What Beer are you drinking [General]

2009 Feb 28
Ok, Since wife is expecting (so am I!) she is off wine, and I'm too cheap to open a bottle for myself. But I love beer, and it comes in convenient half portion servings :) So I often stick to Stouts, pale ales, and bondes and reds from Quebec. But recently tried Maudite - which I've had before, but did not have any lingering memories of. This stuff is great this time of year. Its a strong ale, unfiltered, which leaves some of the nice yeasties in the bottle. I just love it, as its got some of the same great aromatics as a hefe weizen, (clove, banana ...) but with that winter warm kick.

Anyone else a beer they are favouring, or rediscovering these days?

2009 Mar 1
Congrats Sourdough!

I too really enjoy Maudite, but have a tiny preference for La Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles, also in the Unibroue line (available on the Ontario side).

Not encouraging you to open that bottle, but the Unibroues are among the only brew that i can drink before and after wine. Not too many other Sapporo beers i can say that about. :)

2009 Mar 1
While traveling in the USA, I found Hitachino beers: www.kodawari.cc Naturally, I brought some back with me and it's wonderful. I wish I could find it here.

Otherwise, I usually drink Kozel (Czech lager), Beau's lug tread (local lagered ale), Hacker-Pschorr Weiss (Bavarian wheat), Guinness (dry stout, not the extra stout), or Waterloo Dark (Brick Brewery shoutout, dark lager - yum).

2009 Mar 1
very cool find, Chimi. How far into the US?

And, not to turn this into why can't we buy that here thread ... but i was in New Orleans a yr post-Katrina and was amazed (maybe saddened, in several senses) to find a better selection of Unibroues than on the Ottawa side of the river. Sigh...

2009 Mar 1
That was... very far south, like, AZ ;) And yes, interesting to see how much variety of the Unibroue line you can find in the US (even found it as far as FL and AZ). Though, really good beer can be found easily in VT (Harpoon & Magic Hat, amongst many others).

2009 Mar 1
Yeah, I still can't get enough of Lug Tread. It's expensive, but I don't drink beer that often so it's worth it.

Caffrey's Cream Ale also has a soft spot in my beer dreams, but I usually try to get it in draught form rather than get the widgeted can.

2009 Mar 1
I'm not generally a fan of bottled beer but I do enjoy Wychwood's Hobgoblin Ale. More recently, I discovered the joys of Chimay Blue (Grande Réserve) which my sis-in-law in Belgium sent me for xmas (with the appropriate serving glass). This strong (9%) beer is available locally at the SAQ and has a lovely complexity. The LCBO appears to carry only one of the other brews (7%), although the Blue is likely part of their 3x330mL gift pack.

For canned beers, I'm particularly fond of Caffrey's (cheers Momomoto), Kilkenny, and Tetley's Bitter. And yes, they're all much better in draught form when available! I tried Beau's Lug Tread from the LCBO and didn't enjoy it that much. I hope to try the draught version one day.

A beer I absolutely love from a tap is Rickard's Red but I abhor it from a bottle or can, go figure. My all-time favourite restaurant beer is the Belgian "De Koninck," available locally at Pub Italia.

2009 Mar 1
Not a Beer Drinker myself...

But "The Man" is like Momomoto since discovering Beau's Lugtread it is the ale of choice (both when we go out, and in the beer fridge). That said, from time to time he likes to switch it up... particularly so in the summertime (BBQ Season) by trying a lot of intesting imports that the LCBO carries (The World of Beer).... doesn't do that so much in the Winter.

We spent Christmas in the USA so we brought back a couple of cases of American Beer... the most popular being the Yuengling out of Pennsylvania... always a good choice, better this trip as we discovered they also have a Brewery in Tampa, Florida... therefore was on-tap pretty much throughout the entire state.

2009 Mar 1
I'm a big fan of the Dieu du Ciel brewery and regularly load up across the river. I currently have some Corne du diable (an IPA) and Rosée d'hibiscus. I like pretty much everything that they make.

Also a big fan of hoppy American IPAs. The LCBO has been improving the availability of those and I have a cache of Southern Tier IPA (from New York state) that I'm going through. The Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Brutal Bitter, and the Dogfish Head Ale are also often found in my fridge.

As far as Ontario beer goes, I'm partial to Beau's (glad to hear Bog Water is back, will have to take a drive out to the 'Hill) and most of what Mill Street produces (except Stock Ale).

I have a few Pumphouse Blueberry Ales (from New Brunswick) left from when the LCBO carried them recently. I hope they carry more Pumphouse this summer.

2009 Mar 2
I don't drink much other than my own, but the odd time I do, I stick with local Ontario Micros. I'd buy Beau's more often if it weren't so expensive in those big fancy bottles. I buy a lot of Brick - I liked their beer so much I bought the company! Well, bought a bunch of shares in it. Which have since takned to about 1/5 their value :-( Oh well, who needs money anyway? But their beers are still fantastic - I especially like the JR Brickman signature line - the Pilsener. And Waterloo Dark - which no longer shows up under the Brick label but shows as being brewed by "The Waterloo Brewing COmpany". Which is a wholey owned subsidiary and actually just another name for "Brick".

Wellington makes fabulous British Style Ales.

Steamwhistle is fantastic. They bill it a Pils but it's more of a "Classic American Pilsener" (CAP) - a revived style of beer which originates from when German brewmasters first immigrated to the USA in the 1800s and started experimenting with a bit of corn in their beers.

Neustadt for an excellent German style Pils.

2009 Mar 2
I try my best to drink Canadian beers most of the time and my favourites are Creemore Springs for an ale and Steamwhistle for a pilsner, with Mill Street Tankhouse, Maudite and Boreal Rousse rounding out my national favourites.

RE: Foreign beers I am partial to fresh Lowenbrau, unfortunately it is often a little bit stale by the time it gets to Canada. Another foreign favourite is Smithwicks....

2009 Mar 2
"Creemore Springs for an ale "

Gawsh that phrase is sad (as in "brings a tear to my eye"). Creemore used to be one of the most fantastic lagers you'd ever taste. But it has been slowly going down hill in the 12 years I've been drinking it - even before Molson bought them out a couple of years ago.

EDIT : it seems they still bill it as a lager (Pils), but last I tasted it 2 or 3 years ago it was far from it : www.creemoresprings.com

2009 Mar 2
Like Zy, I too have found the quality (and even style) of Creemore Springs Traditional Lager has slipped over time.

What is it with these folks ?

Is it a way to a larger profit margin by skimping on the ingredients : More corn less barley ? or cheaper hops and less (or no) Saaz hops ?

Or is it the marketing boys with their 'field research' saying customers want a more 'North American' tasting lager ?

Pity.

2009 Mar 2
^ FACT: the former owner/president of Creemore works for my company now covering the Food & Beverage industry. i've met him numerous times but was far too embarassed to chastise him re: selling out to Molson haha

2009 Mar 2
My mistake, I have confused standard Creemore as an ale before. I guess I think of it as a heavier beer, and I tend to associate that with ales. I tried Creemore's Pilsner and thought it was pretty good, I am not sure if it is available year around, but it has gotten good reviews from beer critics.

2009 Mar 2
Hitachino and Dieu du Ciel sound really interesting - I haven't tried either (and I'm guessing it will be a while before I could try the Hitachino). I think I'll have to make a trip across the river one of these days.

I have to say for ontario beers, one that I really enjoyed over summer was the Barley Days IPA. Barley Days is a craft brewer in Prince Edward County - it switched names a few years ago, the original brewery name escapes me for now, but they make a fine product.

The other go to Ontario brewery I like is Niagara - especially the Gridstone.

2009 Mar 2
One of my new fav's is Hockley Dark from Orangeville, ON. Really smooth dark ale, love it. Have yet to find it at a pub.
Also love Tankhouse from Millstreet. Very unique.
Have to agree with the Creemore comments. Use to be one of my favorites now I can't even drink it:( Nothing to it?!

2009 Mar 2
Millstreet, Hockley and Niagara are all awesome beers too which I buy from time to time!

2009 Mar 2
I've been drinking a lot of Kilkenny and Boddington's lately, yes draft is much better but the widgeted cans will have to do at home. Also drink a lot of Karlovačko, which is a Croatian lager that comes in nice big 500ml bottles!

2009 Mar 2
Zy I am kinda appalled that you are a fan of Steamwhistle. When I've had it, it's been hard to simply get past the smell. The corn stank gets to me. The taste is better, but not worth it if I have to smell it each sip!!

2009 Mar 2
Sourdough - PECounty's Barley Days Brewery before the Rogers bought it and transformed it (as well as a whole lot of other spots in PECounty) was Glenora Springs Brewery.

2009 Mar 2
Right now I'm drinking a bottle of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. I realize this isn't exactly local, but it's darn tasty!

Other beers that have filled our home (or have been poured for us on tap) recently:

- Millstreet Tankhouse
- Granite Brewery's Peculiar and Best Bitter - we've also tried to get the Hopping Mad, but they're always out. :p
- Up until a few weeks ago, my favourite pub still had Grand River's Jubilation Ale. Sadly, it's done for the season.
- Denison's Weissbier
- Husband gets Durham Hop Head a LOT. It's a bit too hoppy for me
- Scotch Irish - Porter and the Bitter. Sometimes the IPA.

We buy a lot of beer around here. heh!

2009 Mar 2
Just bought Nektar (Bosnian beer), and Cobra (from India), both were very good - Cobra reminded me a bit of Tusker, which is also another one of my int'l favs.

Speaking of Creemore, I can't help but to agree, the quality has declined over the years to undrinkable. Good call on Wellington beers, I visited the brewery last summer and was impressed.

Steamwhistle is only good when a) very cold b) extremely fresh from draught, I've only had skanky smelling bottles of it. Maybe bad luck?!

2009 Mar 2
I believe the skanky smell in the Steamwhistle may be "cooked vegetable" or "cooked cabbage", which is something I've often tasted in it. A certain amount of this is actually part of the flavour profile of this style of beer, but certainly not overdone.

