New Brunch spot [Food/Vendor]

2009 Mar 10
For entirely selfish reasons I am trying to promote the Grand Central Deli at 1463 Merivale Road for their weekend brunch that starts at 9 a.m.. I have no ownership stake in the place but I really want it to do well for the simple reason that I love the brunch. In my experience it is totally unique for Ottawa. The decor is nice, upscale--but remember its in a strip mall on Merivale so there is only so much to expect. The brunch is great! They make their own smoked meat, new york style--so drier than montreal style and spiced differently. They are serving skillets, omelettes, traditional breakfasts. All table service. Portions are large--american style large. The food here reminds me of New Jersey--which for me is a very pleasant recollection. My kids love the cheese blintzes and different kinds of hot chocolate. So it you're a breakfast brunch person give this place a shot. I promoting it because I love the place and want it to be successful---so I may continue to go. The place that was in here before, One fish two fish, didn't last, so I'm hoping the location isn't a restaurant killer.

2009 Mar 10
MIKET - Here on Ottawa Foodies, I have a well established "reputation" (and one I've worked hard to achieve, LOL) as someone who hates SHILLing on this site.

That said, I have to say that from time to time, a NEWBIE comes to OF touting a spot and yet writes a promotional statement in such a way that it comes off right... You would be an example of that style. This post got me with your honest appeal for people to check out the Brunch at this fairly new Vendor because you don't want to see them disappear... that I understand and appreciate, knowing how often I've seen somewhere I like come and go. It sucks when a place one really likes (or a family favourite) goes under.

So, let's just say you've softened my usual stance...

I checked out the Vendor's OF entry Grand Central New York Deli - Grand Central New York Deli , and noticed that there is no indication for Breakfast items... so I will make sure that info gets added for you.

NOW... Don't let me down, and have this be the ONLY entry you make on Ottawa Foodies... I'd say that your passion for food came thru in this post, so I think you'd be a good addition to our community.... that and I'd hate for anyone to think I was favouring a "one hit wonder".

;-) *wink*

2009 Mar 10
Like F&T, I never knew that Grand Central had a brunch. One problem with that location is signage/visibility from the road, it's also surrounded with very reasonably priced competitors (Joey's, Nando's, Greek on Wheels, Bramasole, Shaan, Sushi Kan, Harvey's, Merivale Fish Market, Dick's, Lichee View, etc etc etc.) Something they might want to work on is making deli more affordable? Otherwise they are definitely a unique (and tasty, in my experience) addition to the area's dining options. I'll consider checking out their brunch, though I'm not a huge brunch guy.

2009 Mar 10
I like good brunches and good food i will check it out and see what it is all about

2009 Mar 11
On the topic of brunch, but off-topic of Grand Central...does anyone know the name of the new-ish brunching place just south of Sunnyside on Bank? A friend of mine mentioned it, saying that it was quite charming and very much my-style-of brunch (as opposed to her husband's). It was a woman's name, I believe....and might have had the word veranda, or something to that effect.

Nothing turns up on the search.

Thanks!

2009 Mar 11
lady who brunches It sounds like the restaurant you are referring to is Carmen's Veranda. I shop frequently in Old Ottawa South and have passed it many times. I haven't been in because I figured it was probably another gift shop since it is in the same building as Three Wild Women, Grace in the Kitchen, etc. However bok choy just reviewed it here: ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1395 . With all these new restaurants opening in Ottawa it looks like my entire entertainment budget for the year will be spent on eating out-;)

2009 Mar 11
Bingo! Thank you so very much Pasta Lover!

ETA: You're right on the name, but the link took me to Wasabi the first two times, before I search Carmen's Verandah and found the page. Then when I came back here to report on that, I checked the link again and it was fine. How very strange :S

2009 Mar 11
lady who brunches glad to be of service! Oddly enough I tried clicking on the link when I posted it and it worked. When you tried it took you to another vendor. Now when I try I got a message saying "invalid vendor id". Fresh Foodie are there gremlins in the computer leading us astray or did I do something wrong?...

2009 Mar 11
I wonder if it's the period after the link???

2009 Mar 11
LWB, yeah the period made the link unusable for me too. I just added a space now so the link will work in the future.

Pasta lover, I can't imagine how gremlins might have caused this although I would never be so bold as to rule them out completely. :-)

Wasabi has a vendor ID of 1040, which isn't even close to that of Carmen's (1395), so I'm stumped on that one too.

2009 Mar 11
The last vendor I visited before Carmen's was Wasabi. But, when it mistakenly came up wasabi, the address showed 1395. Auto-save of some sort, perhaps?

2009 Mar 11
Fresh Foodie Thanks so much for helping us out. I completely forgot not to put a period at the end of the link so it looks like I got a brain cramp again-;) And gremlins do all sorts of things to my computer - at least that's "my" side of the story-;)

2009 Mar 11
LWB, yep that explains it! The last vendor you visited is stored and will be retrieved if no valid ID number is specified in the URL. In this case, the ID number had a trailing period and was invalid. Mystery solved!

2009 Mar 11
I've commented on the GCNY Deli before (positively). I've been 4 or 5 times. My last visit, had it been my first, would have been my last (twisted, I know). But only because the service was terrible. It should never take 1 hour to be served brunch, and another hour to get the bills.

Anyway, MikeT is not exaggerating. The brunch is quite unique for the area, with an emphasis on meats and eggs (veggies beware). I had the smoked meat hash with poached eggs. Delish. Filling. All good stuff.

My SO had the challah french toast. Again very good.

My daughter had the cheese blintzes. Not surprising that GCNY would do these well.

As a discerning brunch-ist (is that a word? it should be), I would put this at a solid 8/10... FOR FOOD ONLY. There were at least 5 more items on the brunch menu I was dying to try. If only there were more Sundays in my week.....