Fresh Garlic in the winter [General]

2009 Mar 2
I am about to have a crisis on my hands... I am down to my last few precious garlic bulbs purchased at this years Garlic Festival (lol) and do not want to resort to having to use the old aged stuff found at local grocery stores. Any idea where I can by local garlic in the middle of the winter?

2009 Mar 2
From Da Rock - I feel for ya... unfortunately I don't have any leads... just another sad story.

We resorted to buying Grocery Store Garlic recently... it is absolutely awful. It doesn't last at all... I throw out more than I use.

So... if you find a local source, do let me know.

2009 Mar 2
You can find organic North American garlic at Herb & spice or Rainbow foods, it's pricier, but much better than the old, almost rotting Chinese crap you find at your standard grocery stores.

2009 Mar 3
herb and spice
also try the organic farmer's market people forget that it is open all year. it is on saturdays from 10 - 2. you could also email acorn creek or one of the other farms. i seem to recall that everyone at the ottawa farmer's market at landsdowne was sold out of garlic this year. it was a bad year for it with all the rain.

2009 Mar 5
Thanks for all the hints. I did email Acorn Creek but unfortunately no response. My search continues.

2009 Mar 6
Last year, I got some great garlic at the Wheat Berry when I was in a similar situation.

2009 Mar 7
Just got a message back from Acorn Creek... no garlic left :(

2009 Mar 10
Does anyone know when actual garlic will be available? I have been using the chinese crap all my cooking life and would adore some of the good locally grown garlic but I don't know where/when I would best be able to acquire it as I don't have a car myself.

2009 Mar 10
According to the Lansdowne farmers market website local garlic is in season from August to November: www.ottawafarmersmarket.ca

The only farmers market that I know of that is open year round is the organic farmers market in Ottawa South. I don't recall seeing any garlic on my last visit there a couple of weeks ago but there is a limited amount of locally produced organic veggies at the Terre à Terre stand since they grow veggies in a greenhouse during the winter. The market is located near Bank and Heron and there are quite a few busses that go to that area.

There is always the Lansdowne farmer market which will be opening in early May and the Main Street farmers market which will open later that month. There are a few busses that go to Lansdowne but Main St. may be a little trickier to get to by bus.

The city also opened a trial farmers market in Vanier last fall which was open every Saturday in September. It was set up in a parking lot either on Montreal Rd. or McArthur can't remember which but also accessible by bus. I didn't make it out there last year but I am hoping they will try opening a full season this year.

2009 Mar 10
Jagash - Here is a great topic from last summer... has a lot of info on when to buy Garlic (September or October is best) and correct and incorrect ways of storing it... "Garlic" - www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Mar 12
Thanks to both of you; I didn't know the lansdowne farmer's market website and that garlic topic is chock full of useful info. It's unfortunate that I will have to wait for a full year before I can get the good stuff, but that's the nature of life.

Yay Garlic!