From John Palmer's "How to Brew" (one of the few online resources better than mine) :

www.howtobrew.com

"Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of beer will perpetuate the problem."

2009 Mar 2
LOL, since this post went up, and the discussion regarding Creemore as now being owned by Molson's... "The Man" is disgusted... I think he may have just sworn off Creemore (a long time favourite) just out of principle. Too funny!

2009 Mar 2
They bought it in 2005!

Can't blame the owner for selling - they were getting pretty big and his timing was great given M&A market activity is at a complete standstill right now.

2009 Mar 3
Fuller's London Porter
Caffrey's
Chimay (Red) from LCBO
Westmalle Dubbel or Tripel

2009 Mar 3

YANKEE JIM ICE ... my favorite recession swill.

BULL MAX + ... a Four-tee ... for hangn' wit da Homies !

COLT 45 + ... Ditto.

PABST OLDE ENGLISH 800 ... 'ENGLISH' ? The British Import look. Ohhhh yah !

SCHLITZ MALT LIQUOR ... in a brown paper bag only.

FAXE 10% + ... a Real @ss Kicker.

MILWAUKEE'S BEST ... Best ??? Sure it is !!!

2009 Mar 3
Hey Folks

Nice to see so many people interested in the craft beer industry. Not really sure if I should laugh or cry after reading some of your comments on Creemore.

We never expect all people to love Creemore but we believe we make a great beer and do everything in our power to ensure it gets out to the market it's very freshest. It's hard not to take comments personally when I know we have done nothing to change the character or the quality of the beer.

I keep telling folks ownership does not define who we are. It's the same 60 odd people who work here day in and day out who define what and who we are. And we remain simply Creemore.

I would encourage everyone, if you are in our neck of the woods, to stop by and visit the brewery. You will see exactly how our LAGERS are made - pure spring water, 100% barley malt, our own select yeast and hops. Nothing else.

I would never attempt to discredit some of the comments above. The sense of taste is such a personal thing. Who am I to tell folks what they are actually experiencing. I just hope people's comments are based on the merits of the beer not on who or what they now think we are.

Thanks to all who support us and for everyone's thoughtful comments.

Cheers
Karen

2009 Mar 3
I'm not sure where this idea that Creemore has dropped in quality comes from, I'm going to suggest that the perception has changed more than the actual quality of the beer. It remains a standout brewery for its consistency in producing on-style, straightforward beers. The Creemore lager is a standby when I go to a bar that doesn't stock some of the more "exciting" beers. Having the beers in cans goes a long way in addressing any concerns over skunkiness. Keep up the good work Karen!

Otherwise, Liberty Ale, Devil's Pale Ale and Duvel are regulars in my fridge.

2009 Mar 3
For my part Brian, the idea comes from a raft of Home Brewers who have noted it for years now - even before Molson bought them. And in fact the one guy I can recall most of all bemoaning Creemore's change in flavour is a certified beer judge.

And sorry Karen, but once you get bought by the big boys, it becomes more than just being about the merits of the beer. Molson has a long history of buying up competition only to put them out of business. A long history of restricting and reducing consumer selection. A long history of cut-throat tactics like using its ownership position in the Beer Store to put legal and therefore financial pressure on small breweries like Brick (i.e. long battle over stubby bottles). I cannot in good conscience support that long history even if the beer hadn't changed. Not when there are so many fantastic micros out there far more deserving of my dollars.

2009 Mar 3
Monty - I want some of that popcorn that I'm sure you have popping away... hehehe ;)

Zym, Karen - I too have noted a change that preceded the Molson buyout.

2009 Mar 3
Thanks for your kind words Brian. Agree, there are certainly more full flavoured offerings than Creemore out there. It really comes down to the beer experience you are looking for.

I think zymurgist, we'll have to agree to disagree. It's not our place to comment on past business practices, all we know is they have been true to their word, since day one, and have left us as a seperate business and operating entity.

I applaud your support of craft breweries. A lot of our friends work for those breweries - Steam Whistle, Wellington, Mill Street etc.. As we all grow, we are able to better cultivate a real beer culture here in Ontario. Big or small.

So if you have to give your dollars somewhere else. I glad it's going to these folks.

Cheers
Karen

2009 Mar 3
We are now discussing this on the brewers' list and most of the guys put the change in the 2000/2001 timeframe (6 or 7 guys so far). One guy recalls reading that they had changed their malt bill around that time but cannot find a reference for this at the moment. He recalled it being more domestic malt and less imported.

In any case, in fairness I SHOULD go out and buy one just to judge it on its own merits, since it has been a good 3 years since I've had one. And if I were not unemployed at the moment I would do just that. However, I cannot justify even $3 or whatever a can of it would cost, so that will have to wait until I am once again amongst the gainfully employed.

In fairness I will also say that a lot of the guys say they still enjoy the beer, they just don't think it's the same as it was. Some are also commenting that the new Creemore Pilsener tastes like the old Creemore Lager used to, before the changes.

2009 Mar 3
"all we know is they have been true to their word, since day one, and have left us as a seperate business and operating entity."

This is encouraging

2009 Mar 3
hi Karen,

First, let me say i'll be trying a Creemore next time out to a bar, not for comparison sake (i didn't drink it before), but simply as a nod to your willingness to come here and discuss the product fairly openly.

that noted, can i ask how you ended up here? Did someone (a friend?) point you to this discussion? Or, do you monitor sites like this in a professional capacity?

Not asking out of suspicion or some other nefarious rationale: simply curious as to how closely the big food/beverage interests do monitor these sort of sites, and what mechanisms they deploy in that process.

2009 Mar 3
I will have to try out Creemore again, the Pilsner as well.

*drinking Anchor Steam as I type*

2009 Mar 3
I got to go get me a beer. dam

2009 Mar 4
Itchy Feet: You ask "... can i ask how you ended up here?"

Captain Caper rides again !!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From the Creemore Website

Originally Pilsner was to be only a summer offering. But, our fans have spoken and you now can enjoy Pilsner year round. Available at the Beer Store, LCBO, and select bars and dining establishments.

Drop us a note and tell us what you think.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Soooooooo ....

To: thefolks@creemoresprings.com
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:46 PM
Subject: Here is what I think of Creemore SpringsTraditional Lager

www.ottawafoodies.com

Ottawa Foodies is a site that serves approx. 1600 registered (or 200,000 non-registered) users in the Ottawa area.

Feel free to address the questions I raise there.

2009 Mar 4
We drink a variety of different beers. When we travel, sampling the regional craft ales is one of our hobbies (West Australia has awesome selection!)

We find our "house beers" measure up pretty well.. which are McAuslan products out of Montreal -- in particular:
St. Ambroise Pale Ale
Griffon Extra Pale Ale

Both available at LCBO and Beer Store.

2009 Mar 4
Ah yeah St-Ambroise, yum. Eff it, I like beer, period.

2009 Mar 4
BTW, I am currently selling some excess brewing gear in exchange for Creemore - so that I can properly try it. Will keep you posted ...

2009 Mar 4
Hey Zy:

Don't need any brewing kit ... but I do have one can of Creemore Lager in my fridge. (I had to revisit it in the last few days).

Send me a message with your address and I'll drop it off on my way downtown. This pm or tomorrow.

I understand you are near the Parkdale Market from past postings. I'm near the Mosque on Scott St. So it's not out of may way at all.

Look at it as a token of appreciation for the inspiration you have given me to get into canning and I just can't wait to hear your review of the current Creemore product.

Most Sincerely,

The Captain.

2009 Mar 4
Sweet! It's Fresh Foodies site but I'm the one getting all the free beer!

Being unemployed ROCKS!!!

2009 Mar 4
I have no idea about 2000, I was all of 16 years old, I can only say that I haven't noticed any problems since 2005... and now that I re-read your post zymurgist I see you weren't even speaking of the Molson acquisition so my bad.

2009 Mar 4
hehe ... Capt'n: bravo on herding the vendors to the site! Gave me a good chuckle.

Inkling (or others): where do you get your Dogfish Head Ale ... US visits? I haven't seen it in the lcbo for a couple yrs (and in v. limited supplies even then).

2009 Mar 4
Thanks for the beer Captain!

I'm enjoying it right now.

When you said you were going to drop one off for me, I promised myself I would get all preconceived notions out of my head about this beer. I'm actually pretty good at doing that with everything in my life since it is one of the basic precepts of Aikido training and you are supposed to do it with everything in your life.

In-and-of itself the Creemore Lager is a very good beer. It is a golden colour going on slight copper (lighting here is poor unfortunately). The nose is clean with no estery notes - proper for a lager. I'm not getting any malt nose off it either - which is neither here nor there for a lager (you can have malt nose, or not, depending on what type of lager since there are a dozen or more beer styles under the banner "lager"). There is a distinct and ever-so-slightly sweet malt character on the palate - not thick and overwhelming, cloying; but solid and rather pleasant. Because of this I'm actually surprised I'm not getting a malt nose - gave it a very good swish in my glass but nothing.

I forgot to measure the specific gravity of the thing out of curiousity sake.

There is a certain, subtle character to it which I'm having trouble determining is a slight "ale" character left behind by the yeast (which is a no-no in a lager), or whether it is from the malt.

All-in-all it is an extremely drinkable beer - something I could drink a fair bit of very easily and not complain about. It's quite different from your mainstream beers from Molson, Labatt, and the likes, but still something that people who normally drink mainstream beer would thoroughly enjoy. If it were still independent I would even put it back into regular circulation on my list of beers. And even knowing it is owned by Molson, I do want to pick up a bit more (once I have a job again) to do another tasting under better conditions. Though I don't think I could in good conscience buy very much of it.

