Kuki Wakame? [General]

2009 Feb 6
Does anyone know where to buy a big container of Kuki Wakame (wakame stems you find in wakame salads - not the big wakame leaves you find in miso soups)? I love to eat the wakame salads they offer in a lot of sushi take-out places but I want to buy a big container to have at home.

2009 Feb 6
You can find the seaweed for this at (my personal favourite) Market 168 (www.ottawafoodies.com) and, I'm guessing, most other Asian grocery stores. The strands may be a bit broader (linguini-like).
Market 168 has prepackaged (near the seafood counter) AND large tubs in the refrigerated section that you can serve yourself from. Note: this is just the seaweed. But the salad is REALLY easy to make. More about that here...
www.ottawafoodies.com

Also common at Asian stores are small foil packs of seaweed salad. These are usually oil-packed seaweed that come with enclosed tiny flavour packs. Just a friendly warning: those little packs contain incredibly (!) HOT chile oils.

Edit: Not into making it yourself or the super-hot? Sushi Go and Tea Express www.ottawafoodies.com has prepared containers (500 gram). Very good and 5 bucks or so.