Looking for fresh figs. [General]

2009 Feb 12
OK O.F's, you have helped me find several things, this weeks request is to help me find fresh figs in this city. Been to all the usual Produce Depot, Farmboys etc etc. Can not find them anywhere.

Anybody got any leads?

2009 Feb 12
Figs can usually be found at Produce Depot or Costco when they are in season. You can buy whole boxes or trays at PD at a discounted rate if you talk to the manager.

2009 Feb 12
I guess they are typically only available in season then? This is the first time I have tried to buy them, so I really have no idea.....

2009 Feb 12
I have usually seen them at Produce Depot on Carling but have you tried the fruit and veg shop(can't remember the name) in the market on the same strip as Sasalov's and the International Cheese shop? They usually have every kind of produce available.

2009 Feb 12
Pan Bagnat, it's called the Byward Fruit Market (not to be confused with the Fresh Fruit Market at the corner), they should have some, as they usually do. Otherwise, I would try Herb + Spice(either location)

2009 Feb 12
I would also try St Laurent Produce on Belfast
Ayoub's on Somerset
Boushey's on Elgin

2009 Feb 12
Herb and Spice for sure. Have also seen them several times in the Farmboy at Merivale Mall.

2009 Feb 13
I've seen them at Nicastros on Merivale. I don't think they're in season now. In season, I've seen them for sale by people who grow trees and have a large harvest - usually residential neighborhoods, and they have signs up in front of their houses. I've definitely seen a sign driving down Prince of Wales drive.

(alas, my baby fig tree only gave me one fig this year, and two last year)...

2009 Feb 14
rdmsgirl are you implying that fig trees can bear fruit here? i was mention this to friends who live in germany, who own a marvelous fig tree, and they may try to find one for us for a wedding gift, but i wasn't aware they bore fruit :) that makes my day!

2009 Feb 16
Yes, fig trees can bear fruit here - my baby fig tree came from a friend's mom's tree. That tree was smuggled into Ottawa from Italy many years ago, and it now bears about 100 fruit in a good season (I had to see it in person to believe it). If I can get a pic, i'll post it. :)

Also, while I am the farthest thing from a garden expert, from what I have researched - only certain varieties of fig trees can bear fruit in our Zone. And in order to bear fruit, I believe all varieties must "hibernate" in winter (my little tree is wrapped up in the garage under tons of old blankets and towels)

2009 Feb 18
Wow, interesting topic. I too had no idea that a fig tree could bear fruit in this climate... if I didn't have such a "black (and shriveled up)" thumb I might consider this as a gardening project.

2009 Feb 20
Food&Think, no one has a blacker thumb than I do. I consider it a challenge every year to try and get only one fig off of my tree, but it's a pretty little thing so it really doesn't matter. You should really consider trying this as a project, if you can get your hands on a fruit bearing variety. :) Keep in mind that conditions have to be just right to bear fruit - that usually means a summer with lots of heat and sunshine, and a decent period of spring weather during which the tree breaks hibernation.