I wonder if Karen would tell us anything about how it is brewed. I'm particularly interested in what yeast is used, and fermentation and lagering times and temperatures.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to mention a couple of important points. Hopping is reasonably subdued. I'd guess maybe 15 IBUs (mainstreams are around 10), perhaps as high as 18. But no more. With the lower bitterness and the malt character, along with the colour, I'd say it is a pretty good example of a Munich Helles Lager. www.bjcp.org

2009 Mar 5
Since it was my predilection for Creemore that seemed to really spark this occasionally heated debate I picked up a few cans last night to impugn it against some of the above criticism. In the end I have to say I am still a fan and would be proud to offer it to any non-Canadian beer lover as an example of one of the many beers we have to be proud of in Ontario.

Also 2$ (at the Beer Store) for a 500mL can is a pretty good price for a "premium" domestic. Please don't attack my use of the term premium ;)

The above discussion about the 2005 Molson acquisition has had me thinking lately. Although personally I have no problem with a small company being acquired by a larger one (given the caveat that the product remains high quality), I find the fact that the only retail beer outlet in Ontario (aka The Beer Store) is owned by three companies (Molson Coors, InBev and Sapporo) who are largely foreign-owned....a bit distasteful. I always thought the Beer Store was a gov't outlet, so at least some tax revenue was generated for the public, but I was greatly mistaken.

Personally I see no public policy reason to extend a monopoly to a largely foreign, private entity. Bring on the Ontario Depanneurs!!

2009 Mar 5
Itchy feet, Dogfish Head 60min is available at the LCBO, starting coming in during the fall I think...

2009 Mar 5
Itchy feet and Brian Mc: It's already available at the LCBO. I just checked the LCBO's website and lots of Ottawa locations appear to have some in stock.

2009 Mar 5
Woops, meant to write "started".

2009 Mar 5
Just picked up a couple of bottles of Rogue Brutal Bitter from the LCBO and am enjoying my first glass. Wow! This is delicious beer. Not as in-your-face bitter as I imagined, rather well rounded with floral tones actually. I will be buying more of this, although it is a bit pricey.

I too am a fan of American micro brews, particularly the pale ales. It's hilarious how maligned American beer is when they produce some of the best in the world.

Once again, Rogue Brutal Bitter is a very, very good beer.

2009 Mar 5
Rogue has to be one of my favourite US brewers (of the ones I have tried). They produce excellent beers with, the most important thing to me, incredible balance. The quality of their malt is fantastic and they don't overdo it with the hopping as US brewers often do. I pass on the ST and DFH for the Dead Guy Ale, give it a shot ollie. I haven't tried their Kells Irish Lager yet, but I'm sure it's lovely.

2009 Mar 11
I'm just trying the Kells. It's another winner from Rogue. A truly crisp and balanced lager in a land of make believes. I really like what these guys are doing.

I had some Dead Guy this week as well and I don't know why I don't buy it more often.

Is Rogue available anywhere other than the Rideau Street LCBO?

2009 Mar 11
So many fine beers mentioned. I'm a fan of Southern Tier. Their IPA is available at the LCBO on Rideau and I occasionally private order their Unearthly. Personally, I'm happy to see Rogue, DFH, ST and Brooklyn all in the LCBO at the same time. These are all great US micros, and seeing them stocked permanently on LCBO was unthinkable not too long ago.

DFH fans might enjoy this article:
www.newyorker.com

Ontario beers I wish I could get in Ottawa: Black Oak Nut Brown and Denison's Weissbier.

Cheers!

2009 Mar 12
Great article - thanks.

2009 Mar 12
mmm, beer, mmm, beer, mmm...
Let me say that I love beer but don't have a favourite - there are too many that I appreciate and enjoy. In the house I have both Hockley's, some Caledonian 80/-, Fuller's London Porter, Heineken, Coor's Light (just being totally honest - a friend who only drinks it brought some over to watch the Sen's play), some Guinness, Keith's IPA, and some organic St. Peter's English Ale (something my dw brought home from her mother's and I haven't tried yet). I've never been much of a fan of Creemore unfortunately, and have yet to try Beau's Lug Tread though it's definitely on my list now. Another brewery I do like and buy in fits and starts is Big Rock - their Traditional, Grasshopper and especially Warthog. Not too many Big Rock fans in Ottawa I guess - it's sometimes hard to find.

2009 Mar 12
A beer I should have mentioned - I have only the empties left - that I really enjoyed this week and hope to get more of (though not a lot more as it was $3.50/330 ml bottle) is Innis & Gunn's Oak Aged Beer from Scotland, a real delight for this beer lover, one with some unusual flavouring from the oak cask conditioning. Anyone else try this recent LCBO special?

2009 Mar 12
Yeah, I've had the Innes and Gunn and it is really nice. Aged in whiskey barrels as I recall. There are 2 version of it - 1 aged quite a bit longer than the other. The higher-end version is pretty rare and hard to get though. Both are fantastic.

2009 Mar 12
these are what I drink depending on what mood takes me
-Beau's Lug Tread
-Big Rock Trad
-Dragon Stout
-Negro Modelo
-Paulaner Hefeweisen
-Singha
-Brick Red
-McAuslan Apricot
-Bass Ale
-Harp Lager
-Guiness
and when I was living back in Seattle, Pyramid Wheaten (although they were swallowed up by Budweiser so I would not touch it now)

2009 Mar 12
I'm also a big fan of Innis and Gunn! I discovered it about a year ago and have purchased a couple bottles every 3 or 4 months since then. As Andy said, it's pretty pricey. It would be nice if it were sold in 4's or 6's at a slight discount... :\

Very curious about Zym's mention of the extra-aged version. Will have to keep an eye out!

2009 Mar 12
Hey Folks

Yes, Captain Caper sent me a note and invited me to join the chat. I gotta tell you I was a blog virgin. You folks were my first.

Someone was asking about the yeast. We have had the same strain of yeast since the beginning of the brewery. We originally got it from a brewery in the states but it's origin dates back well over 100 years from the original brewey in Europe. We are fortunate it is a bit of a clydesdale or a work horse of a yeast. It loves to be worked unlike other yeasts that deteriorate after a certain number of uses.

I happen to be in Ottawa this week-end with our brew master. We are at the Rideau LCBO Friday night and the Nepean Store on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants to ask him questions face to face.

Also, can any one recommend a good place for dinner. We usually go to the black tomatoe when in town but have two nights of dinner to cover.

Cheers
Karen

2009 Mar 12
FF - the only place I've had the extra-aged version is at the Urban Element around the corner from my place, at a dinner with Stephen Beaumont. You might be able to call them and ask where to get it.

EDIT: or groovy grapes might know. They were there that night too as a sponsor or something.

2009 Mar 12
Hi Karen,

Hope you enjoy Ottawa! If you're in and around the Market area, I highly recommend Murray Street, Domus, or Sweetgrass. They're all along Murray Street, not too far from where the Black Tomato is. Each is fairly distinct from each other, too, meaning you can hit two of the three and not feel like you're being repetitive.

2009 Mar 12
Thank You, we were thinking about Murray Street and will certainly try it now.

Cheers
Karen

2009 Mar 13
Do you have an address for the Nepean store? There are a number of them in Nepean.

Thanks!

2009 Mar 13
hey zym it's the hunt club location - there's a $40 admission though?!?!

--------------------------

www.lcbo.com

543 WEST HUNT CLUB RD.,
HUNT CLUB & MERIVALE
(NEPEAN CROSSROADS)

Tel: 613-224-4333

SLEEMAN, MILL STREET
& CREEMORE SPRINGS – THE BREW CREW
FEATURING ED MCCALLUM, JOEL MANNING
& GORDON FULLER

Date: Saturday, March 14
Time: 1:00 - 2:30 pm
Price: $40

Ed McCallum, Director of Brewing at Sleeman, enjoys sharing his knowledge of the brewing process and the difference between a cream ale and traditional ale. Joel Manning of Mill Street Brewery believes the challenge of crafting a great beer occupies that territory where science and art intersect. Gordon Fuller of Creemore Springs Brewery started making beer before he could buy it, thus is credited with making beer seeded in history.

All three brewers join us today, in this rare opportunity to share the history that goes into every bottle they produce.

2009 Mar 13
WTF?

Screw that!!! 40 bucks!

2009 Mar 13
Hey Zymurgist

There is a paid sampling but I am doing a complimentary sampling at the front of the store from 1- 3:30. Gord will be done his tutored sampling by 1:45 and will also be around to speak to folks about our beers and the process til about 2:30.

Cheers
Karen

2009 Mar 13
Much better! Thanks Karen :-)

2009 Mar 13
Karen from Creemore - Got to say I am enjoying your input to the site, a real class act. I am sure that the event will be a success for you and the crew... and both sides will learn from the other... Win-Win. "The Man" and I may very well stop by the Nepean Crossroads location and check it all out.

PS... TO OTHER OWNERS OUT THERE... This is the way that OF was meant to work.
Listen & Learn.

2009 Mar 14
anyone try barley days from kingston?
the wind and sea dark ale looks tempting

2009 Mar 14
I think I've had an ale of some sort from Barley Days at one point or another, but it wasn't dark. It was quite tasty, though. Would love to hear how the dark ale is.

2009 Mar 14
I'm digging this Innis & Gunn. Good call guys!

2009 Mar 14
Hey Zy:

Did you make it to see the Sleeman's Brewmaster ?

Any 'field notes' ?

I wonder if they did change the malt bill on the lager as one of your brewing buddies might have heard.

2009 Mar 14
hi chef - I mentioned earlier - forgive my repetition, I've had the Barley Days pale ale last summer/fall and really enjoyed it. In winter I tend to go for darks/stouts/strong beers and have not tried their wind & sea.

I tried the Innis & Gunn a while back, but didn't care for it. I've had Rauch beer which is a smoked beer, and didn't really care for that either and I found there was a similarity between them. Maybe thats what I need to add to the foods I don't like thread :) Go figure I love pretty much everything smoked.

2009 Mar 15
thanx for the answer sourdough
drink on!

2009 Mar 15
No, didn't make it out Captain. Busy day with the kids yesterday with a birthday party in addition to their regular Saturday activities.

