New Website in Ottawa with food specials. [Food/Vendor]

2009 Feb 7
Hey Fellow Food lovers,

I just found an amazing website in Ottawa that has all the best food deals, wings nights, and coupons at restaurants in Ottawa.

www.cheaptonight.com is the name of the site, its pretty amazing.

You can sort deals by your postal code, right reviews and print coupons. All for free too.

It's about time someone made a site with all these great specials.

2009 Feb 9
Hi

Thanks for the info, just so you know though, we like transparancy in our advertising. If it is local and useful it is usually left up.

Your post reads like you found-ed the site, not found it. And your handle gives you away, LOL

Good luck with your venture.

2009 Feb 9
Lol, OliversRocl you are quite perceptive, I'm a good friend of the founder and thought I might spread the word for my buddy. I plead guilty on that one.

Despite my terrible attempt to pass off as a casual forum poster, I'll say with complete honesty that it's a really useful website, with some great deals and coupons and I really think a lot of Ottawa Foodies members will like. After all, who doesnt love wings nights, 1/2 price specials on burgers, apps & pizza, and 2 for 1 coupons.

I'd love to here some feedback www.cheaptonight.com, so please do share what you like/dislike.

Cheers,

Jeff

2009 Feb 9
No worries Jeff, lol.

I post stuff here for my personal chef business occasionally too, so long as it's useful no one minds.

I for one bookmarked cheaptonight.com thank-you for the link.

2009 Feb 9
As much as I don`t mind personally when people spread the word, when the word is written like an advertisement, holy crap, it`s a turn-off. Remind me to bookmark this site though!

2009 Feb 9
Food Specials - I'm with Lady Who Brunches on this one... ads are a turn-off as is self-promotion (unless one is tactful about it like other users who frequent here like OliversRock, Koko, Chocoholic). It is all about how it's done IMO.

So as much as I'd like to think you've come clean on this one... I'm still doubtful... If you are just "friends" with the owner, then why the website link for feedback? If we were going to give YOU feedback it would be right here.

Sorry, but this is how I see it... I'd no sooner give out a "friends" business phone number if I wanted someone to call me. ???

So for that reason alone cheaptonight is not on my list of foodie things to check out.

2009 Feb 9
Do restaurants have to pay to be listed? I'd love to see a consolidated listing of all 'wing nights' across the city of Ottawa!

2009 Feb 10
Hey Jeff,

Looks like you won't have to spam in forums for long, your website got blogged in the Ottawa Citizen today.

communities.canada.com

Congrats,

PS - site is pretty cool, bookmarked it

2009 Feb 11
I agree with Monty: A list of wing nights, or cheap pint nights would be great! I also think that deals that are subject to a specific group--seniors, students, family (ie kids eat free) should be groupped, and not necessarily appear on the front page.

2009 Feb 11
i also don't really approve of advertising in forums, but Jeff, looks like you've got a great product and I definitely love the site. Great idea, and I can't believe this hasn't been done before because it's something that I can see myself using regularly.

thanks!

2009 Feb 11
Thanks for the endorsement Jeff...er I mean New User 1559 ;-) I wonder if FF has checked IP addresses on this one...

2009 Feb 11
in response to monty's and ladie who brunches post, it looks like there's a search feature on the homepage where you can filter your deals accordin to "wings, students, kids etc. so you don't have to sort through them all.

Jeff, you may want to tell your "friend" to make this feature stand out a bit more, because it took me a while to find it

2009 Feb 11
In the interests of full disclosure I should point out that three of the participants in this forum topic appear to be either the owners of the cheaptonight site or their friends.

Guys, I'd suggest the classiest thing to do would be to come clean...

2009 Feb 11
Ah-ha... Pete-In-Ottawa - I knew it was you. LOL

Fresh Foodie - Thanks for your research. The process of elimation in this one is easy as the remaining posters (but one) is a longtime regular. HAHAHA.

I for one just don't get it... who do these people think they are fooling?

What is wrong with full and honest disclosure... you want to promote your business, or your "friends" business, fine just be upfront about it. Otherwise you are an out-and-out SHILL, plain & simple.

And I have no respect for that... there are ways to do this that offends no one and if anything will up your reputation (and probably your business in the long run). Why not choose the high road?

2009 Feb 12
Food & Think... I was just outing the culprits, not admitting to being one of them (which I am certainly not). Let's not tarnish my good name ;-)

2009 Feb 12
Pete-In-Ottawa - Grateful for your "scientific" knowledge, it's always appreciated.

TO ALL

Now a "mathematical" question:

If the topic has 9 Posters, and 6 of them are Regular Posters... how many "POSERS" remain?

We don't have to name names, they should be outing themselves.

2009 Feb 12
I'll vote for Food Specials, New user WXYZ, and... MONTY! ;)

btw - advertising in forums doesn't bother me, if you don't like it 'Ignore this topic'

2009 Feb 12
Chimichimi - Advertising doesn't bother me either... as long as people are upfront about it. Don't "pose" that you know of a place, when infact you own the place... or have any other interested in the venture. Just be upfront about it. You can't Review something honestly and fairly if you are baised, just admit it. I for one will give my business to someone who comes here and tells about their business honestly (and usually passionately) before I'll go to someone who clearly is "pretending" that they just "heard about it".

Also it never fails to amaze me that the SHILLS are inevitably caught by their own words or actions.