Valentines @ home [General]

2009 Feb 13
Anyone else cooking at home rather than going out? We generaly ignore the holiday but are using it as an excuse this year to buy something we don't get too often for price reasons.

I'm thinking something with lobster and sea scallops, maybe a few oysters to start. I'm a little uninspired at the moment as to what with it though. Maybe some home made pasta with a buttery sauce.

Or I could make a bouillabaisse or another fancy seafood stew using some "prime" ingrediants.

Any other thoughts for slightly more expensive or not every day foods for a nice dinner at home?

2009 Feb 13
we will be at a little cabin in the wood's, eating by a log fire. we keep things fairly simple and quick to prepare since we will have spent the day outdoors snowshoeing and skiing. there will be a group of us, so not too romantic.

sparkling wine
- some kind of appetizer, still not sure....

wine, cheese fondue served with bread, cooked baby potatoes, lightly steamed green beans, pears and green apples.

port, mini chocolate pots served with orange polenta cookies (recipe for both is from jamie oliver)

later in the evening we will play cards and have parmesan cheese & black pepper popcorn (recipe from the latest food & drink). the girls will most likely drink sparkling wine with this, while the men drink beer or whiskey.

2009 Feb 13
You could always sear off some foie gras. Two people's worth is ridiculously affordable if it's for an appy-sized portion. Throw it on top of a crouton of some sort, add a sauce, and you're laughing.

Speaking of which: Icewine. Icewine Icewine Icewine. Is it obvious? Sure. Is it played? Maybe. But I have this huge pile of Icewine in my cellar that I never drink, so why not break some out for the occasion?

Chocolate paired with Stratus's Red offering (made with a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah) is heavenly. And it's available at LCBOs now, too, in the Vintages section.

2009 Feb 13
I've never had foie gras, I did a little googling, looks interesting. Lots of debates about the ethics of it and such too. I see Mariposa sells it so I'll keep that in mind after more reading and seeing what the wife thinks.

hipfunkyfun, that sounds like fun, we were planning some hiking too. I just came back from a hike and the well traveled trails are icey but nicely packed.

2009 Feb 13
For the last couple of years we've been celebrating Valentines with another couple... it's a lot of fun, and considerably cheaper than doing something similar at a very crowded restaurant (given the quality). This way we still get to celebrate "on the day" but without a lot of the hassle.

We'll be kicking it off with a bottle of good French Champagne I've been saving (picked it up for about 1/2 the CDN price in NH over the summer vacation), served with some nice little appy finger food. There will be a salad. And the main is surf & turf (a nice cut of meat for the BarB and some Alaskan King Crab), some sort of potatoe dish for the side, and fresh asparagus (holondaise?). A very expensive red wine will no doubt come out of the wine cellar as an accompaniment. For dessert I'm thinking cheesecake with icewine... and no doubt there will be a chocolate thrown into the mix for good measure!

As you can tell I'm still working the kinks out the menu. LOL
But if past years are any indication things should turn out swimmingly.

2009 Feb 13
F&T - I would think that since it will be Valentine's day, that you would want to work the kink INTO the menu ;)

2009 Feb 14
LOL @ Chimichimi.

We did a really yummy phyllo wrapped chicken, with sundried tomato pesto and goat cheese, and a pasta side, which pretty much just pasta with lots of butter, garlic, mushrooms and padano cheese.

Dessert was chocolate fondue with lots of yummy fruits and pound cake. Wine was something nice and new out the Vintages section, but I'm don't recall the name.

We went for a skate on the canal between dinner and dessert, which was possible the worst part of the evening: Anyone find that the ice is super choppy this weekend?

2009 Feb 15
Lady who Brunches:

Good to know that the canal isn't good right now, I was thinking of heading there later today.

Your dinner sounds delicious!

2009 Feb 15
They show the approx ice conditions on the website here:

www.canadascapital.gc.ca

Valentines -

Lobster brunch, lively and healthy looking from Uni, $9.99/lb, about 1.5/lbs each.

Dinner was a seafood alfredo, using some lobster broth for the cream sauce, home made noodles.