2009 Mar 15
"The Man" & I made it out to LCBO (Nepean Crossroads) yesterday afternoon. We picked up a few of the wines from the latest Vintages Ontario Release (more info for Winos to come) and checked out the 3 Displays there by Creemore, Mill Street & Sleemans.

We didn't see anything of interest at the Sleemans booth (just the regular offerings that we've seen elsewhere). Over at Mill Street we tasted the Organic, it was ok, light & crisp. Creemore's Pilsner was clean and crisp, and "The Man" says he liked it a bit more than the Mill Street Organic. As a non-beer drinker I was most fascinated with the display of Hops, Malt and Barley. LOL

"The Man" spent some time chatting with the Brewmaster Gordon Fuller and found him to be quite personable.

As an aside... I discovered the following recently on the back of a Creemore coaster at a local pub:

Creemore's Fan Club - The Loyal Order of Frothquaffers

One can join on-line at www.creemoresprings.com or by snail mail for $ 16 you receive a handsome exclusive members t-shirt & certificate. As well as "Frothtalk" the official newsletter.

--- --- ---

Chef Obi - Barley Days Brewery is in Picton (Prince Edward County) east of Kingston, closer to Belleville. They currently make 2 year-round Brews - Harvest Gold Pale Ale, Wind & Sail Dark Ale, along with three seasonals - Yuletide Cherry Porter (Christmas), Sugar Shack Ale (Spring) and Loyalist Lager (Summertime).

"The Man" and I did a Brewery Tour with them last year during Maple in the County and met Chris Rogers the owner. At that time of year they were offering 3 of the 4 aforementioned Brews. "The Man" like both the Pale Ale & the Dark. Unfortunately they are a tad hard to find in the Ottawa Area... if you check out their website, you may find where they are on tap locally. www.barleydaysbrewery.com

2009 Mar 15
thanx F&T
actually thinking of featuring the wind and sail along side beau's at the resto and bagging the horrid heritage

2009 Mar 15
Pub Italia often has one or both of Wind and Sail and Harvest Gold on Tap.

2009 Mar 16
pub italia also has bottles of chimay blue, which we tried - very good, plus we had strawberry frulli, and achtel 8 from the trappist list. on draft we had a beaus and a very large devil something-or-other. all were good.

i don't normally go to pub italia, but our guests from out of town had heard of it and were keen to try it.

2009 Mar 16
thanx DD

2009 Mar 16
I am not a huge beer drinker but my sig other is..he has never abandoned Creemore's completely and I think I've seen it in the fridge again. I also recently noticed stubby bottles of Heritage traditional dark (ottawa). He didn't say how they were. He likes Beaus, St. Ambroise, Czelch and Polish beer. He travels to Belgium and always brings back different stuff that he and his friends have fun trying (mostly good reviews but not always--and there are so many different choices in Belgium) Why can't he travel to France?! No wine for me...

2009 Apr 3
My thanks to chef Obi for bringing up the Barley Days brewery and the Wind and Sail Dark Ale in this discussion and also to all those who recommended it. I found some at my local LCBO and have been enjoying it over the past 2 weeks. I was wondering if chef Obi or anyone else familiar with it might be willing to offer food pairing suggestions for it - I opened my first one with the intention of having some of my house hummus (flavoured with tahini, cumin and Kalamatas) with it but held off after tasting the W&S and thinking it wasn't something to go with the hummus. Any suggestions?
The hoppiness of the W&S reminded me a lot of the Yorkshire Terrier, a cask bitter from www.yorkbrew.demon.co.uk which may be the hoppiest brew I've ever tasted and one which I don't remember eating anything with - maybe they are not food friendly?
As for Barley Days Brewery they seem to have numerous beers, more than mentioned here, including Sugar Shack Ale released a couple weeks ago (see www.barleydaysbrewery.com/ - where they also have a recipe for maple baked beans using 5 bottles of the brew) and I read somewhere else that they have a Cherry Porter which I'd love to taste though perhaps it's out of season or a one-off? They also may have a Boch Lager coming soon.

2009 Apr 3
as for the W&S, sounds like fish and chips or lamb stew are your best bet as for hummus, damn!, perhaps tiger/singha? the overload of all that raw garlic will kill most beers plus the lemon
hmmm
need to taste test a few

2009 Apr 4
Thanks Obi; I've been thinking since posting that maybe I just don't like to eat food with really flavourful beers, saving the food for lighter beer drinking. Mind you, after drinking a few eg Hockley Irish, Caledonian 80/-, or other dark brews I do get hungry but will save the food til after the beer is done.

2009 Apr 4
I'm drinking my own Hefeweizen now !

Yay beer!

2009 Apr 6
Andy - "The Man" and I have been following Barley Days Brewery for several years now as part of our love of the Prince Edward County Region... Last Spring at Maple in the County the Brewery was featuring their Ale sampling with Maple Baked Beans (probably the same ones you found a recipe for on their website).

As for food matches for their mainstream ales (Harvest Gold Pale Ale and Wind & Sail Dark Ale) you might want to take a look at The Barley Room Pub Menu at the Waring House Inn (Both the Inn & the Brewery are owned by the same folks) and the Pub predominently features beers from the Brewery

www.waringhouse.com

There you`ll find some amazing eats (with more descriptive info) of which I think the following might match up nicely with their ales - French Onion Soup, Roast Beef Dip, Turkey Pie Casserole, Shepherd`s Pie, Grilled Pepper Medallions of Beef, Pan-Seared Calve`s Liver, Prime Rib & Yorkshire Pudding, or Waring House Ploughman`s Lunch.

As for their other beers... they are all seasonal and only available at the Brewery (and around the County)... which gives one "another excuse" for a visit to the Picton area (Wine, Cider and Great Food would be other "excuses").

2009 Apr 6
Speaking of maple and beer, I just got an email yesterday from one of my farmers and he mentioned that he just brewed a beer made with maple sap instead of water. He told me he'll bring me some for sampling on Thursday night drop offs - yay! I'm glad I volunteered my driveway!

2009 Apr 7
Thanks for the added info F&T. We have eaten at Waring House (it was excellent, sadly it was the last time our old gang of ten got together as our hosts split up soon after, though she still lives there on the water). I've not eaten at the pub so that's something to look forward to, and the sample menu looks interesting and I can see lots there to eat with a good beer. That's excuse enough to hit the road this spring and summer.

Zymurgist, I am likely not alone in awaiting your report on the tasting; I wonder if the maple flavour come through.

2009 Apr 7
Well, if you sign up for my CSA and choose my driveway as your pickup point, you can get in on the tasting too :-)

EDIT: there are a number of local brewers who are signed up and pick up here - we've come to call it our "Thursday Night Beer Night". And tasting is open to anyone who happens by. Of course we encourage responsible drinking - so sample-sizes only, please! Well, except for me since I am on my front step :-)

2009 Apr 7
Thanks for the CSA invite, zymurgist, but I won't be taking you up on it - I might if I lived nearby (OK so I don't even know where you are) but I don't. Time to confess: I haven't lived in Ottawa for 29 years, but I'm close, only 10 minutes south of the southern boundary, just 5 minutes from Jean Alberts in Hallville and close to Mountain Path (how about that for a coincidence?). But I'm in the city often to visit friends and family, shop, eat and get entertained. Maybe not as often as I used to unfortunately. Also, I have >1200 sq, feet of garden to feed me 'n the missus: maybe I should be running a CSA myself but we just tend to give the extra stuff away to family, friends, neighbours, local critters, and the local food bank.
As for "Thursday Night Beer Night," that sounds like it might be pretty sweet on a nice summer evening!
Cheers! Don't fall off the step.

2009 Apr 8
For hummus and other garlic laden food give a good American pale ale a shot. Liberty Ale from Anchor is a must whenever I get a shawarma. Hops cut right through the garlic and carbonation cleans up before the next bite. Excellent.

2009 Apr 10
just a heads up for those interested in the longer aged / casked Innis & Gunns, the lcbo on Carling (intersection of Woodroffe) is carrying both it and the regular versions.

Actually, for one of the smaller lcbo's, this store has an interesting selection: next to the I & G's are a couple rows of Chimay and Duvel stubbies.

2009 Apr 10
A few weeks ago I picked up the I&G rum oak cask aged beer, and a St-Ambroise Vintage Ale... will report back.

Itchy - that LCBO has a really decent selection of Ontario Craft beers... Neustadt 10w30 is a new fav of mine (thanks to Wellington Gastropub for having it on draught).

2009 Apr 10
Mmmmmm, the keg fridge is now open for the season!

2009 Apr 11
you are a god zym!

2009 Apr 11
Some brew buddies were over to visit today while I was brewing, and they both dropped off a couple of bottles of their own stuff.

Wow! I'm completely blown away by my friend Pete's Pils! Just finished it, and told him that it is easily one of the top 5 beers I've ever drunk, and maybe even one of the top 3. So clean and crisp, but the hopping is just sublime. I'm not sure what he is doing there but it's just blowing me away!

[ ... ]

Ok, now I do know what he's doing for hopping. Very interesting choice with German Northern Brewer hops for bittering, but with 3 additions (2 late ones for flavour and aroma) of American Crystal hops, which have distinct citrusy notes. But the thing is that I would not have pegged the character as citrusy beforehand.

2009 Apr 21
So my wife and kids got me a big basket of assorted beers a while back. Included as Innes and Gunn, which previously I did not enjoy so much. The other night, I gave it a second shot. It was really enjoyable. I drank it quite cold out of the fridge, and also let it rest for a while to make sure I wasn't masking any of the flavours, and it was still good. So now I figure the first ones I tried must have been skunked. The real question I have is why do those friggen marketing geniuses put good beer in a clear bottle?

