For all the wine sno... er, lovers. [General]

2009 Feb 6
I enjoyed that article! Not a big surprise really -- it goes along with the study that found people rated wines much higher if they knew they were expensive.

Wine tasting is very fun but we certainly have to take it with a grain of salt.

2009 Feb 6
That's why I'm insisting on a double-blind test for the big coffee tasting!

2009 Feb 7
imo, these sort of articles are useful reminders on what we've known all along, whether applied to wine ... or, for that matter, food, restaurants and any domain involving subjective experience.

There are probably "objective" criteria that can be drawn on, e.g., the way a particular vintage of grapes are grown. But, in the end of the day, this article reminds me to regard with some (or even deep) suspicion those who would try to convince us of their capacity to judge on our behalf. And by extension, its a reminder to not take my own reviews / critiques too seriously. ;)

2009 Feb 7
I would still like to see an organization like, say, the Algonquin College sommelier program, invite the top four or five wine critics in Ottawa to a blind tasting, including some of the same wines, judged at different times. Maybe do a blind tasting on one day, and another tasting the next. For good measure, organizers could use special glasses for the tasting so judges are unable to see whether the wines are red or white -- now, that might be interesting. Those critics who like to festoon their credentials with all kinds of "best-wine-critic-in-the-world" etc. etc. accolades come readily to mind ... Now, that would quickly put things into perspective. Let's see the Emperor's clothes ...

2009 Feb 7
Omni Ron, does professional decorum preclude naming the critics you'd like to put to that challenge? Just curious if you had specific ones in mind?

Or, perhaps more in line w/ Fresh Foodies philosophy of accentuating the positive, anyone you'd recommend to a semi-novice? A reviewer who doesn't exude the sort of pretension you're referring to?

2009 Feb 7
My experiences with good wine are like my experiences with good music.

With different days/settings (including variations in state of mind/health/alertness/tiredness level etc.), my palate or hearing can consume exacly the same wine or song/musical piece and I respond differently.

The wine can generally taste the same but it's nuances can be perceived differently. I do notice that the amount of differences I can perceive is direcltly related to the complexity of the wine to begin with.

The same thing holds true for music. I can hear the exact same music and and it sounds quite similar to earlier listenings but I either hear 'new' things or perceive the same passages differently. Again, the amount of difference is related to the complexity of the music.

Complexity is important. I taste Brights House Wine the same ALL the time and I get the SAME thing out of a Johnny Cash song each and every time. I'm not knocking either .... I'll consume both (and at the same time !!).

My palate/hearing is not as consistant as I used to think .... and ALOT more complicated due to the BRAIN and not the tongue/nose or ear drums/cochlea.

It's sooo interesting being a human being. ('Being' being the operative word.)

2009 Feb 7
To answer "Itchy Feet," I think the newspaper wine critics should be included, just because of who they are and the platform they enjoy. (I have no reason to think they are not qualified, by the way ... I'm only curious.)
I would also include Natalie MacLean, who writes the Nat Decants wine blog, numerous wine articles for Food & Drink, Ottawa magazine, among others. She is a local wine celebrity, has written a popular wine book, and lists credentials that include "Winner World Best Drink Writer" and "Four-Time Winner James Beard Foundation" and "Five-Time Winner Assoc. Food Journalists" and "Six-Time Winner Bert Green Award" and "Best Wine Literature Book Gourmand World Cookbook Awards." Very impressive.
For good measure, I'd throw in someone from the local wine appreciation schools -- DiVino and La Vendage and Algonquin. By my count, that should make an impressive group of six to eight.
Think any would agree?

2009 Feb 8
"Think any would agree?"

Most would not ... way too much too lose.

The (sucessfully) technically trained ones could probably cut it.

Fine tuning of the palate takes lots of time and practice. It requires lowering the detection of certain chemicals, picking out compounds that are masked by others, developing a 'feel' on the palate etc.

If these skills are mastered then the wine critic can be consistant. The consistancy is based on objectivity and not subjectivity.

Inconsistancy can also arise from the nature of the measuring tool ... the palate which is hooked up to a human brain. And both of these can perform inconsistantly due to many factors like the ones I mentioned above ... ones health and state of being are just a couple.

The proposed wine tasting challange sounds interesting and should have a few showing off their 'New Emperors Clothes'.

2009 Feb 9
To add to Captain Caper's comment about the complexity of wine and the influence on tastes, don't forget that from one bottle to another the wine can taste dramatically different depending on the state of the cork or storing techniques. I have witnessed first hand the same wine/same vintage taste vastly different between 3 bottles (and all came from the same cellar!!). This is why we test them in a restaurant before the whole bottle is poured.

And other smells around you, temperatures of the room you are in and your health from one day to the next can all have an influence on what you taste.

That's why I say, drink what you like. Don't let anything influence your judgement. Although, Natalie MacLean has never steered me wrong. And no pretention on that girl, she's all about the enjoyment cheap or expensive. Cheers Nat!!

2009 Feb 9
Oh ya, and more on the bunk that is the wine industry and so-called experts. Check out this documentary: Mondovino (if you haven't done so already). Robert Parker's dog does his business on the wine-master's floor. And the interviewer catches him (Robert Parker...not the dog) several times contradicting himself. Hilarious!

By the end you are rooting for the small producers. More small winemakers at LCBO!!

2009 Feb 11
As I've always said, food & wine is subjective... we don't all own the same taste buds or sensory capabilities. C'est la vie.

Fat Cat - I'm all in favour of the small winemakers getting into the LCBO... as long as the WORLD'S BIGGEST WINE BUYER (aka the GIAGANTIC LCBO) stops the practice of ripping them off... (giving them $ 3 for a $ 15 of wine) until then, I'll support my Ontario winemaker by buying the best his vineyard has to offer direct from the Winery (either in person or via their wine clubs / internet).