Newbie - introducing myself, one quick question [General]

2007 Feb 1
Hi everyone!

Just joined, but I have been lurking for awhile - what a great site!

I am wondering if anyone can help me - I'd like to find a grocer that specializes in Mexican food - does such a thing exist in Ottawa?

Thanks for your help!

2007 Feb 1
Hi and welcome! You ask a really good question, and I'm curious to see if anyone knows of a place. My best-guess suggestion would be to try somewhere that carries Caribbean groceries, like Grace (Grace Ottawa ). Or you could try asking at a Mexican restaurant. :)

2007 Feb 1
There's a latin market attached to La Cabana restaurant on Merivale. It's a Salvadorean restaurant, not Mexican, but you may be able to find some harder-to-find authentic latin ingredients there that are comparable to what you might use in mexican cooking...

2007 Feb 1
There is store called Latin America on Somerset in China Town??? I know.... but it may have what you are looking for.

2007 Feb 2
Go to the Mercado Latino on Montreal road.

2007 Feb 3
Somebody here was just kind enough to tip me off to:

"La Tiendita - 613-761-6647 848C Merivale Road, Ottawa, ON K1Z 5Z4 (it's near Westgate/Carling ave)

this is the place that sells tortilla gorda, queso fresco, chiles, tomatillos, corn husks for tamales from time to time, prepared mole sauce, etc..."

...which turns out to be the same one recommended by FOOD is HOT! I'll post details when I go, hopefully.

2007 Feb 4
There's also a store in China Town on Somerset that carries all kinds of Mexican, Cuban etc...specialties including queso fresco, guava paste, (they go great together), spices, and other things that you don't normally find in the regular grocery. I picked up a tortilla press for my bf's mom there. They also carry a selection of Spanish language movies to rent.

I was sure it was called La Tiendita as well, maybe they moved?

2007 Feb 4
One of the Mexican kids in my class just seconded Mercado Latino on Montreal road.