2009 Apr 21
Currently (just took my first sip) drinking Hockley Dark..... no complaints.

2009 Apr 21
Lucky you sourdough; I also am lucky enough every now and again in getting some beers from my wife, including one or two I've never tried (like last summer's Caledonian 80/-, now on a roll with it and it's good in bread too). I'm happy to hear the I&G got a second chance and is more to your liking this time. I've got a beer that I am going to give a second chance, inspired by you self-sacrifice (well, it helps that I have 4 more bottles sitting in the cold room =;0) - I was going to buy some I&G last week but ended up with some Barley Days Harvest Gold, Mill St. Coffee Porter, Fuller's London Porter, and more Caledonian 80/- as well as wine so I left the I&G on the shelf for next time. I poured a couple Harvest Gold for the 2 of us with some hummus with some Iranian Persian bread from the St. Laurent Mid-East food store and I'm enjoying the nose when my dw samples it and gives me a loud "ewww! I don't like this beer" and I then found it wasn't what I was expecting - it's an odd pale ale but I'll have another go. Another I'll enjoy more the second time is that Coffee Porter - I thought it was a little light with little beer flavour but I still liked it and can see it might grow on me.

Orleansfoodie, I hope that even the final few sips of warm Hockley were as good to you as the first - it's a fine ale, and their stout is pretty good. My daughter loves their stout on tap but I've never had the pleasure - I wonder if it's available anywhere in Ottawa? She used to get it in TO but lives in England now and doesn't have any need for it there.

Speaking of beer, I used to take great pride when I was younger and more ignorant in dissing American beers wrt their alcohol content, thinking ours was superior at 5% abv and had more flavour to boot. Nowadays I find I like lower alcohol beers that have good flavours eg the Hockley Stout and wish there were more. There certainly were enough of them in England that I sampled a couple years ago. Is anyone else onside with me on this or do you care?

2009 Apr 21
Just tapped the stout I brewed about 2 weeks ago. OMFG it is good!

I love this obsession^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hhobby ...

2009 Apr 21
hi Zym, this could be a thread on its own (i'm guilty of doing this), but when you say "and told him that it is easily one of the top 5 beers I've ever drunk, and maybe even one of the top 3", is the rhetorical statement from someone who's had (i assume, but not without some evidence) his fair share of brew? Or, is the comment of a clear-headed rationalist? Or...?

I'm asking in all naivete, as a self-declared non-supertaster. Just curious about your comparative techniques, your methods for keeping track of all this stuff.

2009 Apr 22
New Seasonal Beer in the pipe from Beaus - Beau's - www.beaus.ca

As per their webiste...

Beaver River I.P. Eh? - (Available Starting April 24, 2009) – Inspired by the Beaver River (rivière Castor), which connects Ottawa to many communities to the East, this IPA is designed to appeal to Hop Heads. Taking the malt and yeast profile of a traditional British style India Pale Ale and adding an American-style citrusy punch, our Beaver River is both assertive and drinkable. Beaver River is brewed with local spring water and the ingredients are 100% certified organic.

Sounds interesting... looks like Festivale is currently on the back burner. Guessing that Beaver River IP Eh? will be the beer that will be making the rounds this summer (first up Tulip Festival's "Savour the Tulips" event May 2nd).

2009 Apr 22
itchy, I can't say that I keep track of that sort of thing in any real way, that was just me tossing out a SWAG. Though with a perfectly clear head - not all gassed up on booze :-)

F&T, I look forward to tasting their IPA. Though it is a bit of an odd choice for a summer seasonal. Really, their Lug Tread is already the perfect summer beer.

For the history of IPA you can start with this great article from the now defunct Brewing Techniques magazine : www.brewingtechniques.com

BTW, poor old Alexander Keith must be rolling over in his grave with what Labatt and InterBrew/InterBev have done with his namesake in the meantime. Calling that an IPA is a cruel joke.

2009 Apr 22
Keith's is def. not an IPA. I just had the Neustadt Scottish Ale... very nice! I'm quite enjoying Neustadt's stuff these days, as in, ALL of it (dark ale, lager, etc). It's too early to be thinking about beer.

2009 Apr 22
Zym - Ok, I'm not a beer drinker... so I can't really comment on one type of brew vs another... but I can say that Beaus of course has a reputation for trying different things with their beers, all of which have worked, and been well received so far (Lug Tread, Bog Water, Festivale, Night Marsen)... so based on their past performance I'm guessing that Beaver River IP Eh? will also be "different" from their flagship Lug Tread. Although, I do think that the issue of being able to say it is "all organic" in itself is something that will set it apart (at least marketing wise)... I know that Beaus is very proud to be able to display that moniker (Certified Organic Malts & Eastern Ontario Spring Water).

Anyhow... the release is this Friday (April 24, 2009), I will at the Brewery within the next week, so I will report back with any and all news. As well as tasting report from "The Man".

According to Canadian Beer News this Seasonal Beer will be available in bottles at the Brewery and on tap at various locations around Eastern Ontario including Play, Pub Italia & The Cheshire Cat. The beer will have a limited time availability until the Summer Solstice (June 21st) at which time a new seasonal brew will be rolled out.

*Relative info regarding this Beer and it's release will be cross posted on the Beau's OF Page Beau's

2009 Apr 22
The IPA will be entirely different from the Lug Tread (in theory). The kolsch is a continental beer through and through, the Beaver River should have a solid english style malt backpone with some citrussy American hops (if the description is to be believed). It's a fine summer choice for a seasonal. I'll be out there Saturday to check it out.

2009 Apr 22
BTW, according to the Beau's website, festivale will be released on June 21st.

2009 Apr 22
Brian Mc - Thanks for the info on Festivale I missed that... makes sense though, Festivale was brewed originally last year in honour of all the Festivals held each summer in the region... which of course saw Beaus attending most of them.

Last year Beaus debuted Festivale at the Franco-Ontarien Festival (first event of the summer)... the beer was well received not only because it is good beer, but also because of its "bilingual" name... It is a Beau's tradition to name their beers using local history and lore, so in some ways the beer honours the French & English Settlers in Eastern Ontario (Hawkesbury having the 2nd largest French population in Ontario... only behind Hearst). This year's Franco-Ontarien Festival is scheduled for June 11th thru 13th, with Festivale's Release Date of June 21st, I am wondering if that is the date that the Beer comes available for sale / distribution to the general public... so that like last year if you want an early sip, ya gotta go to the Festival. LOL

2009 Apr 22
I was at the LCBO the other day, and noted a 'new' flavour of Aventinus called the Eisboch. I almost dropped it in the store when I read that this beverage weighs in at 12 hefty percent alcohol! Luckily the bottle made it home and I can say.. WOW. You can read a description here: www.bunitedint.com

2009 Apr 22
Pete, the Aventinus Eisbock is world class. Get a case of them and cellar them, you won't be disapointed. I still have a handful of bottles from last year's release.

2009 Apr 22
Ooooo, Eisbock! May have to try that one - thanks PiO

2009 Apr 22
Whew! Pete, you inspired me to crack open one of my Eisbocks that I left for aging. After a little over a year it is absolutely glorious! The aroma as I poured it actually made me dizzy. Brandy soaked cherries just jumped out of the glass. A lot of the caramel and bread flavours have faded away and been replaced by absurd amounts of ripe red fruit, the tartness is almost in kriek territory. Alcohol certainly hasn't dulled, it has taken on a real port wine character.

I owe you one Pete!

2009 Apr 22
stop it you two
ya'makin'mecrazy thirsty

2009 Apr 22
Speaking of beer - my SO is making her legendary Guinness cake. I will trade a slice for a bar of gold, any takers?

Last time I drank Eisbock I got unexpectedly wasted, resulting in the worst hangover ever! But I'd be willing to try it again, I do remember it being very tasty.

2009 Apr 22
LOL, that old phrase "Boys will be boys" comes to mind with the chatter in this post.

2009 Apr 23
"men"

lol

2009 Apr 23
Oh that does it - its lunch and I'm going to run out and pick some up.

2009 Apr 23
Just don't drink it for lunch, it packs a heck of a punch... I had a rough morning.

2009 Apr 23
This thread just keeps popping up over and over ... and me with only a week left of unemployment. I'd better get drinking!

2009 Apr 23
Zym - Did I miss something in the Zym Diaries... are you going to be gainfully employed again shortly?

2009 Apr 23
Yeah, next Friday, May 1st, unfortunately :-(

2009 Apr 23
Zym - Well that is good news.

I'm guessing the frown is because as I said in the "Are We Lazy" topic you've run out of time... no time to sit back and enjoy the carefree days of summer (boys out of school etc), it's back to the grind. Ah yes, but you'll have money.
:-)

2009 Apr 23
Yeah, was hoping to be able to enjoy some of summer :-(

Oh well, income isn't a bad thing, and I still have not ruled out winning the lottery :-)

2009 Apr 24
Oh you guys, posting just as I was about to go on a walk to buy some lunch beer.

To keep on topic: Had a can of Keith's White on a lark, and it wasn't as white as I would have liked. I enjoy their IPA and their Red, but the White's a bit too easy-drinking for me. Not enough spice or citrus.

2009 Apr 24
Momomoto - Bearing in mind that I am not a beer drinking, here's what "The Man" had to say when recently given a complimentary sample of Keith's White (Draft) at a local pub..."White is just too light, meh, not much too it... might be ok (one) on a hot humid summer day". And he wasn't too thrilled about the d@mn orange slice they thru in the glass!

2009 Apr 24
But here's the thing! That's what white beers are all about! They're great on a hot summer day because they have all these refreshing additives like coriander and orange peel.

(This is also why they go so damn well with lobster, too, IMHO.)

To remove the intensity of those flavours is to remove the quintessence of white beer.

They can have the yeast still in the bottle or they can have the yeast filtered out, but I want to know that I'm drinking something white.

2009 Apr 24
Momomoto - Hear ya, he did mention he thought it would be "refreshing" just couldn't see himself drinking more than one (a first one right off the golf course perhaps).

Thanks for the lobster tip... thinking it will also go nicely with a big ole feed of crab legs then too (always a favourite around the BBQ).

We will "food match" and report back. LOL

EDIT - Actually having read back to your first post, I believe he said something similar to the fact that it was ok, just not the best white he had had.

2009 Apr 24
I have no idea what Keith's White tastes like but I did toss a keg of Wit (Belgian White) in the fridge first thing this morning, and it will be ready to crack real soon now!

