Hot Sauce Lovers [General]

2009 Feb 11
Ottawa's newest line of gourmet hot sauces, this company is new on the market and offer a variety of island spiced hot sauces from very hot to very mild hot sauces. All the product of this company is locally produced in ottawa ontario islandspiced.com is the website these sauces are sold in many stores in the city of ottawa. These sauces are not just the regular hot sauces they are hot and flavourfl. Please visit the website to find which store is carrying these sauces in your area of the city

website is www.islandspiced.com

2009 Feb 11
5 bucks for a 5oz bottle .... It's 100% more expensive than my current local fave ... Mugena's Pepper Sauce at $5.99/12oz.
See ---> Fumi's African Caribbean Restaurant <---

I wonder if it is 100% better than Mugena's ?

I'll have to come out to a farmers market and do the taste test. I'll even bring my Mugena's for a true 'Pepsi Challange'.

2009 Feb 11
Captain Caper, definitely not avaiable at Farmers Markets, but rather at stores across the city, including Savannah and @ Home on Bank Street.

2009 Feb 11
OK.. I'm not going to spring for a whole bottle unless someone here at Ottawa Foodies give it a 'glowing' review. (and hopefully tastes it side by side with Mugena's).

I want to avoid having yet another hot sauce bottle in my collection that I do not use.

2009 Feb 11
bah!
i have 32 hot sauces in my fridge door and I always grab for Dave's Afterdeath or my own

my partner picked me up a bottle of labeled: "World's Hottestg F-in' Sauce" made from habaneros, an African pepper I am still doing research on and Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.....not bad when I want a singe your soul heat

I still prefer my own "caramelized garlic SHUT DOWN LONDON" hot sauce or my trifecta (Scotch Bonnet, Thai chilis and chiplote and based on a orange dried fruit I love)

I promised my partner that if by the beginning of summer if I have not used a particular hot sauce, I will chuck it so there is room for the other condiments that take up so much room on the glass shelves

LOL, at one point, "it's the Fermented tofu or the Beer...take your pick"

2009 Feb 11
Obi - I hear you on the precious room in the fridge debate, I think you've prompted another topic.

2009 Feb 11
I dont know whats so "Gourmet" about caramel food colour...

2009 Feb 12
OK so it's not much of a "hot" sauce but where can I get Cholula in this city? I much prefer it to Tabasco.

2009 Feb 12
Ahh Cholula... you can find it at most of the latin grocers, I think Mercado Latino and La Tiendita have it. I thought I saw it at one of the major grocery chains here in Ottawa as well, but I could be confusing that with a grocery store south of the border... or maybe Produce Depot. I forget. Best bet - check La Tiendita or Mercado Latino. Cholula is awesome on eggs.

2009 Feb 12
Thanks chimi. I had a feeling you'd be the one to know. Cholula was sold at Loblaws at one point but I haven't seen it around in awhile (same w/ Tim Tams but that's another story!)

I'll check La Tiendita. I'm embarassed to say I've never been there, or La Cabana, even though I live in the vicinity.

2009 Feb 12
I think I saw Cholula at Mugena's. If not, they do have other bottles of caramel food color. Here is their contact info if you want to check with them:

Telephone:(613) 722-8228
Fax.:(613) 722-5853
E-Mail:info@mugena.ca
Web:www.mugena.ca

And if you make it to La Tiendita/La Cabana, you can always order some papusas (Pupusa) for take-out and they'll be (almost) ready when your shopping is done. If you are more adventurous, youcould also try their tripe soup (Sopa mondongo) or cow's foot soup (Sopa de pata).... both are real 'hits' with the local El Salvadorian crowd.

PS:Did Da Butcher make his entry based on the fact that Chef Carlton's Island Spiced Hot Sauce contains carmel color (as see from Chef Carlton's Website)???

2009 Feb 12
Thanks CC

Are you sure it was Cholula, the hot sauce? It's like the Mexican equivalent of Tabasco. In fact I've pulled a 'Captain Caper' and included a photo for your viewing pleasure.

Not sure if you're referring to Butcher's post re: caramel food colour...

2009 Feb 12
Brain fart !

2009 Feb 12
Eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Captain C - Good thing that doesn't happen too often... I get what you mean about all those hot peppers in your diet!
;-)

2009 Feb 12
Monty, to follow-up on Chimi's mentions, i can confirm Produce Depot has Cholula.

2009 Feb 12
Ohhhhhh ... Cholula.

I had it at various Taquerias, in San Fran, including the (in)famous Taqueria CanCun.

I preferred the El Yucateco hot sauce ... less vinagery and it packs a wollop.

(Note to traverlers: Although the Mission Distict has the best Taquerias, I had to taxi out of there, after dark, once. The Mission got really really scary at night.)

2009 Feb 12
... and for those who want to see what El Yucateco looks like, here is the (most common) habanero variety.

2009 Feb 12
Ahh El Yucateca... it's a different flavour though with Cholula, they use pibil and arbol peppers, and that's it. El Yucateca has different types of sauces habanero, jalapeno, chipotle, etc.

I would have loved to take home the hot sauce I had in a small market in Quintana Roo, they served it in a mocahete and it was the only food item on the table that flies were totally repulsed by. They would land on anything BUT the hot sauce, and yes, it was f'ing hot, liquid bowel cleanser (with really good flavour, surprisingly).

2009 Feb 13
Man, that El Yucateco is wild. I'm not a total hot sauce addict, but I do like the kick it gives to chili con carne.

2009 Feb 15
thanks chimi and itchy - found the Cholula at Produce Depot ($4.79?)

they didn't have any at La Tiendita, but I picked up some other neat stuff

2009 Feb 15
Okay, I just got smoked with the Valentines day wrath. ahhh its over, finally. (im in the hospitality industry)
Yes to the caramel color comment. I don't think it is neccecery to hide what you've created with food coloring unless that is your making xmas cookies or Easter eggs with the kids!
How bout the good ole valentina sauce? Me gusta mucho!
Im a hot sauce freak and am all ways making new ones. I making date/habenero mustard now! ahhh, It hurts soo good!

2009 Apr 23
bumping this

i bought some Valentina today at a Loeb in Orleans of all places. good stuff and a steal at $1.50!

2009 Apr 23
I should chime in on this topic and say that I purchased a bottle of Chef Carlton's Island Spiced sauce (the "Hot" one, priced at $2.99 at Rainbow Foods) a few months back.

Caramel colour and all, I have to say I found it to be flavourful with a nice complexity to it. I think it tastes like Jerk Salsa would, if such a thing existed. ;-)

2009 Apr 23
jerk salsa?
it does exist
lol

2009 Apr 27
There's a guy that sells his home made hot sauce at the Carp Market which is some of the best I've tasted for it's unique flavour profile and such widely varying degrees of hotness. They also aren't overloaded with sugar. Next time I head out there for a bacon sandwich, which just made my mouth water, I'll check him out and let everyone know his name.

2009 Apr 27
Those are the Chamomile Desjardins hot sauces...

2009 Apr 27
Respect.