OT : Nortel bankruptcy [General]

2009 Jan 14
My apologies to Fresh Foodie and the rest of you for this shameless plug. As you've probably heard, Nortel has files for bankruptcy protection today. I've been expecting this for a long time and have been sending my resume around but with no nibbles yet. Now that this news is in I'm tapping into some of the places I previous did not want to tap into - like posting off-topic messages in some of my favorite hangouts.

So, if any of you happen to know of someone looking for a top-notch Systems and Network Administrator, please send them my resume :

www.alanmckay.com

I do Linux, UNIX, Windows, networks, switches, file servers, web servers, database servers, mail servers, VPNs and a whole whack of other stuff. I've got over 15 years of experience.

No, I have not lost my job yet. No word on that - just "business as usual" for now. But it's only a matter of time.

Happy eating everyone!

2009 Jan 14
When I read the news this morning, I immediately thought of you guys - I know a lot of people in Ottawa who work for Nortel. :(

Good luck on the job search! If you were in Toronto, I could probably hook you up with something. ;) And if I DO hear of anything in Ottawa, I'll message you.

2009 Jan 14
Sorry to hear about your woes. I'll keep my fingers crossed but unfortunately I don't have any connections in Ottawa. Maybe you can become a professional food-blogger!

2009 Jan 14
yeah, sorry to hear all this (though not too surprised, i guess).

Seems like there could be something you can do to combine professional skills and personal interests? An open-source, php-based inventory system for restaurants maybe? Or, a home-canning label system?

2009 Jan 14
Zym - So sorry to hear the news... probably a good thing you are being proactive. I will keep my ear to the ground, but as you know there are a H3LL of a lot high tech jobs that have disappeared in recent years...

Anyways, as the others have said you should honestly consider combining your two obvious talents... you never cease to entertain us here on OF, and I'm positive that many many people have learned much from your Beer postings.

2009 Jan 15
Zym, I do similar type stuff for the gov't, so I'll definitely keep an ear out. I'd strongly recommend talking to some contracting agencies, like ExcelITR. Usually temp jobs lead to something bigger, it certainly worked well for me.

2009 Jan 15
Hey Zy ... As your Golden Handcuffs turn to lead, time to reconsider Beau's.

... and do you remember saying: "I don't like high tech all that much any more ..."

Here is your calling !!

Link ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---

2009 Jan 15
Of course i recall saying that Captain, I say it pretty much every day!

But there are still lots of golden handcuffs out there in high tech - even in the government. I'll gladly do what I can so that my wife can stay at home with the kids like she wants to do. That ain't going to happen working at a brewery - even a progressive small one like Beau's.

I do enjoy the nuts-and-bolts of high tech. So there is always something to keep me occupied.

2009 Jan 15
Zymurgist: A friend of mine works as a sysadmin in Toronto, but he has a tonne of contacts in Ottawa. I'll see if he can pass along anything he hears.

2009 Jan 16
Yay! I got paid today!

Unfortunately it seems that our US employees did not :-(

2009 Jan 16
Ouch! That's got to hurt!

2009 Jan 16
Sorry to hear about this. Have you considered approaching a headhunter/recruiting/staffing agency? Seems to be commonplace in the IT industry.