2009 Apr 25
P-i-O's post above inspired me to go to the LCBO to pick up some Aventinus Eisbock. I'm glad I did because I found quite a few things from some great breweries that I haven't tried before like Kell's Irish Style Lager from Rogue, Green Tea Ale from Great Lakes and St. Peter's Winter Ale.

Fans of Dieu de Ciel wil be happy to know that they are bottling several more varieties: micro.dieuduciel.com
I picked up a few last week in Quebec City, and hopefully we'll see these soon over in Gatineau. Yummy!

2009 Apr 26
from the random sampling basket provided by my wife, I tried the Big Hole Brewing Co, Headstrong pale ale. Advertised as a "Classic British-Style Pale Ale" it was ok - but not astounding. The hop profile was a bit timid, overall decent, but I prefer something that hits me in the face a bit more. Not sure if there is such a thing as a Pale Ale, as opposed to an IPA - if so I'm guessing this is closer in character to the first.

By the way the chestshire cat is having a "Beau's patio opening event" - I believe on May 6 or 9th (not on their web site, and I'll going on memory)

2009 Apr 27
My favorite mass produced summer beer is the Moosehead IPA. More along the lines of a Keith's IPA instead of the much more pronounced and traditional Propeller IPA(lived in Halifax). If people are looking for something truely awe inspiring in a beer try Fat Tire www.newbelgium.com . I have lots of friends come up from the states to visit and it's damn near mandatory to smuggle the heroin of beers to the Shackleford residence.

Also, does the forum ignore HTML?

2009 Apr 28
Rusty Shackleford - HTML... no doesn't work on this site (not such a bad thing... you get used to it). Fresh Foodie has his reasons... something about too many cooks stirring the pot.
;-)

I suggest that you read thru the HELP Section there is lots of info about the site there... as well everytime you wish to create an entry there is a prompt at the top of the input screen for "Text Formatting Help", this will open the HELP Page in another window, if you should forget the coding for things like Bold, Italics, Links, etc.

2009 Apr 30
It's a good day when there's a new beer at the LCBO. Such as today when I picked up a 6 pack of New Grist.

New Grist is the first beer brewed without malted barley or any gluten-containing products to be recognized as beer by the U.S. Government. Each batch brewed at Lakefront’s Milwaukee headquarters is tested for gluten prior to fermentation, before being bottled and shipped. The beer is now available for distribution nationwide in six packs of 12-ounce bottles.

It tastes ok but it does not taste much like beer. More like a cider or spritzer. It does have a bit of a beer mouthfeel in its favour though, as thin as it is.

It packs a bit of kick at 5.7% abv, and fills a niche market but I won't be buying it again.

www.newgrist.com/

2009 May 3
Am (currently) sipping the St. Ambroise Vintage Ale. Pretty good, if a little sweet, a little barley-wine-ish - perhaps due to its whopping 9.8% a/v. Its definitely no baseball park brew.

The container suggests cellaring a couple yrs, and while I'm no expert (and too lazy), i tend to think this might help mellow out the flavors and bring out its complexity.

Nonetheless, as it is right now, its interesting, drinkable and a bit dangerous. ;-)

Pours w/ a beautiful copper color, provides a very nice nose-scent, etc.

EDIT: Chimi -- did you drink your Vintage Ale? What'ya think?

2009 May 3
I did drink mine, found it tasty, though a bit sharp due to the strong alcoholic bite.

2009 May 6
I don't typically drink beer, though I did pickup one of Beau's Lugtreads last night. I hope it will expand my palate and at the very least it does come well recomended.

2009 May 7
I'd love one of these right now RIP lh5.ggpht.com

Generally,

www.walkervillebrew.com/

www.thebeerguy.ca

www.mcauslan.com/

www.chimay.com/

Kokanee if I'm out west but not the brewed in London, ON kind *pukes in mouth*

2009 Jul 3
bumping this thread - as I've discovered a new favorite (please point out a good place to post this - vendor maybe?)

Anyway LCBO in the Centrum carries St. Peters English Ale. This is a beautiful beer from the UK. It is very nicely hopped, and tastes to me more like a bitter or IPA than an tradition ale. It reminds me a bit of Sierra Nevada (oh to live in Chico!). Interestingly I checked their website and this beer is not listed - so I'm guessing its for export only. I don't think its being contract brewed. Its a bit pricey but definitely worth checking out if you like a well hopped beer.

2009 Jul 23
Bump!

The Rideau and King Edward LCBO has tons of Negra Modelo in stock right now. Not only that, but you get 7 bonus AirMiles with every six-pack. I may stock up.

2009 Jul 23
"The Man" has on occasion this summer drank a couple of Bud Lite Limes... he says they are refreshing (and light) certainly welcome on a hot day... but they can't compare with good old Corona with a slice of lime (beer to beer).

And what's up with some places not even serving them with a slice of lime? It seems hit and miss... The ads (pic attached) shows sliced limes with them... and "The Man" says he much prefers them with the added slice which gives a "fresher" zing.

2009 Jul 23
Just as an aside - the whole lime in beer thing had nothing to do with taste - they added the lime to keep the flies out of the bottle. (or so the urban legend goes). Bud light - shudder - bud light lime - double shudder -...

(sorry beer snob coming out - nothing personal against The Man).

2009 Jul 23
Sourdough - LOL, he's not a guy to drink lite beer at all (let alone Bud Lite) but he said this one served cold (really cold) on a hot (really hot) day ain't that bad.

Overall though he's still a Beau's guy thru & thru.

2009 Jul 23
The Bud Lite Lime reminds me of a beer Molson brewed over 20 years ago or so called Twist Shandy (am I the only one that remembers it?). I was in university at the time (read: novice beer drinker) and I really enjoyed it at the time. One of my university friends had just moved here from Grenada where, apparently, they make it "from scratch" and she said the bottled Molson variety comes nowhere near the real mccoy.

2009 Jul 23
Shandy is a popular English pub drink. Its a mix of beer, and lemonade (or lemon bar mix).

2009 Jul 23
I think a lot of country's have their version of a Shandy. In Germany, we call it a Alsterwasser (North) or Altser or Radler (German for cyclist...it's a common drink amongst hikers and bikers in the valley where I lived).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy

It doesn't surprise me at all the Molson bottled it and then it flopped in the mass market.

My German host brother loves cola mixed with beer...I don't understand it. Gimme a Beau's or a Mill Street Wit any old day (unless I'm in Cologne. Then it's a koelsch)

2009 Jul 23
My friend from Grenada mentioned that the shandy they made there had a combination of gingerale and lemonade in it in addition to beer.

Someone at my office lived in London for awhile and she once told me in the UK you can order cider which is a type of beer not a wine.

2009 Jul 23
You can order cider here too Pasta Lover!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider

Strongbow and Blackthorn are the most commonly found, but I have, on occassion, come across Thatchers, which is my favourite.

2009 Jul 23
lady who brunches thanks for the info. I love beer I just don't drink it too often. I prefer micro brews - they taste so much better IMO - but I do like some imported beers and I am always willing to keep an open mind. I was curious about the cider though. I grew up in Quebec and the ciders available there are a type of wine. Now I will have to try the beer-;)

2009 Jul 23
Pasta Lover - I used to drink Cider when I was a youngin back in my College Days in Montreal (Quebec makes pretty good cider... seeing as they have all those apples).

Now that I am a wine drinker I don't drink cider very often (but have GFs who still love the stuff). Whenever I get down Picton way I try to remember to have a glass of County Cider or Waupoos Cider which are both excellent offerings from the County Cider Company www.countycider.com and their wares can be found in most Pubs etc. in PE County. Their Cidery (and Estate Winery) sits atop a hill with one of the prettiest views of Lake Ontario in the whole region.

2009 Jul 23
if bid light lime is served anything but ice cold it tastes like sunlight dishsoap

i am on this raspberry beer right now, it comes in a brown bottle with a cork and is pricey at about $4.75 a bottle, but it sure is yummy. kind of a vibrant sour/tart thing, not musty like the strawberry beer.

2009 Jul 23
sweets, I imagine that's because the lime in it is "natural flavouring" and not limited to lime juice, among other things.

The raspberry beer...comes in a champagne style bottle, n'est pas vrai? I can't remember what it's called, but I plan on drinking some this weekend.

2009 Jul 24
Ha - I remember Molson's Twist shandy - they were different, especially since I had real ones while in the UK. We also used to make them and were way better than the bottled version.
Waupoos cider is very yummy and is available at the LCBO (do a search to get the specific stores). I too am drinking a raspberry beer currently. It is an American microbrew from Southern Tier.

2009 Jul 24
The raspberry beer: Mort Subite Framboise, perhaps?

And I can vouch for Waupoos cider, as well. Delish.

2009 Jul 24
Bug Light Lime? Corona? I thought we were talking about beer ...

2009 Jul 24
big lols to zymurgist

Yes the raspberry beer is indeed the Mort Subite Framboise... a.k.a my love!!! LWB you'll love it, it's so girly and delicious.

I also grabbed a couple bottles of another raspberry beer that I spotted (I am a sales rep for an alcohol company so I spend lots of time in LCBO's), it comes in a six pack and is a wheat beer made in New York. I had one tonight and I am not that impressed, compared to thye Mort Subite it is VERY light, not a whole lot of flavour and almost watery. This is disappointing because the Mort Subite is almost $5 a bottle :S while the wheat beer is $2.10 a bottle. In this case you get what you pay for.

2009 Jul 24
You also might want to head across the river and search out Unibroue's Ephemere Framboise. They are always switching up their fruits, so I don't know if it's currently available but it's stronger than the Southern Tier wheat beer (the New York one you had). If you like black currant, they also have the Ephemere Cassis. I picked up some at La Trappe a Fromage a week or two ago, so I know that it's around. Either one would be much less expensive than Mort Subite, though not exactly the same.

