PG Tips tea [General]

2009 Jan 30
Would anyone happen to know where I can find PG Tips tea in the Ottawa area. I'm feeling a little home sick and that would hit the spot! Thanks!

2009 Jan 31
Newstella - I know I've seen them in my travels about town... think it was just a plain old grocery store that had them... all I gotta do now is remember which one. (I'll get back to you).

2009 Jan 31
I've seen them around, too, but beware! The ones I've seen are all in the normal tea bag shape, and not in the pyramid bags!

2009 Jan 31
Not sure about PG Tips specifically, but the Bagel Shop in Westboro has a huge selection of higher end teas from around the world. Would be worth checking out IMHO....

www.bagelshop.ca

2009 Jan 31
Cough,cough,Hintonburg,cough.

Yeah, I know ... give it a rest already ;-)

2009 Jan 31
Chuff,Chuff,Wellington Village,Chuff.

The Bagel Shoppe is just north of Champlain Park (Home of the Ottawa Mosque and Captain Caper) !!

2009 Jan 31
"Wellington Village" is name made up by real estate agents who were pandering to people who thought "Hintonburg" was beneath them. Hintonburg ends at Island Park.

From the guy who wrote the book on it : "The original settlement extended from about present-day Bayview Road almost to Island Park Drive and between two railway lines marked today by Scott Street (the Canadian Pacific right-of-way now used by the Transitway) and the Queensway (earlier route of the Grand Trunk Railway)."

www3.sympatico.ca

2009 Jan 31
Captain C & Zym - Ok, only speaking as an outsider... one who lives in the burbs... when I now drive down Richmond Road / Wellington there appears almost 3 developed trendy areas (in that there are short breaks of a couple of blocks between them)... I was thinking (at least in my mind's eye) that one was Westboro, one was Wellington Village and the third was Hintonburg. Not sure what streets were the actual breaks (not that familiar with the area).

Westboro Village the oldest of the trendsetters is pretty clear. The other two not so much... there definitely seems to be a break between say where the Wellington Gastro Pub is (west of Parkdale) and where the Elmdale Tavern is (east of Parkdale)... and I think there is a distinct difference between those two areas in particular.

When someone says Wellington Village I see the area west of Parkdale (BTW, it could have just as easily be named Parkdale Village or Holland Village in my mind, seeing as the Parkdale Market has been a corner of this district for ever)... when someone says Hintonburg Village I see the area east of Parkdale.

Ok I know that logically it is all the area once (and still) known as Hintonburg on a map, and that "Hinton Avenue" is west of Parkdale, but the Hintonburg Community Association and Hintonburg Park is east of Parkdale.

I'm sure I cannot be the only one who sees these two particular areas (east & west of Parkdale) as distinct areas in their development of trendy shops, restaurants, etc.

As residents in the area, any thoughts?

2009 Jan 31
The funny thing is that the Hintonburg Community Association claims "turf" up to Holland, then from there the so-called "Wellington Village" CA takes over. There is no break at all at that corner. There is sort of a break east of Parkdale til you get to the Royal Bank (right across from my house). On the South side that's where the Grace is, and on the North side the big apartment buildings.

Anyway, I'm just on a bit of a mission to re-educate people and to re-claim the break-away Republic of so-called "Wellington Village" (Dr Evil quotey-fingers).

Consider yourself edumacated.

In another 5 years or so Hintonburg will be so trendy that the people of so-called "Wellington Village" (quotey fingers) will be wanting back in anyway ... so we won't have to take them by force.

EDIT: p.s. in my re-education sessions I used to rant about how EVIL real-estate agents are, but a good friend of mine recently became one so now I can't anymore :-(

2009 Jan 31
fwiw, i live closer to the Westboro area, but (with exceptions, like the Candy Store) would gladly swap the entire restaurant / foodie district in my 'hood for the ones in yours, Zym. So, in certain respects (restaurants / taverns), i'd say Hintonburg's (or whatever you / evil-realtors call the area) already "arrived".

2009 Feb 1
Timely arrival...

So today along with my copy of the Ottawa Citizen I receive a small book entitled "Westboro Village Magazine" which is put out by the Westboro Village Business Improvement Associaton.

Anyways, this little magazine, is filled with nice ads, and glossy photos of places in Westboro and people having heaps of fun (at Westfest, I believe). There is also a map in the centre of the booklet that shows Westboro Village extends from Golden Avenue in the west to Island Park Drive in the east, and from the Ottawa River Parkway in the north to Byron Avenue in the south. The front cover of the booklet says "Westboro Vilage - Richmond Road between Island Park & Golden, Picton & Danforth, Ottawa".

Anyways nicely done... the ads definitely have brought to my attention some spots that I otherwise miss when I cruise down Richmond Road. So besides getting to my favourites, I need to be more aware of new additions... mind you, I'll probably wait until Spring to stroll this area and explore further, it's not something I usually do in the Winter.

2009 Feb 2
So, back to Newstella's question about PG Tips.........that was the topic of this thread I think? :):):)

PG Tips is available at the Scottish and Irish store - i just bought some at the Innes road location - they also have a location in the west end somewhere but you might want to call to make sure they have it in stock.......

2009 Feb 2
I must get back to the Hintonburg/Wellington Village chit chat.

The boundry between the two (and thus the existance of Wellington Village) was made quite clear to me about 8 or 9 years ago.

I was standing outside the very new Royal Oak (or should I say Royal Joke) having a 'smoke break' with a few friends. The Royal Oak is on Wellington between Parkdale and Holland.

A street walker struck up a conversation with us after we declined her solicitations. After a few minutes, she said she had to move on back to Hintonburg ? We asked: 'Why?'. She told us she would be in trouble with the cops for where she was. She went on to say that the cops told her and others in her trade to stay in Hintonburg and not to go west of Parkdale.

Oh course things have changed in Hintonburg alot since then. I no longer see business men getiing a little service from 'the girls' on their way into work.

2009 Feb 2
Great thread.

Tea, Hintonburg turf wars, and er...women of the night...

2009 Feb 3
KSW - Is your PG Tips in pyramid bags, or boring bags? ;)

2009 Feb 4
Momomoto - they are very unboring pyramids!!

Get them while you can! They might sell out fast after this thread.....

2009 Feb 4
FYI, The Scottish & Irish Store - www.scottishandirishstore.com can be found in the West end at 194 Robertson Road (same mall as Zola's), and in the East end at 1713 St. Laurent Blvd.

The website says you can order online.