaining ingredients and stir to coat. Scrape into prepared pan and spread evenly to corners. Very Important: when warm (not hot, not cold) cut into bars - 1"x2" or 1-1/2"x2-1/2" or so. Makes ~30 bars.

If bars harden before you cut them and you are unable to cut them, put them in a low temperature oven (I use 140F) for about 10 minutes to soften, and then cut them - fyi I use a steel dough scraper.

Note: These keep very well at room temperature - they’re just as good a week or two after they’re made as the day after; they’re high energy and great for camping, hiking or cottaging. If you cook them about 4 to 5 minutes they’ll be more like store-bought Eatmore bars, ie chewier. I usually make them with milk and semisweet chocolates because I like the flavours better. I’ve recently started making tham with milk chocolate and chopped 70% bittersweet chocolate bars for a bit more chocolate flavour, a minor indulgence. The molasses is optional ‘cause I always thought Eatmores had molasses in them (turns out they don’t, but they do have dried cherries in them). The hot mixture spreads more easily in the pan if you use a clean rubber spatula/scraper, coated with a little butter, to spread it. Let sit a couple of hours if you can to let the flavours meld and the oats soften.

2009 Mar 14
I love fresh eatmore bars, and I used to be able to get those at the Hershey factory in Smiths Falls... such a shame. Mackintosh toffee is awesome too, but I have to be careful now when I eat it!

2009 Mar 14
lol@toffee reference
recently had some real salt water toffee from Nova Scotia (canna remember the name)
so damn addictive

this is a non-Canadian candy bar but it is by far my fave when I was a kid: U-no
and a non-Canadian candy I am addicted to is Hot Tamales
they have them at the Sugar Mountain on Elgin but I always walk by on the other side of the street and look the other way

2009 Mar 15
Yes chimi is correct, it's Big Turk. As you can see on the packaging it says "BIG TURK - Turkish Delight/Loukoum"...threw me off. Either way it's effin delicious (and low in fat? lol)

FYI gotta be careful what you look up in Google Images. Let's just say the query "big turk" yielded some...erm...interesting results

2009 Mar 16
Big Turks are one of those aquired tastes. My s.o. has always loved them and he brings them to the U.S. when travelling. (I like to buy turkish delight in turkish/lebanese spots in Toronto--softer texture, no chocolate, they are dusted in icing sugar, the texture is less dense and so is the colour.) He also brings smarties--they have M&M's only.

2009 Mar 16
Monty - did you Google Big Turk at work? I have a feeling it's not NSFW if you don't have the filter on.