2009 Jul 25
Trois Pistoles
Heritage Lager
Mill St Organic Lager
Tsing Tao

2009 Jul 25
Tonight will be Propeller Pale Ale and Bitter

The other day I enjoyed their IPA, Porter and Honey Wheat as well.

Not a big fan of the Bitter, but the rest of them are simply fantastic. Sure wish we could get them in Ottawa

2009 Jul 25
Propellor ESB is coming to the LCBO later this summer supposedly. I assume this is the Bitter you're not so fond of - hopefully they will be getting others at some point. Last summer they had the Pump House Blueberry from New Brunswick and this year they have both the Blueberry and Red Ale, so maybe they're testing the waters and will expand their selection. Nice to see more beer from other Canadian provinces.

2009 Jul 25
Just checked the label, and yes, it does say "Extra Special" in rather small print, and then "Bitter" in huge print.

I'm drinking one right now - but again it is my least-favorite of the bunch, and probably the least-mass-marketable. Mind you, I think it would probably be the one of the lot most marketable to my brewer friends.

I find it a bit acrid/hoppy for an ESB. By my memory, ESB --> Pale Ale --> IPA is supposed to be a continuum of the same basic beer, getting darker, hoppier, and more alcoholic as you go along. Propeller's PA and IPA seem to do this, but the ESB is out of place and almost fits in on the far side of IPA.

2009 Jul 26
"The Man" went to the LCBO World of Beer event yesterday and bought the following:

* Svyturys 1784 - Ekstra (5.2% - 500 ml) from Lithuania
* Ochakovo Premimum Lager (4.5% - 500 ml) from Russia... unique pull tab bottle top
* Harviestoun - Bitter & Twisted Blond Beer (4.2% - 500 ml) from Scotland
* Duchy Originals - Organic Ale (5.0% - 500 ml) from Great Britian

The last one comes in a really cool bottle (at least by my standards... heavier weight & seems darker in colour) and the labelling says it includes Barley from selected organic farms including the "Home Farm at Highgrove" and that "Profits from the sale of this beer are donated to the Prince of Wales Charitable Foundation". All very interesting.

Will keep you posted as to his findings as they are consumed.

2009 Jul 27
I am a big fan of the German and Austrian beers.
Most of the time they are harder to get and more expensive
they are worth it. The only thing is I can not drink more than 2 otherwise I would be hammered cause they are so strong.

2009 Jul 27
German and Austrian beers aren't stronger than North American, Belgian, Mexican, or any other beer. Beer, generally speaking, has an alcohol content of 4-6% by volume, and while it can be as high as 20% that has nothing to do with its country of origin.

I always find it interesting when people (not limited to New User 1599) refer to the country of origin whose beer they most enjoy, rather than the type of beer (dark lager, wheat beer, ale, etc). I promise you that if you were to try ten beers from anyone nation, there would be some you loved and some you couldn't stand.

2009 Jul 27
You can't really put an ESB on a Pale Ale - IPA continuum. Certainly an ESB will be closer to IPA in terms of it being a "big" beer, but it is to a Bitter what an IPA is to a Pale Ale. Relatively high alcohol with an emphasis on fruity malt and, most importantly, balance.

2009 Jul 27
Well, according to the current BJCP guidelines ( www.bjcp.org ), ESB and Pale Ale are one and the same.

Not that I necessarily agree with their new revised 2008 guidelines - honestly I think they've lost their way with what they are doing.

Anyway, I think my confusion was that until someone here had pointed it out, I never noticed that this was billed as an "Extra Special" Bitter, because "Extra Special" was in very small print. So I'd been thinking of it as an Ordinary Bitter.

I still put Bitters and Pale Ales on the same continuum, based on ingredients and how they are brewed.

2009 Jul 27
That style definition is nonsense. A Pale Ale is a bottled Bitter, an ESB is a brewery's premium bitter, usually bigger than their regular cask ale. In North America, ESBs are almost exclusively based on Fuller's ESB. For the BJCP to simply dismiss that as irrelevant is bizarre.

2009 Jul 28
Was in a rush, ran into the Beer store. First thing I noticed is a 12 pack of Ricards white. I was happy because I thought it only came in a mixer pack on the Quebexico side. Well to my horror I got home and realized I bought a 12 pack of Alexandre Keiths White. Blech!!! Aweful stuff. No real semblance to what I consider a white beer. It's just like unfiltered regular Keiths. Dirty Keiths.

And here is a confession. On my recent trip to the USA, beer choices were slim. So I decided on the king of beers. And was pleasantly surprised. I dunno if it was the fresh seaside air, but first time I have enjoyed it. US Bud is definitely better than the Canuck version. And hard to argue with 17$ for 35 cans.

2009 Jul 29
last beer was Beau's
been back on Atkins last few days so no more beer :S
for a while at least

2009 Jul 29
Rickards - Molsons + food colouring
Keith's - Labatts + food colouring
(I guess the white is no colouring - extra rice, I'd be very curious to see how much wheat vs. rice is used for this beer)

Sorry - just can't stand either of these two or the way they attempt to market themselves as some kind of micro.

2009 Jul 29
I call it "gravy browning", personally :-) But yeah, that is basically what Rickards is.

Keith's not so much. Not that it is really a great beer or anything, but it does have some ale flavour whereas Labatt Blue (assuming you meant Blue) does not.

About 8 years ago the brewmaster told me they use 5% rice IIRC.

Poor Alexander Keith must be rolling over in his grave with what they put his name on these days.

When I was in NS last week I complained at the checkout that they did not have a single NS beer in the cooler. I was hoping one of the employees would bite and mention Keith's but they didn't :-)

2009 Jul 29
Rickard's White is actually a passable attempt at the style, surprisingly so when give Molson's target consumer. Sure, it lacks the spice that makes a wit a wit, but it's got a body and wheat flavour that certainly help it. I can't rip into a macro brewery for producing a quality beer, and while not at the top of the class by any means, Rickard's White is relatively flavourful and on-style.

2009 Jul 29
I'll just point out at this time that Keith's Stout=poop. Horrible. Not recommended AT ALL.

2009 Jul 31
Bought some Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA today, looking forward to sampling that tomorrow.

2009 Aug 1
Yesterday morning I got on the bus and a guy got on at the next stop with a bag full of malt liquor and just stinking of booze. And sure enough one of his bottles of malt liquor was almost empty - screw on cap in place of course.

Breakfast of Champions!

2009 Aug 1
Noting beats a cold bottle of Red Stripe Beer. a friend of mine purchase it on www.jamaicanflavour.com- most refreshing

2009 Aug 2
Guiness and only Guiness for me - has to be on tap or in the can (the bottled Guiness is gross - don't know why)

BUT - when the guys are in the hay field they often send ME to get beer and because I know little or nothing about the taste of beer, I go for weird names and bottles. The boys never know what they are going to drink as a thirst quencher when i get back to the field...
BUT their experiences are broadening and I am having a lot of fun as they either curse me or exclaim in surprise how a beer they never heard of tastes good (or really bad-lol)!!? My husband now loves Mickey's beer, Yankee Jim, The three stooges (while it was out) and a few others.
Try to make life fun when you can and grab hold of it-eh?.

2009 Aug 2
Don't know if it is still the case but bottled Guiness used to be brewed locally by Labatt. Canned and on tap was the real thing.

2009 Aug 2
I have to say, I like Red Stripe, but find it a bit difficult to find here. That said. ahemshillahem. Sorry, I have a cough.

2009 Aug 2
Lady Who Brunches - I saw Red Stripe last weekend at the LCBO World of Beer event... don't think they carry it regularly though.

Diana - Hmmmm, wonder how this is possible? Selling / Purchasing Imported Beer in Ontario other than thru the LCBO or the Beer Store is illegal as far as I know.

2009 Aug 2
Steelback Premium Lager

Note this is the NEW Steelback. New owners as of about 2 years ago.

I have no idea why they did not change the name of the brewery when they bought it back then, because Steelback used to make some of the most vile beers in existence. They were not even all-grain beers - they were made with extract. But the new owners bought the additional equipment to make proper beers, and stuck it out. Though sadly I saw in the news today they are in financial difficulty - too bad. I'd bet my next paycheque they'd have been better off changing the name ...

2009 Aug 2
Zym - funny you note that, I had a Steelback a little under a year ago and it actually shocked me since it tasted nothing like the Steelback of owners-past.

I'm enjoying some ales I brought back from the UK. Will post details later.

2009 Aug 2
i can't tell if that Red Stripe post is a joke (?) but it's readily available at any Beer Store or LCBO in the city.

zym - agreed they should have changed the name. i just read the Steelback wikipedia entry and although there was an ownership change, it looks like it was just the son of one of the original owners (not Frank D'Angelo, another investor).

it's funny...despite their intense marketing blitz, i don't think i've ever had a Steelback or even seen anyone drink one before.

2009 Aug 2
the red stripe post reminds me of the last beer down my gullet(night before), another Jamaican brew -- Dragon Stout.

A caramel, burnt coffee and chocolate taste, probably too sweet for more than one or two, but i like the occasional after dinner pour. If www.jamaicanflavour.com delivers and picks up the empties (ala netflix), i'd joyously partake in this treasonous activity.

2009 Aug 2
I just recently tried Negra Modelo (a mexican beer, stout?). Very nice, rich enough to be full of flavour yet not too astringent/bitter for my liking. It is at the perfect point for my personal enjoyment. It's now my favorite Mexican beer. :)

2009 Aug 2
Jag - Negra Modelo is a dark/amber lager, I think, and if you enjoy it you would probably also like Waterloo Dark!

2009 Aug 2
Speaking of stouts, I am now drinking some of my Cherry Stout!

I'm being interviewed tomorrow by CBC radio for a segment they are doing on frugal living (Ottawa Morning). I have to send her away with some of my beer to try on the air Tuesday morning when they play the segment, and this is all I have right now! I'm also sending her away with some cherry mead since this stout is not really for everyone :-)

2009 Aug 2
Thanks Chimichimi; I am new to the world of beer and have trained myself into thinking that all lagers are american-style coloured water. I will try Waterloo Dark sometime in the near future.

2009 Aug 2
Waterloo Dark is FANTASTIC!!! One of my favorite beers, and one of the reasons I bought a bunch of stock on the company. Just finished my last one today.

I love their ads ... "Don't be afraid of the Dark" :-)

2009 Aug 2
Zym, you have a sense of what time CBC / OM will be playing your segment?

and yes, i agree w/ the Waterloo Dark ... its not my everyday go-to beer, but i'm happy a happy guy when i do.

2009 Aug 2
Not sure what time - I've only been told that it will be Tuesday morning. But if she keeps putting it off, maybe not after all :-)

I'll post a note if I find out tomorrow. She is coming over at 5pm

2009 Aug 4
Victory Prima Pils is in a few local LCBOs, pick some up. One of, if not the very best pilsners on the market.

2010 May 23
it's about time this thread got bumped...

picked up a few 'Stuart's Natural Session Ale' brewed by Scotch-Irish. true to its name, it's a perfect light session beer fit for a summer day. bottle notes that it's brewed in Lanark, ON (?!) but i thought they were part of Heritage. anyhow, it's good stuff. oh..and my girlfriend likes the cute dog on the stubby bottles ;)

has anyone tried Gaffel Kolsch? haven't spotted any at my local LCBOs but i saw the name in the Summer 2010 Beer Releases list on drinkvine and it piqued my interest...

2010 May 23
London Porter
Abbot ale
Amsterdam nut brown
Rickard's dark
Keith's dark
Mill St. Tankhouse
Beau's Lugtread
Guinness
Caffrey's
Kilkenny
Young's double chocolate stout

2010 May 23
Monty, Kölsch is one of my favourite beers. To be perfectly honest, I don't remember if it was Gaffel that I drank when I lived in Germany, but I'm quite excited by the prospect of finding kölsch back in Ottawa.

ETA: As of May 20, the Rideau/ King Edward location had 81 bottles. I'm going to acquire some on Tuesday, me thinks.

2010 May 24
The Gaffel is good. Do a Beau's side-by-side, the folks in Vankleek Hill did their homework.

Also, pick up the Schneider Edel-Weisse in the green bottle if you see it, it's brilliant.

I'm stocked up with Creemore Keller, Hoptical Illusion, and a few bottles of Samuel Smith's Raspberry Ale.

2010 May 24
I tried the Hoptical Illusion this weekend and am "really digging it" :) It reminds me of Sierra Nevada - just a bit less hop. Yummmm.

I saw some chatter on bar towel about great lakes brewery and how they have some well hopped beers. I always thought they were just a cheap contract brewer - I guess I'm mistaken? Anyone seen their beers and tried them?

2010 May 24
Creemore UrBock. Num.

2010 May 24
Sourdough, Great Lakes produces some winners. Their Devil's Pale Ale (black can with a 666 on it) is a nice Canadian pale ale, a regular in my fridge. Their seasonals are hit and miss. Their Pumkin Ale is decent, Winter Ale is good, and Canuck Pale Ale is very nice from what I recall. Nothing wrong with them.

2010 May 24
I had a raspberry wheat ale with the birthday dinner I just had (sorry-at home now and can't remember the brew company). It was good with food but I don't think I would want more than one because it was quite sweet.

2010 May 24
Ya, nice of you to bring up the beer-drinking page, monty. I am presently drinking a Chimay, had a couple Barley Days Wind and Sail, I think, better than last year's version - see they have a new brewmaster working some magic there, have to try some more of their brews. My dd is visiting - first time I've seen her in 2 years - she gave me an early Father's Day prez - a bottle of Harviestoun Ola Duhb; I guess I'll drink it then - looking forward to that. Did anyone see it in Ontario this winter - the LCBO said they were bringing some in but I never saw it, just wondering if I missed it or they lied. It's aged in 40 year old single malt casks. Reminds me, last night we cracked a bottle of Oban Distiller's Reserve single malt, aged in 20 year old sherry casks - OMG! Trouble is you have to go to the distillery to get it. Guess I'll stick with good old Canuckie beer. I have to hit the beer/liquor store tomorrow to lay in more beer to keep ds-i-l happy so he won't drink up the Oban and we have a decent amount left here! Back to the Chimay and hockey...
Cheers!
Andy

2010 May 24
With the new delivery I have not had time to replenish my stockpiles, so I've been "brewing" a lot of Festa kits

www.magnotta.com/Festabrew/

Right now enjoying a Cream Ale. Just put a Continental Pilsener on to ferment a bit earlier today.

It is more expensive than doing it myself, but the wort is as good as my wort. This is not those cans of syrup, it is 23 litres of high quality unconcentrated beer wort exactly like what I would normally make myself, in every regard. And of course it is WAY quicker than DIY. 20 minutes instead of 6 hours.

The nifty thing about this line of kits is that Magnotta also sells "the real thing" in the beer store, under the "True North" brand. Very good beer whether you buy it at the beer store, or ferment it yourself at home.

2010 May 25
Andy, yep both Ola dubhs were in this past winter. They were cleaned out the day they arrived. Another shipment came in after that and I saw a few of them sitting on a shelf at Rideau for awhile. Very good stuff.

2010 May 25
Anything I can get my hands on?

2010 May 25
my favourites are: la fin du monde, maudite & hobgoblin. sometimes i will go for a hoegaarden depending on my mood.

2010 May 25
I have to agree with Woten - when have you had a bad beer?? Its summer and I haul out the Mickeys !! Its a mini version of the Big Green Egg ;-)

2010 May 25
Oi! I had that Mickey's once - and it was definitely in the "bad beer" category. It was nasty.

2010 May 25
Oh yeah there is definitely bad beer. Stay away from clear bottles and green bottles. If you don't believe put one in the sun for a day. SKUNK!

2010 May 26
Just picked up a couple of Innis & Gunn Limited Edition Canadian Cask Oak Aged, absolutely delicious. Get them while you still can, they run out quickly every year.

2011 Oct 31
Reviving this old thread because I've discovered an awesome beer from BC. LCBO is now carrying Tree Brewing's Hop Head IPA. Fantastic beer! Very similar to Sierra Nevada which I also love. Give it a try if you are a hop head like myself.

I saw Flying Monkey Smash Bomb IPA, gotta give that a try sometime.

2011 Oct 31
If you like IPAs I'd also recommend Central City Red Racer, which is another BC beer that is carried at the LCBO. Unfortunately it is not carried very consistently or distributed widely, so grab it if you see it.

Muskoka Mad Tom is an IPA from Ontario that I like. Dieu du Ciel Corne du Diable is a good Quebec IPA.

2011 Oct 31
sourdough an lcbo search shows none in Ottawa, Kemptville or TO. Are you seeing things again???
Just like to mention that Innis & Gunn's rum cask aged beer is unusually interesting and tasty and a fine late evening post dinner treat - I trust them to messing with beer in a good way. From Scotland. Pity.

2011 Nov 1
Andy - I got mine on Friday from the Kanata LCBO. It looked like they had a good supply at the time. I'll post if I see it again but maybe drop by if you are close by.

2011 Nov 1
No Beau's in Kemptville today - they say that they had some but gone quickly and are having supply issues while Beau's apparently expands production facilities. Meanwhile I'll make do with what I have, including something called Dominus Vobiscum, something I've yet to try; that reminds me, I got it last week at lcbo ottawa south, no Beau's there that night

2011 Nov 1
Flying Monkey's Smash Bomb IPA, picked up by my SO while she was in Toronto a few weeks back.

I am also slowly drinking Southern Tier's Pack of Pales . I also picked up 60 Minute IPA from dogfish brewery and some St-Rogue Red.
All of these I picked up in New York while I was there about a month ago.

I'll be sad when it's all gone.

2011 Nov 1
Good choice with Dominus Vobiscum, it is well worth it.

2011 Nov 1
So many good IPAs now... I second the Central City f you are out in BC. Mad Tom, Mill Street, Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion. I will be searching out the Dieu du Ciel I think

2011 Nov 1
Did I miss a Mill St. IPA? I'm still quite fond of the Southern Tier IPA and I like the Southern Tier 2XIPA even better. I don't know if it's still at the LCBO but the Garrison Imperial IPA from NS is great too.

As for what I'm drinking now, it's the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest and I find it's alright although I wouldn't chase after it..

2011 Nov 2
Oh, now I see this thread. I just tonight finished the last of the beers that were opened at my second stouts and porters tasting last Friday. Jagash was there. :)

In increasing order of quality - most found at BroueHaha, some at Omni, a couple at LCBO:
- three middling brews from Du Hameau (Johnny Fais-moi-Malt, Zeppelin Raspberry and Ramdham Orange peel) (all could be so much more than what they are) (BroueHaHa)
- La Corriveau from le Bilboquet. Not as good or as punchy as the first time last February, but it could be because of what came before and after.
- Vache Folle Imperial Milk stout, always a pleaser for me, but not for everyone's tastes (BroueHaHa)
- Innis & Gunn rum cask scotch ale, indeed some fun things happening here (LCBO, Jagash's contribution)

And all of these were fantastic:
- Le Bilboquet's MacKroken Flower Grande Réserve, scotch ale with honey aged an additional 4 months in oak barrels (Omni)
- Dominus Vobiscum Triple from Charlevoix, what seems an excellent Abbey trippel (LCBO, Jagash's contribution)
- Chocolate-raspberry sweet stout from Multi-brasses, as balanced and tasty as we remembered from last February (BroueHaHa)
- Choklat Imperial Stout from Southern Tier - does not mess around with the chocolate (LCBO)
- St-Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout 2011, not as kapow-y as the 2010 but more than enough to hold its own

And the night's clear winner, as in "oh sweet lord I need to get me more of this":
- Porter Baltique Grande Cuvée 2011 from Trois Mousquetaires - it's almost indescribably good, excellent smooth taste, extraordinarily clean finish, has sour as an art form, quite pleasant, and smelling all of its 10% and making you not care one whit. Highly recommended. (BroueHaHa)